Picture this: 19 year old bass player (noob) going out to play with a bunch of 30 year olds for the first time. They play classic rock: Neil Young, The Tragically Hip etc. what should I learn in order to play with them?

Like... in a jam session first time out with people, what do you do?
root notes, you can just move around the scale a bit
Quote by postmortem2006

Give him something he can appreciate.

Herpes maybe.
Make sure you know Freebird.
Haha just messing... Do what comes naturally and if they know it's your first time then they will probably help you out.
Bar Chords and pentatonics.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
so they would tell me the chord progression? Or would they just expect me to know it right off? Is classic rock known for it's intracate basslines, or is it more of a "root notes + a little bit of improvising with arpeggios and scales."

I really want to play with these guys, but I really don't know where to start when it comes to jamming.
In classic rock, the blues, mixolydian and pentatonic scales are your best friend.

Also--just go with the flow and the first few times through a song, root note it. If they asked you to play with them, they must see some potential. If they have been gigging for a while, then its a golden opportunity to learn in the trenches and gain some experience from people more seasoned than you. And most of all have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions or make mistakes.

See if you can get a list of songs before hand, so you can listen to them and get a sense of what you're in for.
Quote by EdgedInBlue
Bar Chords and pentatonics.

Yep, I love using bar chords when I'm playing BASS guitar in a classic rock band, and it is certainly good advice for a beginner in the genre.
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

Quote by anarkee
In classic rock, the blues, mixolydian and pentatonic scales are your best friend.

Also--just go with the flow and the first few times through a song, root note it. If they asked you to play with them, they must see some potential. If they have been gigging for a while, then its a golden opportunity to learn in the trenches and gain some experience from people more seasoned than you. And most of all have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions or make mistakes.

See if you can get a list of songs before hand, so you can listen to them and get a sense of what you're in for.

That is exactly what I was looking for, thank you SO MUCH!!!

I was planning on asking for a list of songs so I could take a look at them so I'm not going in cold.
Quote by Mayano
Yep, I love using bar chords when I'm playing BASS guitar in a classic rock band, and it is certainly good advice for a beginner in the genre.
...was that sarcasm? XD but srsly...was it?
Try adding more delay.
Barre chords are but for the greats. Alas, none of you are greats. Too bad.
Quote by telecastrmastr
...was that sarcasm? XD but srsly...was it?

It may have been? I'm really not sure...
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

Like Anarkee said, the blues scale and both minor and major pentatonic scales will help you to no end here.

Hope everything goes well!
signature