hey people!
So yeah my ban ended wooo hooo Anyways i ve been thinking and realizing that many people (a lot more than i thought) own or are looking at jcm900s.
Now there is A LOT of criticizing going on about the amps sound and what everyone does is compare it to a jcm800 which is just retarded....a jcm900 is meant for modern, aggressive playing and is not your everyday Marshall. I will be talking about MY jcm900 4101 100w combo (with jj EL34L tubes) for this thread and anyone is welcome to add details or bicker about the amp.

First off, the poweramp is flawless, as its been used in combination with many preamps, which is what we call slaving. The poweramp in my combo starts to add its beautiful saturation at about 1.5 on the master volume, and only after this is the amp really producing the sound its supposed to.

The preamp, many will say is what makes this amp bad. Ignorant (retarded) people have said that the preamp is actually SOLID STATE...of course they say this because of the clipping diode found BEFORE the preamp tubes. Now forgive me if i am wrong, but if this were true, every tube amp with an OD pedal boosting it (OD pedals work based on a clipping diode) would be a solid state amp. So this just means people are plain stupid.

So the preamp is generally the part of the amp which receives criticism, and the only valid reason for this is that its voice with a slight mid scoop, and a slight treble spike. This can ALL be rectified using an EQ pedal (IN THE FX LOOP!!!) OR with a simple mod in the poweramp to correct the voicing. I use my combo with a MXR 10 band EQ in the fx loop and a Maxon OD808 (ANOTHER DIODE=EVEN MORE SOLID STATE RIGHT GUYS????) in front of the amp, and i get a perfectly THICK and FULL metal tone which can be seen at the youtube link further down.

So to sum up, and let this thread get going, this amp is a perfect metal/clean amp. It can get really high gain (arguably the highest of any Marshall) and has arguably the best cleans of ANY Marshall, thick yet chimney and bright. For you people that DONT like the diode sound on the 2nd channel(although thats what you get from any OD pedal in front of any amp) you can max the gain on the 1st channel (the clean channel), and use any tubescreamer (or other) based OD pedal to push it into metal territory. What some people also dont know, is that your guitar has a volume knob...that's what you use on this amp to get your rock-ish sound. I have pulled off the likes of soft metal like iron maiden, to bluesy SRV tones JUST BY PLAYING WITH THE VOLUME AND TONE ON MY GUITAR!!!!

Lastly (promise), people compare it to a jcm800. So thats what i ll do to prove them wrong. A jcm900 will kick the shit out of a jcm800 at bedroom level FOR ANY TONE! THAT MY FRIENDS is fact. My friend and colleague owns a jcm800 mater volume head and cab. This is all due to the diode in the jcm900 (not so bad now eh???). At cranked levels, a jcm900 will STILL have a better clean tone, STILL have a better aggressive metal tone and will be able to reach 80-90% of the rock/hard rock/blues tones of a jcm800, providing that people realize what that knob on their guitar does.

Here's the link for some actual playing, cause talking wont do much shit. Make sure to read descriptions. http://www.youtube.com/user/georgakis187
New videos are coming very soon, as these are all before i got the MXR 10 band EQ.
ALL OF THESE TONES ARE AT THE MINIMUM POSSIBLE ON THIS AMP AND ARE USUALLY AT NIGHT!!!

Have fun and let's keep it constructive.
cut your hair

edit:
ok i just thought it'd be funny if the first response to the thread you seem to pour your soul into was some dick saying an unnecessary comment

but in all seriousness

my friend is looking into a new amp

he plays alot of modern rock and one of his favorite bands is muse

you think this amp would be suitable for him

i know your gonna say yes, but why ?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Last edited by timzee117 at Nov 13, 2008,
I actually prefer the JCM 600 over the 900, but, either way, I enjoyed my 900 when I had it.

I don't agree with your 900>800 statement though.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by timzee117
cut your hair

edit:
ok i just thought it'd be funny if the first response to the thread you seem to pour your soul into was some dick saying an unnecessary comment

but in all seriousness

my friend is looking into a new amp

he plays alot of modern rock and one of his favorite bands is muse

you think this amp would be suitable for him

i know your gonna say yes, but why ?

cant say man...havent checked out too much muse. but yeah i mean if hes after tones mentioned above, then by all means.

