Okay, so i have been looking to purchase a new bass amp to use for playing gigs and jamming for quite some time now. I play mostly classic rock/blues/jam stuff (Grateful dead, Allman Bros, Phish, Blind melon, Led Zep etc.)

After doing alot of research ive pretty much deceided on the ashdown MAG 300 series. So, this is where i have some questions. Firstly i noticed that on the MAG 300 amps, the 2X10 and the 4X10 both have 300 watts of output, how does an amp with twice as many speakers have the same volume?

Secondly, what is the difference tonewise between a 2X10 and a 4X10, and am I better off shelling out the extra $100 US for the 4X10?

Thanks in advance for any help, and Im also still very open to any suggestions for different amps in the 500-600 range.
Quote by The FAQ
4x10 – This is a cabinet containing 4 speakers which have a 10 inch diameter. It is one of the most common speaker combinations and has lots to offer. The small diameter speakers lead to punchy and articulate high end, some may say it lacks the low-end oomph but it definitely keeps it tight. They have lots of volume due to the large mass of air moving.

2x10 – Now just two 10 inch speakers, more portable than the 4x10 but has the same glass like top end but less volume and less low note boom. It’s definitely going to have less punch than a 4x10 but you’ll still get the basic tonal properties

I'd say it definely worth it.
Quote by Deadbassist135

how does an amp with twice as many speakers have the same volume?

cause its the watts not the number of speakers that decides volume
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by CaptainJack666

It's also the amount of air being moved. A 4x10 will be louder than a 2x10.
Quote by CaptainJack666
The watts decides the loudness, the speaker area decides the volume of air being moved.
That is why in yesteryear 2 4x12s sounded so good, although they only totalled 200 watts handling for both cabs the volume of air that they moved sounded far better to the ear than one 12" 200 watt speaker would.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn