Ok so I decided about 2 months ago that I would rebuild my technique and get rid of all my bad habits. I went back to the most basic things, even the way I fretted notes. I got rid of pretty much all my problems(anchoring,posture,) easily, but now I've hit a wall. I noticed that when I fret a note and then lift my finger up to move to the next note, the adjacent string rings open. Like if I was playing the Breaking the Law riff the g string would ring open like crazy. I don't know how the hell I missed this or why it's happening in the first place. Any help would be greatly appreciated
People are always trying to fascinate themselves with their own intellect.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Yes I've seen this many times. I already do everything he mentions in the video. It's just that as soon as the index finger moves(the one doing the muting) the adjacent string rings out and he doesn't specifically mention that so it really doesn't help, but thank you for replying anyways.
Last edited by leftylikejimi at Nov 13, 2008,
Quote by NSHSpolevault
drop ur thumb lower on ur neck and have ur fingers hit the neck more perpendicular.

Yes I have my thumb in the classical position all most all the time when I play because that just felt like the best position to me when I started. I suppose I could try a more perpendicular approach, but it feels really awkward.
Quote by leftylikejimi
Yes I've seen this many times. I already do everything he mentions in the video. It's just that as soon as the index finger moves(the one doing the muting) the adjacent string rings out and he doesn't specifically mention that so it really doesn't help, but thank you for replying anyways.

Adjacent strings which way? Higher or lower?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by leftylikejimi
higher

You're better off PMing Freepower about this...I wasn't expecting that answer...I might be able to help more if you could post a close up video of your fret hand but I'm not sure to be honest.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You're better off PMing Freepower about this...I wasn't expecting that answer...I might be able to help more if you could post a close up video of your fret hand but I'm not sure to be honest.

Damn..............that serious huh? okay If I post a video what should I play that would show you best what I'm talking about?
Quote by leftylikejimi
Damn..............that serious huh? okay If I post a video what should I play that would show you best what I'm talking about?

If you could post a video showing your fret hand close up I might be able to help but to be honest it might not be that serious a problem, FP's just hugely more knowledgable about this than me

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you could post a video showing your fret hand close up I might be able to help but to be honest it might not be that serious a problem, FP's just hugely more knowledgable about this than me

Alright I'll do a video of my fret hand then. I can't use my amp right now thought because it's 1:30am here. Is it alright if it's not very loud?
Quote by leftylikejimi
Alright I'll do a video of my fret hand then. I can't use my amp right now thought because it's 1:30am here. Is it alright if it's not very loud?

It would be better if you can use an amp, just wait until you can; technique problems are NEVER sorted overnight anyway and if you're going to try and learn a new set of actions it's better that you're as awake as possible anyway.

When you get something recorded and uploaded PM me or post here and I'll see what I can do.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It would be better if you can use an amp, just wait until you can; technique problems are NEVER sorted overnight anyway and if you're going to try and learn a new set of actions it's better that you're as awake as possible anyway.

When you get something recorded and uploaded PM me or post here and I'll see what I can do.

I'll do that and thank you for helping me. If I had a teacher I probably wouldn't have to bother people on the internet

I messaged Freepower to see what his opinion was as well.
Quote by leftylikejimi
Yes I have my thumb in the classical position all most all the time when I play because that just felt like the best position to me when I started. I suppose I could try a more perpendicular approach, but it feels really awkward.

keep ur fingers more perpendicular to the fret board. the front of the thumb should be flat right in the middle of the back of the neck. ur fingers should then curl around and come straight at the fretboard. it will be awkward and of course it wont be exactly like this but its basically wat u should be goin for.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!