I want my guitar to have better sustain.

I have a bone nut and my bridge is a floating trem... Maybe I'm planning on putting some piece of wood somewhere in my guitar so it would be a locked bridge.

Other than that, I want to know what nut should I get? I have a bone nut for the moment.

Also, how can I improve my sadle's sustain?? I have a pic here of my bridge if it can help. It's a SAT pro II.

Thanks in advance
Eh not really a lot you can do to the guitar, the nut might help a little bit. What is your guitar made out of? The wood used may not sustain very well. Maybe look into a sustain pedal of some sort.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Work on your vibrato technique, it will help no end.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
As far as i know bone is pretty top of the line for sustain. The trem block could help a little for sustain as well but how much only experimentation could tell. If your going for all the tiny things for better sustain having a set neck guitar from the start helps (i cant what neck connection yours has from the picture) and some musicians have told me that lowering the pickups to keep the magnetic pull on the strings to a minimum can help lengthen sustain. All these things could add up to more sustain or not very much but if you really NEED that much more you could always consider a compressor pedal, if you use it lightly you can increase sustain without too much change to your tone. If you go that way don't go too crazy with it though cause heavy compression is known for tone suck.
'62 reissue Mexican Fender Stratocaster.

Fender Blues Junior

Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Electro Harmonix NYC Big Muff
Ibanez TS9 tube screamer
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
Electro Harmonix Micro P.O.G
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

I think my vibrato technique is ok. But I know that something's wrong with my guitar since with other guitars it lasts more.

As far as i know bone is pretty top of the line for sustain. The
trem block could help a little for sustain as well but how much only experimentation could tell. If your going for all the tiny things for better sustain having a set neck guitar from the start helps (i cant what neck connection yours has from the picture) and some musicians have told me that lowering the pickups to keep the magnetic pull on the strings to a minimum can help lengthen sustain. All these things could add up to more sustain or not very much but if you really NEED that much more you could always consider a compressor pedal, if you use it lightly you can increase sustain without too much change to your tone. If you go that way don't go too crazy with it though cause heavy compression is known for tone suck.

I have a compressor around there but I have a doubt about using it. Not realy because of the tone but with compressor, it just makes me feel like playing is easy... I mean, it makes your note sound really clear and I'm afraid that I will suck without a compressor if I use it too much.

And yea my guitar is a set neck.

Also, the wood of my guitar body is mahogany.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

yeah man work on the vibrato and if that doesnt work then you can get a product called the tremol-no and it will increase sustain
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Oh, and this is the internet. I have the right to be a douchebag. Fuck off.
Quote by shift3448
yeah man work on the vibrato and if that doesnt work then you can get a product called the tremol-no and it will increase sustain

My vibrato is alright... dammit.

I just know it's my guitar because everytime I use another guitar it has really more sustain.

I always feel like the bridge won't let the strings sustain because it's floating.
Quote by kevC4
I think my vibrato technique is ok. But I know that something's wrong with my guitar since with other guitars it lasts more.

Some guitars just sustain more, that doesn't mean that your vibrato is as good as it could be and having good vibrato will increase your sustain, no doubt.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Some guitars just sustain more, that doesn't mean that your vibrato is as good as it could be and having good vibrato will increase your sustain, no doubt.

Quote by kevC4

I just know it's my guitar because everytime I use another guitar it has really more sustain.

I always feel like the bridge won't let the strings sustain because it's floating.

/seizure
Quote by kevC4
/seizure

Tell me, can you play the opening notes of For The Love Of God by Steve Vai and sustain them to their full duration?

If not your vibrato could use some work as Vai has always used floating bridges.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Tell me, can you play the opening notes of For The Love Of God by Steve Vai and sustain them to their full duration?

If not your vibrato could use some work as Vai has always used floating bridges.
To be fair, Steve Vai makes use of a Fernandez Sustainer which provides effectively infinite sustain.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
To be fair, Steve Vai makes use of a Fernandez Sustainer which provides effectively infinite sustain.

Touché
Idk if it's your bridge's fault, my strat will sustain way longer than my lp will, with an 1/8" float. A bone nut is pretty much as good as you can get for sustain. A higher gauge of strings will increase it noticeably. Also, your pups could be too close to the strings, and the magnetic pull could markedly decrease your sustain (strats are infamous for this). Hope I helped a little more, I swear, I'm not gonna tell you to work on your vibrato
Quote by MrFlibble

Not during FTLOG. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mDZuNM3HmU4

Your move

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by irishstang_87
He's also playing a far superior guitar to what the TS is. I have decent vibrato, and I can't come close. The guitar makes a huge difference.

All right fine, lets just tell the TS to buy a new guitar then 'cos he isn't going to be able to mod his current guitar to that level is he?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
All right fine, lets just tell the TS to buy a new guitar then 'cos he isn't going to be able to mod his current guitar to that level is he?

Sure. If he was asking how to sustain the main riff of for the love of god.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by kevC4

.... You guys aren't helping >.>
Fernandez sustainer pickups? hahaha infinite sustain!
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by kevC4
.... You guys aren't helping >.>

Sorry, I gave you all the ideas I had in my first post. The only other thing I can think of is to replace your trem springs, which might help a bit. It'll cost you under 10 bucks, worth a try, at least. If none of my ideas above helped out, I'm fresh out.
Hey there, sustain is effected by heaps of things. Heres some food for thought:

- Youre Neck Thru is great for sustain.
- New nuts only really improve sustain of open strings
- Higher Gauge Strings sustain better
- Amount of Distortion and/or compression affects perceived sustain
- (vibrato..

Sustain is also effected by string pull:
- Active pickups have lower string pull
- Raise the action/lower the pickups.

I'm not sure what sustain block your trem has - if it is zinc (cheaper) consider replacing it with a heavier metal, brass or steel.

I've heard good things about sustainer devices though I haven't tried one myself. People have mentioned the Fernandes sustainer here, but there is also the option of using a sustainiac. The sustainiacs don't require routing, and I think they're easier to retrofit than the fernandes, so they could suit you.

Also, for the ppl arguing over the FTLOG riff, the point is moot. No guitar, no matter how expensive, can sustain for that long just by itself. If you look at the youtube link thats been posted you will see that it opens with Vai moving around in front of the guitar speakers/foldback, and creating sustaining notes and changing harmonics. What he is doing here is getting infinite sustain through feedback. Then, when he plays FTLOG, he gets his sustain through feedback.

The sustainer devices fake this feedback, but if you want the really thing, and endless sustain, you need to have the amp WAAAAY loud, and learn to position yourself in front of the cab in the right way.

Hope it helps,

(My first post btw - just joined a few minutes ago... so hi all)
Turn your amp up super loud and stand in front of it, letting the air from the speaker vibrate the strings. Or you could get a Sustainiac Model C or Stealth Sustainer if you wanna spend more money.
Honestly, there is next to nothing that can be done to a guitar to enhance it's sustain. Sustain is determined by how well vibrations transfer through the body, which usually means it's determined by the guitar's wood. The only thing you can really do it use different string gauges. Thicker stings sustain more, but at the cost of how easy they are to play.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Oh yeah, good one flying couch.

I forgot, headstock mass will effect sustain tremendously. The Fat Finger is the only product I'm aware of that is available commercially, but it will work. Even changing your metal tuning keys to prettier wooden ones causes a drop in sustain. I don't think you need a Fat Finger tho – any heavy clamp will work so long as it doesn't mar the finish. (Maybe a heavy capo? tho most capos aren't nearly weighty enough)
Quote by Ty Quinn
Hey there, sustain is effected by heaps of things. Heres some food for thought:

- (1) Youre Neck Thru is great for sustain.
- New nuts only really improve sustain of open strings
- Higher Gauge Strings sustain better
- Amount of Distortion and/or compression affects perceived sustain
- (vibrato..

Sustain is also effected by string pull:
- Active pickups have lower string pull
- Raise the action/lower the pickups.

I'm not sure what sustain block your trem has - if it is zinc (cheaper) consider replacing it with a heavier metal, brass or steel.

I've heard good things about sustainer devices though I haven't tried one myself. People have mentioned the Fernandes sustainer here, but there is also the option of using a sustainiac. The sustainiacs don't require routing, and I think they're easier to retrofit than the fernandes, so they could suit you.

Also, for the ppl arguing over the FTLOG riff, the point is moot. (2) No guitar, no matter how expensive, can sustain for that long just by itself. If you look at the youtube link thats been posted you will see that it opens with Vai moving around in front of the guitar speakers/foldback, and creating sustaining notes and changing harmonics. What he is doing here is getting infinite sustain through feedback. Then, when he plays FTLOG, he gets his sustain through feedback.

The sustainer devices fake this feedback, but if you want the really thing, and endless sustain, you need to have the amp WAAAAY loud, and learn to position yourself in front of the cab in the right way.

Hope it helps,

(My first post btw - just joined a few minutes ago... so hi all)

1 - No, it isn't any better than any other neck joint, they're all about the same. It's been scientifically proven, I don't have a link to the study right now but it has been posted on this forum multiple times.

2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWgbMY-s_2g No feedback there, I don't think he's even using a speaker at all, as far as I can tell he's just using a Mesa Rec. Recording Pre. Here's another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKV7vl7_QJE&feature=related He's playing live and moves around, can't be controlled feedback.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by Horlicks
It's called a cranked valve amp. It makes your sustain pretty much endless

1 - Not on it's own, you have to stand in a VERY specific place to get the "Endless sustain" to work seeing as how it's actually just feedback at the pitch of the fretted note.

2 - I refer you to my other post with videos of people getting that kind of sustain whilst: a, moving and b, not even using a speaker.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by kevC4
I want my guitar to have better sustain.

I have a bone nut and my bridge is a floating trem... Maybe I'm planning on putting some piece of wood somewhere in my guitar so it would be a locked bridge.

Other than that, I want to know what nut should I get? I have a bone nut for the moment.

Also, how can I improve my sadle's sustain?? I have a pic here of my bridge if it can help. It's a SAT pro II.

Thanks in advance

A few things will help out:

1. Put a quater or something permanent under the bridge to keep it from raising up. Then use only two springs with the screws almost buried in.

2. Lower your pick ups (the magnets will suck life outta the strings).

3. Make sure the string action is set properly. Not too low. AND adjust your truss rod to take the bow outta your neck.

Other than that...I'd stay away from all the "electrical" help that most people are suggesting here. Just like you implied...you want the sustain to come from your hands.
Quote by The-Joker
As far as i know bone is pretty top of the line for sustain. The trem block could help a little for sustain as well but how much only experimentation could tell. If your going for all the tiny things for better sustain having a set neck guitar from the start helps (i cant what neck connection yours has from the picture) and some musicians have told me that lowering the pickups to keep the magnetic pull on the strings to a minimum can help lengthen sustain. All these things could add up to more sustain or not very much but if you really NEED that much more you could always consider a compressor pedal, if you use it lightly you can increase sustain without too much change to your tone. If you go that way don't go too crazy with it though cause heavy compression is known for tone suck.

A well made bolt on is just as quality as a neck through guitar. The issue with bolts ons is just like the issue with solid-state. They choose to make lower quality equipment of the styles, and it gets bad reputation.

Even then. The difference in sustain between a set neck and a bolt on is so remotely small. And yet the price tag...

Anyway:

Have you ever tried stringing your guitar using the little folding & locking technique? Where you put the end of the string under where it winds up, then tuning up? I found this nearly doubled the sustain I was getting.

Also a few more wraps around the post added even more sustain.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Don't be fooled by recordings, pretty much when you hear an unusually long sustain is feedback from a cranked amp in the studio.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
1 - No, it isn't any better than any other neck joint, they're all about the same. It's been scientifically proven, I don't have a link to the study right now but it has been posted on this forum multiple times.

There is no hard evidence either way about the neck thru versus bolt on. It hasn't been proven one way or the other. Its conjecture. What I said may have been wrong, but may be right.

Quote by Ty Quinn
No guitar, no matter how expensive, can sustain for that long just by itself.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWgbMY-s_2g No feedback there, I don't think he's even using a speaker at all, as far as I can tell he's just using a Mesa Rec. Recording Pre. Here's another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKV7vl7_QJE&feature=related He's playing live and moves around, can't be controlled feedback.

When I said that "no guitar no matter how expensive could sustain that long" I was right. The key part of that sentence is 'by itself'. I didn't say that all performances of FTLOG needed feedback - thats just how Vai did it on the particular video that every one was discussing. The other videos that you posted likely used compression. Hell, I have a worthless beat-up old Squier (and its badly set-up) and I can play the FTLOG riff with just a bit of compression. But whether the sustain is achieved by a pedal or thru feedback - the guitar still isn't doing it 'by itself'.

Besides the OP already said that he was looking for other ways to achieve sustain, and that he didn't want to use a compressor.
OMG...

everyone's talking about floating trems, nut materials, artificial sustain pedals or sustainer/sustainiac pickups, vibrato...imo you're all on the wrong track

SUSTAIN will be absolutely killed by FRET BUZZ, of any type, anywhere, doesn't matter what kind of trem, pickups, bone nut or whatever..

I have two mahogany guitars with set necks made by Schecter (Hellraiser Avenger and c1 Blackjack ATX FR). When my OFR guitar is setup well it out-sustains my TOM guitar, and if the TOM one is setup with absolutely no buzz they are about equal (just about indefinite sustain...where the volume doesn't seen to die out at all under 30secs or so). Yes pickups can affect sustain, as well as amp settings etc, but if you're on high gain with all volumes up and it's still not doing it, i'd check the amount of fret buzz you're getting first.

ps i also though i'd add that set-neck vs bolt on makes piss all difference to sustain. In fact many in the know would argue that the bolt on is actually better for sustain.
Quote by yenners
ps i also though i'd add that set-neck vs bolt on makes piss all difference to sustain. In fact many in the know would argue that the bolt on is actually better for sustain.

I like it 'cause then the guitar is technically "modular" swapping necks, or if you break one it's a lot easier. Someone should argue that bolt-on guitars are the tube amplifiers of the guitar world.

If it's broken on a bolt-on it's usually a simple fix. Whereas a neck-through is basically gonna cost you more than any axe is worth.
Quote by sargasm
well my band and i mostly use Floyd rose bridges, they sustain fine, no 30secs like some say, but we play with LOW action, i have even tryed a compressor sustian pedal and ya it`s a fun toy, but to have it set up so there no feedback, it diddn`t really do anything for my sustain.

i find to get the best sustain is to have a big tube amp like mine with high output pickups like EMG`s.

as for bolt on or set neck or neck thru, it only makes sence that a neck thru would have more sustain, just because everything is on 1 piece of wood and the sides of the body is glued to that, almost making it like a 1 piece guitar. it`ll be interesting to see if my new guitar with a kahler bridge will have more sustain then my nephews guitar with a Floyd. because floyds have alot more wood removed to fit them in then a Kahler does
No they don't have more sustain. A well made bolt on neck is just as good. The issue is low quality bolt-ons where the socket isn't quite sanded perfect and the joint isn't tight.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by yenners
ps i also though i'd add that set-neck vs bolt on makes piss all difference to sustain.

This is correct. The difference beteen set-necks vs. bolt-ons is negligible to nonexistant, and neck-throughs have worse sustain - the glue used to set the body together kills a good bit of it.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Nov 27, 2008,
Quote by Flying Couch
This is correct. The difference beteen set-necks vs. bolt-ons is negligible to nonexistant, and neck-throughs have worse sustain - the glue used to set the body together kills a good bit of it.

Ironic... my friends neck through BC Rich Beast (bass) had the same sustain (and much much better tone) than his Fender Squire bass. So even in the case of neck thru vs. bolt on, the difference is negligible.
Quote by sargasm