Ok so I honestly dont know any chords, or chord names really for that matter. And right now I'm trying to learn a song by Rise Against called "Hero Of War ". In the tab it shows what chords you should be playing, and since I dont know any chords I use the "All Guitar Chords Lesson to find out what the chords are and what not.

The song doesn't have too many chords. That's why I chose it for me to learn some basic chords, but in the lesson, for example, the chord "E" has multiple frettings/ finger placements. I was just wondering what I'm doing or seeing wrong here??

And also in the first chord of the song, it has chord "B", but in this all guitar chords lesson it shows the chord being farther down the fretboard. I understand it's still the same chord, but how would i be able to tell where I'm supposed to be fretting if the tab only shows the chord fingering?

Sorry for the wall of text but I would REALLY appreciate some help here.

Call me Trey.
There's several different chord shapes to all major shapes. There's a little bit of tonal difference, but in essence, they still have all the notes to be say, an E chord. So it's really your call.
http://www.jamplay.com/guitar-chords/e-major-guitar-chord.html

I think a regular E Major shape will suffice for your song.
And that B chord, barre the 7th fret with your index and fret the rest with your free fingers.

Thanks for actually providing links btw, refreshing change. Good luck man!
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
How would I know what chord shape the chord is meant to be though?
Call me Trey.
It doesn't really matter too much to be honest - later on you'll be able to hear the subtle differences for yourself, but at this stage I'd honestly just go for whichever chord shape is easier. Which one that is depends partly on simply how it's constructed but also on the chords either side of it so pick the one that's easiest to change to and from with respect to the other chords around it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It doesn't really matter too much to be honest - later on you'll be able to hear the subtle differences for yourself, but at this stage I'd honestly just go for whichever chord shape is easier. Which one that is depends partly on simply how it's constructed but also on the chords either side of it so pick the one that's easiest to change to and from with respect to the other chords around it.

Steven gives great advice as always.

As far as I know, the best way is to pick the chord shapes that are the closest. In this case, I'd pick the usual Emaj open chord shape, the usual Amaj open chord shape, the Bmaj with root on 5th string where you only strum the middle 4 strings, same for C#minor and for G#m just do the barre with root on 6th string.

It's also good to listen to the song and then compare to your playing to see if the tone sounds about right.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer