I was thinking adding seymour duncans into my Epiphone SG special instead of buying a new guitar? Should I do it?
no, it's just not worth it save up for a new guitar.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

I wouldnt sink that kind of money into it. Id say check out guitar fetish or if you wanna be ultimate cheap put dragon fire pickups from onlineguitarparts.com (about 30 bucks for a pair)
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
nah i say you buy a new guitar THEN put duncans in your SG. Then you haz 2 decent guitars, and if you ever do drop tunings you can put your sg in drop c so you don't have to mess around with tuning on your main guitar.

If you are looking for a better guitar, things such as feel of the neck, heaviness, and overall quality will make a much bigger difference than changing pickups.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Get a new guitar first then you can use your SG Special to learn how to work on a guitar. That way if you want to mod your new guitar you'll know how to swap out pickups and various other things you might want to try.
EDIT: After checking your profile a new amp will help you more than pickups or a new guitar. Start with a new amp it'll make a bigger change in your tone.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Nov 13, 2008,
Quote by metalishreddr13
I was thinking adding seymour duncans into my Epiphone SG special instead of buying a new guitar? Should I do it?

Hi, it's me from the other thread. I'd suggest getting a G-400 Vintage if you have $300 lying around, along with some money for pickups (usually for GFS a set is between $45 and $50, Dimarzio is about $140-200, Duncan is $146-240)
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^ Best thing said so far.

The amp is the vast majority of your tone.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
according to his profile he has,

Epiphone: SG Special

Digitech: Death Metal Pedal

Ibanez: Weeping Demon Wah Pedal

Crate: GTD15

i'd say a new amp will help your tone far more than a new guitar or pickups, however a new guitar might not be so bad of an idea either. it's a toss up really.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Last edited by mikeyElite at Nov 13, 2008,
Yes. Get a new amp first. You will notice a great improvement in tone. Then look into getting a good guitar.

FYI: For guitars, go used. Way less money, just as much guitar.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
^this is key.

Pawnshop bargains and eBay steals are pretty much the greatest thing to grace this guitar-playing planet.

people have an extra 900 dollars and want to learn guitar. They fail miserably, and decide to clean out their closet. Lo and behold, a High end Ibanez, Low end Gibson or PRS goes on eBay for 450 with a case.

KACHING.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
^this is key.

Pawnshop bargains and eBay steals are pretty much the greatest thing to grace this guitar-playing planet.

people have an extra 900 dollars and want to learn guitar. They fail miserably, and decide to clean out their closet. Lo and behold, a High end Ibanez, Low end Gibson or PRS goes on eBay for 450 with a case.

KACHING.

I agree. I found my Epiphone Explorer at a pawn shop for $100. It was stock when I got it. It only had a few minor scratches. I installed the EMG's myself. I bought the EMG's used too (ebay). I've got about $250 in it and new it would've been about $700.
Way to bump a settled thread for a spam post...

If he doesn't do what, exactly?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
^ Then he'll just be spending a lot of money on something that won't improve his tone at all.

You need a good amp first.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo