I keep breaking my d string on my epiphone g-400. It doesn't snap into really but its more like it comes unwound or the string splits(bad explanation probably). I don't think its my playing style because I dont play really rough and I only break the D string. Its been doing this probably once every month and a half at least for the past 4 or 5 months, wondering what might be wrong with it.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I have a similar problem. I got an Epiphone LP Special II and strings are always snapping every month or two. I think it's just a crappy nut in my case, but I don't really understand your problem. Do you have pictures of the string?
Thats strange, I've not broken a string in many months, a couple years is probably more accurate. I've heard of other people that have the same issue but never heard of a cause
If the strings are breaking on or at the bridge you have a burred saddle... You need to get a fine file & file the burr off. I had the same problem with LP Jnr & Kramer with Floyd Rose sets ups & this fixed them.

Quote by Dakk
If the strings are breaking on or at the bridge you have a burred saddle... You need to get a fine file & file the burr off. I had the same problem with LP Jnr & Kramer with Floyd Rose sets ups & this fixed them.

well anything else i should try?

My string is not snapping in two, the inside of the string comes out from the outer covering i guess is the best way to describe it.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
are u breaking them while your playing? or when your tuning? or does it just break randomly when u don't even touch it
Quote by patbuck2
are u breaking them while your playing? or when your tuning? or does it just break randomly when u don't even touch it

when im playing, I dont think I play very rough either, im using ernie ball regular slinkys, I know I dont need a higher gauge because I dont tune lower than a whole step down and I never break strings on my squier strat or my brothers Kramer, which both have the same strings on it.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
So the strings coating uncoils from the inner string?
I have never heard of that happening before.
Does it start to uncoil at a certain end, or just in the middle?
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I use a G-400 and my strings never snap, so I don't know. But you should probably relpace your strings every two months anyway, so you might as well just buy a whole new set when the D breaks.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
it comes apart near the bridge
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by Dakk

+1
i guess u could just ask the people that work t your local instrument shop. that's what i would do if i had this problem
Quote by patbuck2
i guess u could just ask the people that work t your local instrument shop. that's what i would do if i had this problem

too bad it no longer exists, hasn't for a few months, if it still did, id never go there, guy charges too much for everything, not to mention all the stuff sold in there was crap, he had guitars in there worth maybe 35 dollars being sold for 200.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
could the action on my guitar be causing this?
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I've only ever broke one string in 3 years of playing, mine broke because of a dodgy tuner, it wasn't being held properly and like you desribed it unwound and split with half still on the tuner and half off. Maybe that helps, maybe not, only thing i can add.