hello everyone. for christmas this year im going to be getting a jackson rhoads. the specs are 22 fret, hard tail (string through) bolt on maple neck, alder body, and DUNCAN DESIGNED pickups. now one of my roomates is giving me a 100$ gift certificate to long and mcquades (canadian music store) and i plan on using it to swap out one of the pickups. i was hoping you guys could make some recommendations for both a good bridge and neck pickup (im gonna decide which one of the two to replace after ive played it so i can decide which one is more lacking). i plan on using tis guitar for downtuning to c mostly and playing metal/metalcore in the vein of arch enemy, old in flames, insomnium, carcass, maybe some bodom and similar music as well as thrash like kreator and exodus. i play through a zoom g2.1u and a marshall mg100hdfx half stack. i currently play a 1993 japanese made jackson stealth and get pretty good tones through this rig for my budget. price is not a big factor in my decision as i can always pay a few extra bucks on top of the gc. also i DO NOT WANT ACTIVES, i find them somewhat limiting and since i have a solid state amp im not really going to be able to use them for their intended purpose. so recommend away!
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Don't swap out pickups that you don't even know are bad yet.
And save the money for a new, all-tube amp. Really.
how did i know i would get that. I can't save money for a tube amp nor do i really have any need for one with what i do. i'm a university student and can't afford one. theres a difference between a 130$ pickup bought with a 100$ gift certificate plus a little extra coin then saving up 800$ or more for a half decent tube amp. its not realistic, i only work in the summer and pay 15000 a yr for school roughly. maybe later in life when i can afford it. if your not going to suggest something then dont answer. anyone else have any good suggestions for pickups?
get a gibson dirty fingers or seymour duncan sh-8 invader pickups.they are very hot and you can get hard tones as well as.
ive never heard of the dirty fingers... il check it out. will it fit a full sized humbucker slot? and also i should add. i know alder has a fairly trebly sound to it so maybe something with some warmth as well as gain?
How do you know that the pups are bad?
And why would you even be buying a new guitar when you have an MG?
and a fully decent AMP (Doesn't have to be tube) can be found for maybe 200-300.
Is that really such a tall price?
i just got the amp and i happen to like what i get out of it for bedroom practice. i need another guitar for downtuning. i have no complaints about my sound at all. i use the amp only for the clean channel which i run my effects through and with the tube amp modeling it sounds pretty good. so no im not getting a new amp. you may disagree with my thoughts but i quite frankly don't care. im happy with my tone and i asked for pickup recommendations not a bunch of ppl telling me to to get a new amp. its not happening. please recommend some pickups.
sorry for the double post. i should also add that i can only comment on the sound of the stock pups in the rhoads from what ive been told but from the sounds of it i could do a lot better with a replacement pickup. i may not replace a thing but i want some pickups in mind in case i do.
If you're so happy with you're tone, why spend money on pickups? Seems like a waste to me. And to be honest, pickups will have little to no effect on your sound. So in the end it's a pointless investment.
ok you dont get it. im happy with my tone with my current guitar. il be receiving a new one for xmas and i want to beef it up, possibly increase the value of it as i will have a free 100$ gift certificate.
i may even be trading in for a laney head with a guy i know. but anyway back to the main question. recommend me some pickups!