Poll: Is Walmart destructive to America?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is Walmart destructive to America?
Hell yes!
101 30%
Yeah, kinda
67 20%
Not sure/Do not care
103 30%
Nah
35 10%
Hell no!
35 10%
Voters: 342.
Page 1 of 5
Yes, we all know Walmart is the epitome of American thriftiness, but unfortunately, saving money is not always worth it. Walmart refuses to pay for their own employee's health insurance, or makes premiums so high, they cannot afford. But this is one of many evils commited by this overwhelming corporate conglomerate.

I want to hear the outspoken members of UG's illustrious pit's opinions
I live in Canada, Heath Care is free, but what age are the people working there?

It depends weather that are 15 yearold cart boys, or 30 year old managers

Made by 'The Sloganizer' ----> «The Pit - be prepared.»

Quote by imdeth

"Billy eat your broccolli!"

"Screw you mom!" *raises arms*

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
I cheap stuff, therefore I Walmart
Quote by nightraven
can't stand public showers
and yes i do have a small penis

Quote by thewho182
people in public showers make fun of my big dick

Quote by kyle33093
i would if pee pee was bigger

As if we have a choice here. We can either shop at wal-mart, target, or k-mart, and that is pretty much it.
i think larry the cable guy said it best when he said "You don't like the wages at wal-mart, THEN DON'T WORK AT WAL-MART"
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
all I read was "whine whine whine whine"

hey, here's a bright Idea...

DON'T WORK AT FREAKIN WAL-MART!!!

besides, they DO have good prices

EDIT: beaten
Hmm.
Today I bought a bag of grapes and pizza sub from Subway at Walmart.
How convenient.

MC name = Bearrorism
Employees are entitled only to the benefits agreed upon in their contract. Walmart has no obligation to provide healthcare or benefits on any sort. That said, Walmart owes its success largely to government funding and support. It has no legitimate place in the market. It could bankrupt tomorrow for all I care.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Any company that refuses to allow workers to organise (ignoring the fact that the employers themselves are organised) damages the rights of workers everywhere, rights won through the sweat blood and tears of workers everywhere.
Think of any employment right (the right not to be dismissed unfairly, the right to as safe a workplace as possible). They were all put in place and are maintained by the trade union movement. if that movement disappears then so will those rights as the employers unions will steadily erode them.
Some examples, from the top of my head, are:
39 Hour working week
Holidays
Minimum wage
Unfair dismissals laws
Equality of employment laws
Health and Safety
Terms and conditions of employment
Pension scheme
overtime pay
yearly pay rises

There is also the fact that being in a union means that you can't be bullied by your employer. If you're not in a union and your employer doesn't pay you or dismisses you unfairly then you have no recourse. Sure, you can hire a lawyer but so can he, and he has the advantage of having money. If you're in a union you will have an official who will act as your lawyer, and will be far better at employment legislation than any lawyer (my father has never lost a case and has outsmarted the best barristers in the country. he has no legal training, he just does this specific area of the law all the time so he knows everything about it). Employers are much less likely to push you around if your in a union.
it is of no detriment to them to allow their workers to organise. If they play by the rules then they will have no problem. The only reason they could have is that they don't want to obey the laws.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
It is very destructive. If you don't think so, do some research.
Quote by gstacey1
i think larry the cable guy said it best when he said "You don't like the wages at wal-mart, THEN DON'T WORK AT WAL-MART"

People should get paid fairly at every place of employment.
Meh, people sign up there for jobs. I don't think most are really expecting a career, but rather short-term employment. So, I doubt it would be cost efficient for them to provide healthcare and benefits to the employees that will likely work for a few months. That's something they have to research too when looking for a job and know it's an expense. I thin they could at least provide managers and other higher level positions some healthcare, but I don't own the company.
Quote by gstacey1

Well Larry The Cable Guy also has a sweet gig with Comedy Central and a few other things that pay him more than he'll ever need.

Some people dont really have a choice in this economy.
Quote by guitardude34875
all I read was "whine whine whine whine"

hey, here's a bright Idea...

DON'T WORK AT FREAKIN WAL-MART!!!

besides, they DO have good prices

EDIT: beaten

Wal-Mart forces people to work there when they take away other jobs by forcing other businesses to go under.
Yes it is an evil, but

1. its nothing new

and

2. in areas like mine, Wal Mart is a necessary evil. Its like being pissed about gas prices as you fill up at the tank.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by KwikKopy
Wal-Mart forces people to work there when they take away other jobs by forcing other businesses to go under.

how is that?
boo frickin hoo Walmart doesn't give health insurance, so what? i don't like that, so i don't work at Walmart. if you don't like where you work, look for another job. and its wal mart. only people who work there should be very young or very old, like McDonalds. if you're 35 working at walmart or mcdonalds, your life didn't work out like you planned.
Of course WalMarts evil, i read it in a book I got on sale at WalMart
They have everything there
but then were else would i get a loaf of bread and a 12 gauge shotgun
its amazing one-stop shopping
Quote by smb
Further proof, if proof were needed, that Bill Gates planned 9/11 with Elvis.
Where I live, I can't stand to go to Wal-Mart. It's crowded and full of the worst kind of people. I'm sorry, but if you also live in WV and love Wal-Mart, I probably don't like you.
Megadeth > Metallica
Gibson > Fender
Randy Rhoads > Everybody

Quote by gamenerd323
451f you sig is the truest thing in the world

My sig > Yours
Wal-mart is a marvel of our modern age. Walk into one of those grand halls of consumerism and be in awe of the variety, the accessibility, the sheer amount of cheaply manufactured goods. It's simply amazing.
Quote by guitardude34875
how is that?

Economics 101. If there are X number of jobs in a town and Y number of people in the work force, and Wal-Mart forces a store with Z number employees to close. Now you have a town with X-Z number of jobs and still Y number of people in the work force. Now your unemployment rate is higher. People without jobs either have to relocate, or find another job. Many of those people will find that job at Wal-Mart, especially as more and more privately-owned specialty stores are forced to close.
they have 8 dollar new cds
'nuff said
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Walmart is not meant to bee a full time job, but people use it as that!!!!! people need to try harder in school to get a better job an not have to deal with it.
The Conservative youth of America!
people working as employees in the mom and pop downtown style stores that walmart replaced wouldn't get any helath insurance either. And they wouldn't get paid as much as walmart. And those shops rip off the customers with inflated prices and patronizing, condescending ownership.

Good riddance, and thank you walmart.
Quote by KwikKopy
Economics 101. If there are X number of jobs in a town and Y number of people in the work force, and Wal-Mart forces a store with Z number employees to close. Now you have a town with X-Z number of jobs and still Y number of people in the work force. Now your unemployment rate is higher. People without jobs either have to relocate, or find another job. Many of those people will find that job at Wal-Mart, especially as more and more privately-owned specialty stores are forced to close.

isnt that monopolizing?
arnt monopolies bad?
its jsut bad
Quote by KwikKopy

The most obvious flaw in your reasoning is that Walmart lacks the power to force other businesses to close.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I don't shop at wal-mart. It's f*cking depressing. Here's a typical Wal-Mart Adventure (keep in mind I live in Texas...I know, I know "But Madcap! You're so much sexier than Texas". I know):

White Trash fatass moms walking with their little offsprings of failure trailing behind them.

People who look like they don't like their jobs, as their vest on the back says "How may I help you?"

Hot fine moms who look like they haven't gotten a cock in a while (this isn't a bad thing).

Rednecks driving their trucks outside, many being loud and obnoxious.

Hispanic people who look like they're struggling financially (I'm mexican, and my family used to be like this, so I sympathize with these people).
They're planning to build a wal-mart supercenter in my town. It's gonna completely devastate our local businesses (although our downtown sucks already).

wal-mart =
Quote by metalscott76
Walmart is not meant to bee a full time job, but people use it as that!!!!! people need to try harder in school to get a better job an not have to deal with it.

You're a dumbass. Not everyone can afford to go to college, as it is ridiculously expensive.
Quote by gstacey1

This.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
It's gonna completely devastate our local businesses

Citizens shopping at Walmart to the exclusion of local businesses will devastate your local businesses.
Quote by KwikKopy

but wal-mart isn't exactly a monopoly, there's K-mart, Target, Costco, and many other places to choose from, in my area, there are more Targets than Wal-Marts, therefore, isn't forcing buisnesses to go under, therefore isn't a monopoly, and isn't "forcing" people to work there
Quote by The Madcap
I don't shop at wal-mart. It's f*cking depressing. Here's a typical Wal-Mart Adventure (keep in mind I live in Texas...I know, I know "But Madcap! You're so much sexier than Texas". I know):

White Trash fatass moms walking with their little offsprings of failure trailing behind them.

People who look like they don't like their jobs, as their vest on the back says "How may I help you?"

Hot fine moms who look like they haven't gotten a cock in a while (this isn't a bad thing).

Rednecks driving their trucks outside, many being loud and obnoxious.

Hispanic people who look like they're struggling financially (I'm mexican, and my family used to be like this, so I sympathize with these people).

I live in Ohio, and we have that x6
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by Archeo Avis
Citizens shopping at Walmart to the exclusion of local businesses will devastate your local businesses.

EXACTLY
Quote by pwninator123
I live in Ohio, and we have that x6

Yeah, there are three walmarts within a 20 minute drive from my house.

X6 the sexually opressed moms?

Yes, but they're sexually opressed for a reason.
yes of course they are, very similar to the other 499 on forbes' list..... weird
Page 1 of 5