Alright, so I got a class at school called Shop and the teacher told us since our semester is ending soon that we can choose a final project to work on. While thinking about it, I decided on a guitar, in hopes I can persuade him to buy all the neccessary wood to make it. The project might not be where I add all the hardware and electronics to it, just make the body and neck and whatever else I need done.

So, I've always liked PRS, I recently bought my first Fender Strat and even though I like the PRS, the strat has my heart. I decided to do this the PRS style, the double cutaway style, but I wanted to have the electronics styled like

http://www.prsguitars.com/513/index.html

a 3 way switch to switch from clear humbucking, to single coil, to heavy humbucking and a 5 way pick-up selector. Instead of 1 volume 1 tone, maybe 1 volume and 2 tone. The way I want this guitar is to be fairly versatile.

So, any tips? I don't like mahogany wood, I was thinking of going for the Alder and Ash, but I don't know how much it'd be to get those. The neck was going to be maple, I never liked rosewood and I was going to make the maple look vintage.
Are you going to paint it? If so go with poplar for the body it's very cheap and sounds like alder but it doesn't look good.
you might as well go with 2 vol 2 tone in my opinion, it's not much harder to make/wire.
i doubt you'll be able to make a contoured body like that just so you know, you'll probably have to make it relatively flat.
What do you mean by contoured? Only things I know based on this is like, the electronics and what wood is used with what.

If Poplar looks ugly, why would I want to use it? I'm trying to make this guitar not only versatile, but I want it to look amazing. When I play it, I want people to ask me after a gig who made it and everything.
Poplar is used under solid finishes often. It's a good tonewood, good workability andpretty damned cheap too.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Sounds like a great idea.

Why can't he make a carved top body? It is difficult sure, but not if you put time into it.

We say use poplar if you are doing a solid colour finish because you won't see the wood.

If you want the wood to show through, use swamp ash, it has nice grain.

If you want your guitar to look like that PRS, you will need what is called a veneer (thin) or cap (thick). What these are, are pieces of attractively grained woods, often figured like curly or flame, that you glue on top of the guitar. This way, when you do a see-through finish, you see a very nice wood with eye-pleasing features. That particular PRS has a cao that is flame maple.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Sounds like a great idea.

Why can't he make a carved top body? It is difficult sure, but not if you put time into it.

We say use poplar if you are doing a solid colour finish because you won't see the wood.

If you want the wood to show through, use swamp ash, it has nice grain.

If you want your guitar to look like that PRS, you will need what is called a veneer (thin) or cap (thick). What these are, are pieces of attractively grained woods, often figured like curly or flame, that you glue on top of the guitar. This way, when you do a see-through finish, you see a very nice wood with eye-pleasing features. That particular PRS has a cao that is flame maple.

You don't "need" a cap, it would be maple though if you want it to sound like a prs use a mahogany body with a maple cap, the cap does not have to be figured but it looks better if it does.
I'm not going to make it sound like a PRS, I've owned a mahogany guitar, never liked the sound. I don't know if I'll go with a solid color of anything yet, I mean I was thinking of making it like, White, then gold hardware and black knobs. Anyways, I guess I should be focusing on the type of style I want it. The guitar is going to be built for a friend, he is pretty much too poor to get one, so I figured I should try to make him one. He likes the LP look and stuff, but wants a trim, thank god for PRS.

So heres what the final outcome will be:

http://www.prsguitars.com/sesinglecuttrem/index.html

LP body with a trem, I'm probably going to use some Alder or Swamp Ash, not mahogany, I want a bluesy sound for it.

The headstock won't be the same, its going to have the tuning pegs in a straight line, like ibanez or fender. Maple neck and that should be about it.

How thick will the wood have to be for me to be able to pull off a trem on a LP style body?
For a trem the wood should be at least 1 3/4" thick like a normal guitar regular les pauls are thicker though.
Is there anything special about a carved top?

So 1ft and 3/4 in. thick for a LP with a trem? Or does it need to be thicker than that?
Quote by SuperstarPunani
Is there anything special about a carved top?

So 1ft and 3/4 in. thick for a LP with a trem? Or does it need to be thicker than that?

It's pretty much just for looks on solid body electrics, it makes it thinner around the edges and makes it a little more comfortable.
Hmm, I don't think im going to do a carved top, unless you think it would actually look good on a LP body, but I dont recall seeing anything like that so I dont know how that would work out.
yup love prs especially since ive met prs many times he went to my high school and comes back every year amazing guy
If your planning on having a carved top and a trem its gotta be pretty thick...
For example, if you carve the top on like a normal strat, depending on how deep the carve is your body might end up being about 1cm thick which is definatly not what you want.

May I also ask what this means:
Quote by SuperstarPunani
a 3 way switch to switch from clear humbucking, to single coil, to heavy humbucking and a 5 way pick-up selector.

Your saying you want to have two pickup selectors, the 3 way switch switches between humbucker - single coil - humbucker, and the 5 way switch, well thats going to be kinda complicated, there is so many options, but it still switches between the 3 pickups, which meens you can not have two pickup switches, it will just not work you have to have one.

IMO i think that you should do a carved top, poplar body, flamed maple cap, curly or flamed maple neck and for the fretboard I would say an off cut from the maple cap or the curly neck. Or you could just leave the fretboard and the neck just all one piece with the truss rod routed from the back.
As for electronics, 2 humbuckers, 1 volume, 1 tone, 3 way switch.
And the other stuff, graphite nut, some nice quality tuners or locking tuners, and this bridge and no pickguard

Thats my opinion but you may want something completly different

EDIT: carved top flamed maple LP
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Nov 14, 2008,
Quote by Øttər
If you want your guitar to look like that PRS, you will need what is called a veneer (thin) or cap (thick).
Quote by 420 FREAK
You don't "need" a cap

Sure...?

Quote by SuperstarPunani
So 1ft and 3/4 in. thick?

1 and 3/4 inches thick.

Just FYI, the mahogany won't make any perceivable difference in tone. You can make it out of any wood you want really, the tone comes from like 98% amp, pickups, and player.

So you want it to look exactly like the PRS you linked to, same colour and everything?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Alright, I'll do a carved top. I decided on what type of paintjob, its the Jackson swirl on that DKQM guitar.

This one:

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumcitygl/stores/1/images/products/Jackson%20PROFESSIONAL%20%20%20DK2T%20DINKY%20%20%20%20Eerie%20Dess%20Swirl%20%20%20%20%206-String%20Electric%20Guitar.jpg

I should be able to start this project Monday or within the next 2 weeks. I dont know if I'll be able to keep you posted with pictures, so whenever I take this stuff home to finish on my own, I'll be sure to get some pictures up and running :P
Good luck with that swirl...

I do believe it is a decal. I don't think factories make swirl guitars in mass quantities. Maybe I am wrong though.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
I don't know if its possible but a see thru swirl with flamed maple under neath would look really good! I don't think you can though
Well, gents, I'm going to be researching that swirl, If I find a way to make it, I'll definintely post a tutorial. Once I got this thing done and hopefully with that swirl, this LP will look amazing :]!

So, I guess I'll just go with Mahogany wood. What type of wood do I need for this fretboard stuff? I know you put rosewood on top(I think?) anything under it?