My friend is buying this bass
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-HR-Giger-SRXHRG1-Bass?sku=512217

He and I agree that it is one of the most fun basses we have ever played, and the tone is great for metal.

It is for sale for $550 at our local guitar store, and he was wondering if it could become collectable? It was designed by the guy who made the alien and predator characters, and it was on a very limited production run and is no longer being made, so what do you think?
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
anything can become a "collector" item. it all depends on the monetary value it is given in say, forty years, that determines its "worth" as a collectible item.

heck, i collect shot glasses. will they be worth anything money-wise in say, thirty years? no, but the sentimental value is there for me.
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Nov 13, 2008,
For something to become a collectable and appreciate in value, several factors have to be present--the product should be a limited run, have something unique to set it apart from the rest of the market, be high quality, or be the first of something.

That said, a middle of the road standard ibanez bass with a different paintjob won't gain any value over the years.

But I could be wrong

Edit:

It doesnt help the cause that it's not handpainted, it's just a print.

However, if you love it, then buy it for yourself to play, not as an investment.
Last edited by mattocaster99 at Nov 13, 2008,
On the risk of sounding like some appraiser from Antiques roadshow, an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Collectables, which this guitar is, is a very uncertain market. Somewhere down the line, an Ibanez collector might be interested or a H G. Giger collector because it has his art, but how much is a really unknown thing and is completely supply and demand, desirability driven.

As an investment, its a pretty risky one. As a bass you play, a good Ibanez with good tone and playability.
it wont be collectable,

there are another giger series i think, where the artwork is engraved into the guitars, VERY limited, retail for $3k (aus), they will be collector items.
*Enter Sig Here*
*jaw drops*

Who cares if it'll be a collectable, it's beautiful!
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
not likely. but a cool look. if I bought one, it would probably be a collectible within 10 years, because I'm just awesome like that...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom