What effects or whatever would help me get the crunching sound out of my rhythm playing?
Gibson Les Paul Special Faded with Evo bridge and PAF Joe neck. Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb.
Quote by rokknrollldude
wrathlegion, i would like to shake hands

Quote by AllUrBase
I assume you're playing just open strings, so not to scratch your frets.
Looking at your gear I'd suggest some EMG pickups.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by salsawords
Looking at your gear I'd suggest some EMG pickups.

EMG's for classic rock? I don't know much but i thought actives were better for metal, and a gibbo les paul should be all the crunch you need as far as pickups go.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
MI Audio Crunch Box or get an MXR EQ to fiddle with the mid levels and such.
Gear
Guitar
Kramer Striker (JB + Jazz)
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL
Pedals
Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Digitech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
Boss DS-1
Last edited by Idiosyncracy at Nov 13, 2008,
more mids and treble. and maybe gain.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by DaddyBarbs
EMG's for classic rock? I don't know much but i thought actives were better for metal, and a gibbo les paul should be all the crunch you need as far as pickups go.

I didnt read classic rock anywhere in this thread....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
you could try out some od pedals, or just mess around with your eq.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
Quote by Idiosyncracy
MI Audio Crunch Box or get an MXR EQ to fiddle with the mid levels and such.

He already has a nice amp, an EQ will take away from the amps natural sound. More time tweaking will be much more beneficial than adding an EQ pedal to his rig.
Quote by Guitarmiester
He already has a nice amp, an EQ will take away from the amps natural sound. More time tweaking will be much more beneficial than adding an EQ pedal to his rig.

yeah just stick with your eq on the amp. On my F-30 I get good crunch with Treble about 2 o'clock, mid about noon and bass about 8-9 with the gain around 1-2. I'm not really playing classic rock but it gets the job done for me.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
Quote by UnsignedRecords
more mids and treble. and maybe gain.

this
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Im not so sure about emgs, I play a lot of clean, and low gain stuff. And i do some shred type stuff, and I heard EMGs arent good for shred.
What do you think about an Evolution or Evolution 2 for the bridge?
Can anyone tell me the differences in these? I like the scream and harmonics of the evolution, but the increased dynamics and headroom is appealing in the evolution 2, but can anyone tell me if it still has the scream/output/harmonics of the original?
Gibson Les Paul Special Faded with Evo bridge and PAF Joe neck. Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb.
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
Last edited by Wrathlegion at Nov 14, 2008,
Quote by Wrathlegion
What effects or whatever would help me get the crunching sound out of my rhythm playing?

Honestly?

The stuff you already have.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Honestly?

The stuff you already have.

I really can get the crunch sound, its just not as crunchy as I would like it to be. Steven seagull, for the most part, you give some of the best advice, want to shed your wisdom on my evolution pickup question?
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
Quote by Wrathlegion
I really can get the crunch sound, its just not as crunchy as I would like it to be. Steven seagull, for the most part, you give some of the best advice, want to shed your wisdom on my evolution pickup question?

Evo's aren't really crunchy pickups, they're shred pickups designed for flat out virtuoso lead playing.

You could look at something like the Duncan Custom 5 for the bridge but I really don't think you need a pickup swap at all, your equipment can do crunch fine. Try playing with less gain, less bass, more mids, more treble and more volume.

And hit the strings harder, you don't get crunch by tickling them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
... your equipment can do crunch fine. .

Agreed... I had a Mesa V-Twin and that thing crunched like only the best chicharrones do.

The Recto can only be better. Experiment with different tubes if you feel like it too.
Quote by Wrathlegion

Can you put EL34's in your amp's power section and crank the master volume, lower your channel volume, then EQ with more mids and highs as suggested earlier?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Keep in mind that Boogies have a lot of low end. You'll want to dial the bass fairly low, mids anywhere from 11 o'clock and up, treble above 12 o'clock, and set presence to taste. An OD will help tighten up the low end and add more bite.
Quote by steven seagull
Evo's aren't really crunchy pickups, they're shred pickups designed for flat out virtuoso lead playing.

You could look at something like the Duncan Custom 5 for the bridge but I really don't think you need a pickup swap at all, your equipment can do crunch fine. Try playing with less gain, less bass, more mids, more treble and more volume.

And hit the strings harder, you don't get crunch by tickling them.

I wasn't really expecting the evo to be a good crunchy pickup, but how do you like it in mahogany body guitars for lead? and would you suggest evo 2 over it?
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
throw in a JB or Super distortion and put some EL34s (if you can) then put the mids about 3 oclock treble 2:30ish and bass just under noon
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Wrathlegion
I wasn't really expecting the evo to be a good crunchy pickup, but how do you like it in mahogany body guitars for lead? and would you suggest evo 2 over it?

I wouldn't suggest either of then for what you want.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

how loud are you playing your amp?
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.