So. My guitar is a lower end ibanez. it has 1 volume, and 1 tone adjust. I want 2 volumes and 2 tones and can wire it such without an issue. my one worry is drilling those 2 holes. If i masking tape it, drill a pilot hole etc. is there any huge issues im not expecting?
I know that method works for smaller holes, like when you drill for a Bigsby, but I don't know how effective the tape method would be for the larger holes needed for the pots.
you should be fine,
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Yea.. i really want to be sure im not gonna put a huge crack in the finish. i feel like a pilot hole plus the masking tape should work.. plus the holes really arnt that big 1/4'' i think... ill measure before i drill of course .. twice actually
Make sure that your holes are properly masked off above the cavity of the guitar. Also, careful making your pilot hole - start with a small drill bit and gradually work up to the size you need. If you start off too large, the bit will bite into the wood, possibly damaging your finish, the guitar and cause you to say many, many bad words. Take your time and it will turn out good. Also, make sure your holes are evenly spaced, so the job looks like a pro did it and not some amateur. Good luck!
Shouldn't be a problem? Sounds like you took enough precaution.
Megadeth > Metallica
Gibson > Fender
Randy Rhoads > Everybody

Quote by gamenerd323
451f you sig is the truest thing in the world

My sig > Yours
Quote by KG6_Steven
Make sure that your holes are properly masked off above the cavity of the guitar. Also, careful making your pilot hole - start with a small drill bit and gradually work up to the size you need. If you start off too large, the bit will bite into the wood, possibly damaging your finish, the guitar and cause you to say many, many bad words. Take your time and it will turn out good. Also, make sure your holes are evenly spaced, so the job looks like a pro did it and not some amateur. Good luck!

Yea thanks! Ive done something similar with an arcade controler but never on something of value... or with curved edges for that matter.. it will be a challenge.. im excited! I just gotta buy some pots and pass my final tommorrow
well one problem would be the two holes you just drilled in your guitar
It will work fine. The more masking tape (thicker) the better, to an extent. You aren't likely to have any issues.

Just make sure you use a wood bit!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
be carefull taking the tape off and what tape you use to, you dont want any finish damaging or residue on your guitar