I just bought a used Hot Rod Deville 212 amp and am in love with the tone that comes out of it, but there is one little problem with the way it performs: There is a nuisance noise that rattles around with the bass notes. I don't know much about amps as I was trained classically and I haven't spent a lot of time on the electric side of things, so I don't know if this is a simple fix or not. The noise sounds more like a medium-high pitched jingle than a rattle, and I can't seem to place exactly where it comes from. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Nick

www.toptierguitarstudio.com
It could be something in the room. If you hit the right note (sometimes called natural frequency) an object will rattle. It's the same principal that causes crystal glasses to break.

There you go, more useless knowledge off the internets....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I'm positive it's coming from inside the amp, and it doesn't resonate at any certain frequency - it just vibrates with the low range.
My guess would be tube rattle. I'm not sure what the proper way to dampen the tubes is, though, so I'll defer to someone else on that one.
It could be the tubes.
Check out this site:
http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/
Its a good source for Deluxe/Devilles.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
hey, i don't know much about your amp... but i know on my amp the hardware that held the handle on was loose, and it jingled/buzzed

also, it probably isn't something in your room... it's noticeable when it is.. like, my garage door rattles when i crank my amp and play 5th fret on low E.. soo cool tho
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
I'm also almost positive it's not any of the tubes rattling around, I tried holding them still one at a time and the noise didn't change at all.
If the tube was rattling it would be the internals of the tube rattling around inside of the bottle, I don't think you would be able to dampen that just by touching the tube.

EDIT: Something else I just thought of, I am not familiar with that amp but does it have a spring reverb? Its possible that the reverb tank is vibrating. Just a thought.
Last edited by Demigawd at Nov 13, 2008,
Bring the amp to a different room and try it. Or bring it outside (weather permitting). I know for a fact that when I play at my house the light bulbs rattle, but when we have practice at the other guitarist in my band's house nothing rattles.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Aha, well that could make some sense then. When I first heard the noise I thought it sounded like glass, so maybe it's a tube after all. Is there a good way to test them out to see if one's the culprit?

--Also I'm sure it's not the environment, it sounded the same in 3 different places.
I thought if it was a problem with the reverb that I would hear something when the effect was cranked up, which I didn't. If that's not for sure I'm all ears.
Quote by TopTierGuitar
I thought if it was a problem with the reverb that I would hear something when the effect was cranked up, which I didn't. If that's not for sure I'm all ears.

That does make sense I was just trying to think of anything in the amp that could rattle.