And no i m not cutting my beautiful blonde locks
Quote by mcrfobtai
it's ok. I have a lot of disdain for modern Marshall's anyway. But JCM800 still pwns the 900.

well if you tried to illustrate why, and HOW it "pwns" the 900 we d be able to discuss this
Ive owned every-single-JCM900

The best is the original MK3 with no reverb. (make sure they are loaded with the EL34s)

The worst are the 4500 or 4501s with sovtek 5881 - brittle as an old lady with no bottom end, harsh mids and pissy top end - it just doesnt cut live and has no presence or balls.

If you find a good MK3 - it can rival the later 800s

Still, the old 800s will provide more oomph than any of the 900s

PLUS! - IF YOU WANT 800 BALLS WITH 900 GAIN - GET A SILVER JUBILEE - SIMPLE AS.
Quote by georgakis187

And no i m not cutting my beautiful blonde locks

everytime the owner of the restaurant i work at always reminds me that i need to cut my hair and smile. or im fired

bummer

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
everytime the owner of the restaurant i work at always reminds me that i need to cut my hair and smile. or im fired

bummer

"ditch that zero and find yourself a hero"....?

I don't give a shit what other people think. I like my 900 otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

I've managed to get a passable bluesy tones with it, and that was using an EMG 81.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by davedoom
Ive owned every-single-JCM900

The best is the original MK3 with no reverb. (make sure they are loaded with the EL34s)

The worst are the 4500 or 4501s with sovtek 5881 - brittle as an old lady with no bottom end, harsh mids and pissy top end - it just doesnt cut live and has no presence or balls.

If you find a good MK3 - it can rival the later 800s

Still, the old 800s will provide more oomph than any of the 900s

PLUS! - IF YOU WANT 800 BALLS WITH 900 GAIN - GET A SILVER JUBILEE - SIMPLE AS.

Look...the jcm900 is known for its tight bottom end (massive low end with the g12-100 speaker in my combo) and its aggressive bite with a beautiful clean channel. You don't get that with a silver jubilee. It's NOT a marshall. It's some kind of Mesa/Marshall hybrid

In all seriousness though, no. You will not get metal tones (at least the ones i want) from another Marshall together with great clean tone and STILL have the ability to play some lighter overdriven stuff.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I don't give a shit what other people think. I like my 900 otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

I've managed to get a passable bluesy tones with it, and that was using an EMG 81.

See i have duncans (jb and jazz) in my RR3, but i m guessing the EMG would really burn the amp up Were you plugged straight into the amp?

Clips or it never happened
Quote by georgakis187
See i have duncans (jb and jazz) in my RR3, but i m guessing the EMG would really burn the amp up Were you plugged straight into the amp?

Clips or it never happened

I was usin my mates ESP viper during practice, plugged straight in, neck pickup, lowered the volume a bit and started messing with settings.

If I had clips they'd be up by now.

I actually need to get it retubed.

I miss playing ma baby
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

900's are good amps, like mcrfobtai said, it's just personal opinion.

Most the people posting here will either be repeating what they've heard off elitist's or pretending to own it or even using a POD/V-Amp with a 900-Preset.
You might get the occasional few that actually have or had the amp with valuable input.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
900's are good amps, like mcrfobtai said, it's just personal opinion.

Most the people posting here will either be repeating what they've heard off elitist's or pretending to own it or even using a POD/V-Amp with a 900-Preset.
You might get the occasional few that actually have or had the amp with valuable input.

You sir, are wise. This thread is partially to eliminate all those who oppose me ( meaning bandwagon 'tards who only function as a recording device).
BuMp!

I'm rocking the 4100 and was pretty bummed right off the bat. Ice-picky to say the least. However, after adding an EQ as well as an OD and using the effects loops "smartly" I find it to be quite the beast. Not as cutting as I would have hoped, but I'm using a LP custom...If I plug a strat in there it cuts diamonds (but gets pretty noisy).

I see the threadstarter has the combo...care to share some EQ settings?

Anyone else with this rig care to share as well? I find that boosting the EQ as much as possible while keeping the gain low (around 4.5) makes the drive channel very articulte. Then, I kick on a Sparkle Drive to give my solos more sustain and body.

The 900 definitely moves some air...not for bedrooms. Luckily, my neighbor is both old, and deaf.
'68 RI LP Custom
'90 JCM900 4100 + EQ & Boost