I have been do a lot of searching on the forum on distortion pedals and I'm confused, a lot of people say Boss pedals are good and others say they are bad.. So I have an Epiphone G-400 and a Fender Frontman 25R and I mostly play Nirvana and SOAD stuff. my budget is under 130. So far I've been looking at
1.Boss MD2
2.Big Muff
3.Zoom g1
or
4.other
Last edited by DonDon69 at Nov 13, 2008,
Get the Boss DS-1 and SD-1 and you're good to go.

Nothing wrong with Boss, if you know what you're doing.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
yes, boss is no good.

for under $100? sure you cant stretch that just a little bit more?

cough*crunchbox*cough

Ya I can stretch a little more , maybe under 130?
Normally I don't like recommending the DS-1, but it was Kurt's main distortion pedal so if you want to play Nirvana it may be up your alley. It may not be heavy enough for SOAD though, look for a modded version?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Normally I don't like recommending the DS-1, but it was Kurt's main distortion pedal so if you want to play Nirvana it may be up your alley. It may not be heavy enough for SOAD though, look for a modded version?

he used a DS-2. second, please, please, please puuuuwwease dont go near the DS-1.

i take that back, he did use the DS-1 pre nevermind. nevermind and on was the DS-2.
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Nov 13, 2008,
Quote by shadow__666

Kurt also had a late 80's early 90's (thought I am sure it was late 80's) DS-1 that was made in Japan which is totally different from the DS-1's that are made today. I am not exactly sure HOW they are different, but I am sure it is some sort of different chip that is used.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
(God I can't believe I'm defending one of my most hated pedals). I think a Keeley modded version is close to Kurt's but agreed for what you'd pay for that you can get a MI Audio Crunch Box, a EHX Big Muff, Pro Co Rat...
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
(God I can't believe I'm defending one of my most hated pedals). I think a Keeley modded version is close to Kurt's but agreed for what you'd pay for that you can get a MI Audio Crunch Box, a EHX Big Muff, Pro Co Rat...

the new ProCo's are horrible. i forget exactly which year the components where switched, but i know the current models have horrible QC, and are very risky investments.
I'd get a ds-2. It's not gonna sound like amazing, but since you're only using it for practice, it'll sound decent. I have the same setup at home, a FM25R and a DS-1.

When you're ready for big boy amps though, leave the pedal at home
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Kurt used the DS-2.I play alot of nirvana with that,it's really good.
And if you get the footswitch with you can use the boost for solos.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
The big muff is not what you are looking for. I hate distortion pedals so much. I always use a high gain amp so I've never really needed them except when I was younger. I haven't played on your amp before. How much distortion does it have? Is it just falling a little short of what you want? If so you can get a bad monkey over drive pedal and use the gain knob on it. I used to use this on a solid state practice amp I had to add more gain and I got it pretty saturated just from using that pedal. And it still sounded natural and worked with the distortion the amp already had instead of sounding like a screeching distortion pedal. Just don't get a metal zone from boss or any crap like that. If I were to get a distortion pedal it'd have to be one of the KRANK ones.
Quote by the_maestro
Get the Boss DS-1 and SD-1 and you're good to go.

Nothing wrong with Boss, if you know what you're doing.

This is what I'm getting for Christmas and I can't wait
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
Kurt's ds-1 was the older models. Newer models suck balls.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

The boss MD-2 is a great pedal, not too shrill, very nice distortion tone. It can calm down to ds1 levels and has a wide variety of tones with it's dual band eq/boost and seperate gain and distortion settings.
The people who say boss pedals suck, are usually just following some bandwagon. However, when it's all said and done, it's all just opinions.
I personally didn't like the ds-1, as it was too mild for me and i couldn't shape it's tone the way I liked. I didn't really like the sound of the big muff for my style of music. I admit it sounded good but it wasn't ME. The zoom G1 would be a good way for you to pick out what effects you like, to later fine tune with seperate pedals, and that goes for any small multi effects processor imo. (The output on them also make descent line level outputs for direct to computer recording - just put multieffect at the end of your pedalboard and use it's amp emulation and eq).
Last edited by _Sanitarium_ at Nov 14, 2008,
I'm not trying to follow a bandwagon at all. I have personally owned a ton of boss products and was very open minded to them over the years. And they..well.. suck. There are much finer options out there. I hate my boss ns-2 so much i'm probably going to throw it away. What a useless piece of crap.
Am I the only one who noticed that this guy is using A FRONTMAN to run all these pedals ?

Better amp = Better OD