I just got my new 2008 sienna sunburst Fender American Standard Stratocaster tonight...pretty
I am unfamiliar with electic guitars , this is my first, I haven't attached the tremolo arm as yet, should I leave this on all the time or just put it on when I want to use it?
It doesn't matter either way, but I find it easier to keep the tremolo arm on the guitar.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Your first electric is an American Fender?
I assume you've been playing acoustic before this then...right?

You can leave it in all the time. It won't damage the guitar. When you use it though, don't go too crazy on it. It's not a Floyd Rose, so don't expect to be able to divebombs while retaining perfect tuning.
Member of the Laney Cult
if you use it , it will go out of tune but not horribly bad but still.

play for a while with it then without it see which you like better.

if you accidently hit it with your hand then take it off
You got an American Standard for your first guitar???
What was your first car, man?!

I use mine often enough to leave it in all the time, and if you're constantly taking it in and out the threads will slowly wear, making it looser and looser every time you put it in. If you prefer, though, take it out and block off the trem.
Yes, this is my first electric...it this overly indulgent?
I have played acoustic for years (not good), bought an Ibanez Acoustic/Electric AEF30 Sunburst Purple and found the action too high (acoustics in general) so I decided I would buy an electric and wanted one that was far superior to my playing ability so I can 'grow' into it, if that makes sense.
Quote by pdeppeler
Yes, this is my first electric...it this overly indulgent?
I have played acoustic for years (not good), bought an Ibanez Acoustic/Electric AEF30 Sunburst Purple and found the action too high (acoustics in general) so I decided I would buy an electric and wanted one that was far superior to my playing ability so I can 'grow' into it, if that makes sense.

Yeah, that makes sense, it's just that most of us started out on "Wal-Mart Specials", and then spent all our money to get a better guitar when we couldn't stand that one You're lucky to have such a good guitar, I honestly envy you. As long as you can afford it, their's nothing wrong with it. But having bought such a nice guitar, you need to be dedicated to learning, or you'll have dropped that cash for no reason.

Quote by irishstang_87
Yeah, that makes sense, it's just that most of us started out on "Wal-Mart Specials", and then spent all our money to get a better guitar when we couldn't stand that one You're lucky to have such a good guitar, I honestly envy you. As long as you can afford it, their's nothing wrong with it. But having bought such a nice guitar, you need to be dedicated to learning, or you'll have dropped that cash for no reason.

Yea, I need to either find a good teacher or good teaching aids...
Quote by pdeppeler
Yea, I need to either find a good teacher or good teaching aids...

UG is a great aid, the lessons section has a ton of useful tips. Also, I used justinguitar.com when I started out, he has a lot of good video lessons. A good teacher will help you out more than i can tell you, but a lot of us here are self taught. I taught myself all the basics, but now that i've been playing for about a year and a half I've started paying for lessons to learn music theory. Also, if you don't have many friends who play guitar, it's nice to be able to relax and play with someone else. Lessons usually run around. My teacher charges about $20 for a half hour lesson, but I know a few around here will give a full hour for a few dollars more. Check out the lessons section, though, and go to the basics. You'll get a great start there.
Quote by caskettheclown
if you use it , it will go out of tune but not horribly bad but still.
The vibrato units on Fender American series won't go out of tune unless you try dive bombs and other 'Floyd Rose' style techniques on it on a regular basis. Hell I have a cheap Squier that I can abuse the hell out of it it still stays in tune.

99.99% of tuning problems don't come from the bridge, it's either from a poorly cut nut (which you're not going to get on an American Strat), or it's from you restrining the guitar incorrectly (i.e. entirely your fault!)

As far as leaving the arm in or not, I prefer to keep it in. The only thing you have to watch out for if you leave the arm in, is not knocking it when you're not using the guitar. Obviously if the arm is left in then that means there's one more thing on the guitar to accidently bash when you have it on a stand or if you're caryring it somewhere. If you keep it in a case of course then you don't even have to worry about that.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by irishstang_87
UG is a great aid, the lessons section has a ton of useful tips. Also, I used justinguitar.com when I started out, he has a lot of good video lessons. A good teacher will help you out more than i can tell you, but a lot of us here are self taught. I taught myself all the basics, but now that i've been playing for about a year and a half I've started paying for lessons to learn music theory. Also, if you don't have many friends who play guitar, it's nice to be able to relax and play with someone else. Lessons usually run around. My teacher charges about $20 for a half hour lesson, but I know a few around here will give a full hour for a few dollars more. Check out the lessons section, though, and go to the basics. You'll get a great start there.

Thanks, I appreciate your advice and I will do that.
Quote by pdeppeler
Thanks, I appreciate your advice and I will do that.

No problem, good luck, and congrats on the new guitar and on wanting to learn to play. It's the greatest hobby in the world, and if you keep at it, it won't "just" be a hobby for long.