Hey guys, I mainly use standard minor pentatonic scales to write my guitar parts, but I kinda get bored and was wondering what some other good scales to use for improvising and writing were. Currently I play clean leads beside an acoustic guitar with an occasional distorted solo. Recommendations?
Jackson Soloist SL-3
Squire Strat
Crate XT120R
Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer
Dunlop Crybaby
harmonic minor scale. it pwns for soloing.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
look up such jazz scales as mixolydian and ionian, just because something is jazz doesnt mean it cant be applied in the jazz world. a mixolydian is a regular male scale except you drop the 5th a half step and i cant remember ionian off the top of my head
I would start with the major scale, it might not be your FAVORITE one but once you have learned if you can learn the other scales faster seeing as they all kind of deviate from it. Check all kinds of scales here Look no Hands
'62 reissue Mexican Fender Stratocaster.

Fender Blues Junior

Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Electro Harmonix NYC Big Muff
Ibanez TS9 tube screamer
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
Electro Harmonix Micro P.O.G
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Quote by Metalocalypse54
Hey guys, I mainly use standard minor pentatonic scales to write my guitar parts, but I kinda get bored and was wondering what some other good scales to use for improvising and writing were. Currently I play clean leads beside an acoustic guitar with an occasional distorted solo. Recommendations?

Standard Major and Minor and learn them properly. Then learn to phrase well and that will be all you need unless you get into non-diatonic chord progressions and/or jazz.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
+1 to joker and zaphod...you can't actually learn any other scales until you know the major scale.

Have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by muse-ik

+1
To deny our own impulses, is to deny the very thing that makes us human.
Quote by Bbauer
look up such jazz scales as mixolydian and ionian, just because something is jazz doesnt mean it cant be applied in the jazz world. a mixolydian is a regular male scale except you drop the 5th a half step and i cant remember ionian off the top of my head

Mixolydian is major minor 7th. . . . hence why G major has a sharp F. . . because G is naturally the mixolydian mode. . . . and has a half step drop emphasis on the 7th note. . . . Ionian is the natural major scale, w-w-h-w-w-w-h. . . .

Ionian is simply a name for the diatonic mode that forms the natural major scale. . . Mixolydian is the fifth diatonic mode of that scale. So if you are in C major, G will be your mixolydian mode. G major, D will be the mixolydian mode. . . and so on and so forth.

Examples for Mixolydian:
G Mixolydian: G-A-B-C-D-E-F-G
C Mixolydian: C-D-E-F-G-A-Bb-C
A Mixolydian: A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G

Examples for Ionian:
G Ionian: G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G
C Ionian: C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C
A Ionian: A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#-A
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
definately major/minor in all the positions and on all the strings separately. From there the whole fretboard will be yours.
Quote by Metalocalypse54

Learn all seven modes, also figure out how to play the pentatonic and blues pentatonics in the same key all over the fret board (5 different positions.... for the blues scale add a flat 5th)

and harmonic minor (raised 7th) and diminished scale as well!!
Quote by Jeffmo929
Learn all seven modes, also figure out how to play the pentatonic and blues pentatonics in the same key all over the fret board (5 different positions.... for the blues scale add a flat 5th)

and harmonic minor (raised 7th) and diminished scale as well!!

Can't do any of that stuff properly without a good working knoweldge of the major scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Ignite
Phrygian dominant! Middle-eastern style ftw.

Haha yes, such a fun thing to play. Especially with a real twangy tone.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Quote by steven seagull
Can't do any of that stuff properly without a good working knoweldge of the major scale.

so very simply...start out in the key of C Major C D E F G A B C

and work it from there....every other mode will start on the next scale degree
D dorian, E phrygian, F lydian, G mixolydian, A aeolan (minor scale), B locrian
I kind of like the chromatic. Lots of note choices there. Don't get stuck on scales and your playing will have no feel. Listen to what sounds right.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

88 Marsh JCM 800 1/2 stack
05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
Quote by Jeffmo929
so very simply...start out in the key of C Major C D E F G A B C

and work it from there....every other mode will start on the next scale degree
D dorian, E phrygian, F lydian, G mixolydian, A aeolan (minor scale), B locrian

That's a gross oversimplification of modes, and you don't just jump straight into them - that's exactly the reason there's so much confusion and misinformation about them....

knowing "C D E F G A B" doesn't really equate to having a good working knowledge of the major scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by muse-ik

+1 This man speaks the truth
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
Quote by steven seagull
That's a gross oversimplification of modes, and you don't just jump straight into them - that's exactly the reason there's so much confusion and misinformation about them....

knowing "C D E F G A B" doesn't really equate to having a good working knowledge of the major scale.

that's how I started....I can solo in ANY key all over the neck using this basic mode knowledge

you can look at the modes two different ways....

1) play them in the same key in different positions and use the shapes as a map to have the FREEDOM to solo ALL over the neck

2) play each mode starting on the SAME note to get the idea of there tonal qualities

either way they help with soloing

but I agree, he should start with the basic Pentatonic scales FIRST and learn them in the same key all over the neck...then alter it using the blues pentatonic.

use Aminor Pentatonic as a good referance: A C D E G
AND A minor Blues Pentatonic : A C D E(FLAT) E G
Last edited by Jeffmo929 at Nov 14, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull

Yeah, I'd be looking more for like. . . . .

Ionian- 1-2-3-4-5-6-7
Dorian- 1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7
Phrygian- 1-b2-b3-4-5-b6-b7
Lydian- 1-2-3-#4-5-6-7
Mixolydian- 1-2-3-4-5-6-b7
Aeolian- 1-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7
Locrian- 1-b2-b3-4-b5-b6-b7

and no, this was not a douchey reply, though I don't believe it seemed that way at any rate. . . . but at least this way if the person decides to look into the modes they have the formulae just sitting right in front of them to check by. . . . hehe..
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris