hey everyone. im gian (john)

i just joined here and i have a few questons. first off. i have a 2007ish mexican fender HSS strat. it was a quick buy with not much testing. but im very happy with it having only one compliant. the humbucker at the bridge has absolutely no volume.

*i have searched as much as i can but the most common and general answer is to try and adjust the pickup height (ie raise it). i tried. i highered it, testing for any change after every screw turn, but no luck. i got so close that even with moderate strumming the strings would hit but even at this point the volume was no match for that of the single coils. could it be a wiring or electronics problem?
+it also sounds very tingy and almost dull and empty but i know that probably more of the actual pickup. is this the same with s/s/s, (uneven levels) ive never actually played one but cant imagine it should be

ok and now question 2. its more of a curiosity for the hopefully upcoming future.
*is their a way to have a basic individual swithing for the 3pickups. say an s/s/s.
i have seen a couple of kits/diagrams for some setups(ultimate strat, 14 selection, on/off/tapping, etc.) im just wondering if you could have a more simple 3 on/off switches. one for each pickup. is this not a good thing, i always see the kits showing a phase position.
+what does a phase or tapping switch do?
+is there a way to add another tone control for the 3rd pickup?
i doubt(because i've searched) there is an avaliable diagram for this so could you help me out with wiring if these mods are possible? and does having single coils or humbuckers make a difference(ive seen spliting).

i thought this would be cool for a cheap, maybe, strat project. tho all this stuff seems even more confusing as i write it out

my father has some expirence with electrical/wiring so im sure he could help me out too with the build. i dont think much with these questions tho.

wow. sry for the length. its more than i thought i guess.

thanks
gian
Quote by gian133
hey everyone. im gian (john)

i just joined here and i have a few questons. first off. i have a 2007ish mexican fender HSS strat. it was a quick buy with not much testing. but im very happy with it having only one compliant. the humbucker at the bridge has absolutely no volume.

*i have searched as much as i can but the most common and general answer is to try and adjust the pickup height (ie raise it). i tried. i highered it, testing for any change after every screw turn, but no luck. i got so close that even with moderate strumming the strings would hit but even at this point the volume was no match for that of the single coils. could it be a wiring or electronics problem?
+it also sounds very tingy and almost dull and empty but i know that probably more of the actual pickup. is this the same with s/s/s, (uneven levels) ive never actually played one but cant imagine it should be
Hi Gian!
something is wrong with your HB. it's miswired, or it may have a defect. a broken wire inside one of the coils will allow a weak, tinny signal to be coupled through by the capacitance between the windings. i suspect this might be your problem.

Quote by gian133
ok and now question 2. its more of a curiosity for the hopefully upcoming future.
*is their a way to have a basic individual swithing for the 3pickups. say an s/s/s.
i have seen a couple of kits/diagrams for some setups(ultimate strat, 14 selection, on/off/tapping, etc.) im just wondering if you could have a more simple 3 on/off switches. one for each pickup.
yes. this can be done. personally, i prefer a 5-way switch, but there is no reason you can't have 3 switches if you like.

Quote by gian133
+what does a phase or tapping switch do?
two different things. three, actually.

phase changes the polarity of a pickup by switching the connections. instead of the signals from two pickups "adding" they now subtract. but since the signals are not identical, they don't completely cancel. this results in a thin, tinny sound.

tapping means using part of a coil, not all of the windings. this gives a brighter, weaker signal. the word tapping is sometimes used when splitting is more appropriate.

splitting means using only one of the two coils of a HB. this results in a sound similar to a Single Coil pickup.

Quote by gian133
+is there a way to add another tone control for the 3rd pickup?
you could, but then you'd have to add another pot. most people who want a tone control on the bridge pickup re-wire the selector to allow one of the tone controls to handle the bridge pickup and the other one to handle both the neck and middle.

Quote by gian133
i doubt(because i've searched) there is an avaliable diagram for this so could you help me out with wiring if these mods are possible? and does having single coils or humbuckers make a difference(ive seen spliting).
do a better job of research. Guitarnuts has many modifications and GuitarElectronics and Seymour Duncan have tons of wiring diagrams on their sites.

Quote by gian133
i thought this would be cool for a cheap, maybe, strat project. tho all this stuff seems even more confusing as i write it out
yeah, it can be confusing at first. but as you read more, it will make more sense.

Quote by gian133
my father has some expirence with electrical/wiring so im sure he could help me out too with the build. i dont think much with these questions tho.

wow. sry for the length. its more than i thought i guess.

thanks
gian
maybe not with all this, but his knowledge of basic electronics will be of great help to you. be sure to talk to him about some of the things you read.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Wow someone.

thanks alot. i guess i didn't do as much research as i thought.

so if its the HB that is defective i should obvously go about replacing it. in that i have another question. in my past, and obvously not to great lol, research i found a lot of people asking about mounting the pickup on a fender. the humbucker is mounted using 1 screw on the bass side and 2 on the treble side. most humbuckers, aftermarket, have only 1 on each side. right? what to do?

and thanks for the recommendations for the wiring websites. lots of info there, many possibilities. and i think this is exactly what i had thought of, minus the 3rd tone control. so with this you could turn on or off any number of pickups. all three, none, anything right. would that 3rd tone pot be something hard to add to this

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=3s_1v_2t_3on-offswitches

how would you do it?

and yes, i will have to ask him for some help. i believe he made the crossovers we use in our smaller pa system so im sure he could be of some use.
thank you very much
im sure ill be back with more questions.
gian
Quote by gian133
Wow someone.

thanks alot. i guess i didn't do as much research as i thought.

so if its the HB that is defective i should obvously go about replacing it. in that i have another question. in my past, and obvously not to great lol, research i found a lot of people asking about mounting the pickup on a fender. the humbucker is mounted using 1 screw on the bass side and 2 on the treble side. most humbuckers, aftermarket, have only 1 on each side. right? what to do?
many HBs made with F-spaced pole pieces (to match the wider string spacing on Fender guitars with a trem) have 3 holes on each flange. here's the drawings for a Seymour Duncan "trembucker".

Quote by gian133
and thanks for the recommendations for the wiring websites. lots of info there, many possibilities. and i think this is exactly what i had thought of, minus the 3rd tone control. so with this you could turn on or off any number of pickups. all three, none, anything right. would that 3rd tone pot be something hard to add to this

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=3s_1v_2t_3on-offswitches

how would you do it?
the wires connected to the top of each of those switches is just silly. they short any pickup that isn't being used to ground. there is no reason to do that.

to have 3 tone controls, the easiest way would be to use 3 pots and 3 capacitors.
connect each tone circuit to the same lug of each switch as the white wire from the pickup.

Quote by gian133
and yes, i will have to ask him for some help. i believe he made the crossovers we use in our smaller pa system so im sure he could be of some use.
thank you very much
im sure ill be back with more questions.
gian
cool. it will be great for you and your dad to work together on this. my dad didn't know anything about guitars or electronics, but he taught me other stuff.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
thanks. i'll have to look for some new pickups now with those mounting holes.

about that diagram. is that not a good thing? it sounds like you wouldnt reccomend doing it that way.

about that though, that diagram showed using 3 single coils. would it make a difference if you used 3 humbuckers, or p90(isnt a p90 same as a single coil would be). dose it make a differnece for any wiring setup?

boy this forum is busy. in a couple of hours post can allready be pages back. tons of help

thanks again
gian