So, I have a Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set in my Gibson SG. I picked 'em out on a snap decision, as I had a gig coming up and my old ones were going microphonic. They're very good pickups, but there's just something about them I don't like. So, with Christmas coming up, I'm considering getting a new set.

As far as my bridge pickup goes, the JB seems a little honky and slightly thin. In the neck, the Jazz feels a bit muddy and underpowered compared to the JB.

They don't balance well in the middle position, either, oddly enough, the Jazz seems to overpower the JB, despite the fact that I have the pickup heights set properly and everything.

So, basically, I'm looking for a more articulate, fatter bridge pickup and a clearer neck. I'd also like them to balance well so that I get a useable tone in the middle position. I'd like them to be versatile, as well, because I play everything from blues to pop-punk to hardcore.

Any suggestions?
I assume you had the 490R and 498T originally?

Was there something you didn't like about them - or were they just micophonic?
If it was just microphonic you can pot the old pickups and put them back in.

I suggest this because I like the stock pickups and they seem suited to the versatility you need.
Quote by guitar/bass76
I assume you had the 490R and 498T originally?

Was there something you didn't like about them - or were they just micophonic?
If it was just microphonic you can pot the old pickups and put them back in.

I suggest this because I like the stock pickups and they seem suited to the versatility you need.
They weren't bad, but I always thought they were somewhat muddy, aside from the microphonics. In my opinion, the JB and Jazz are an improvement, but they still don't nail what I want.

Any more suggestions?
DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the neck if you want a very clear, Strat-type pickup, and a Super Distortion for the bridge. I run these in my Schecter, and I love them both.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
if you want a fatter bridge pickup i'd be checking out a Dimarzio Tone Zone

not too sure about the neck but an Air Norton is a common combo with the tone zone.

mind you i dont know what type of music you play so these pickups might be inappropriate but IMO they do fit your descriptions of fatter and clearer respectively
Quote by whiteraven119
So, I have a Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set in my Gibson SG. I picked 'em out on a snap decision, as I had a gig coming up and my old ones were going microphonic. They're very good pickups, but there's just something about them I don't like. So, with Christmas coming up, I'm considering getting a new set.

As far as my bridge pickup goes, the JB seems a little honky and slightly thin. In the neck, the Jazz feels a bit muddy and underpowered compared to the JB.

They don't balance well in the middle position, either, oddly enough, the Jazz seems to overpower the JB, despite the fact that I have the pickup heights set properly and everything.

So, basically, I'm looking for a more articulate, fatter bridge pickup and a clearer neck. I'd also like them to balance well so that I get a useable tone in the middle position. I'd like them to be versatile, as well, because I play everything from blues to pop-punk to hardcore.

Any suggestions?

Dimarzio Norton in the bridge, Humbucker from Hell in the neck, or a pair of Breeds.

Tone Zone will be too full-on and I wouldn't trust it in mahogany, the Air Norton will probably give you the same problems the Jazz did.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
from what i hear, medium output pickups can be muddy in sgs... i could be wrong, but it'd be worth considering.

do you feel that the JB is too hot?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
from what i hear, medium output pickups can be muddy in sgs... i could be wrong, but it'd be worth considering.

do you feel that the JB is too hot?
No, the JB isn't too hot, it just doesn't sound... full enough. Does that make sense?
yeah, sure. it's quite a trebly pickup.

so something around the same output as the JB?

what's your budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, sure. it's quite a trebly pickup.

so something around the same output as the JB?

what's your budget?
I'd like the whole set to come in under $175-ish if possible.

I also do a lot of stuff in Drop D, so something that responds well to dropped tunings would be lovely.
Last edited by whiteraven119 at Nov 14, 2008,
DiMarzio Drop Sonic.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
ok... if you want to keep it under $175, you're probably stuck to dimarzio, duncan etc. (though high order or bg pickups might be worth considering).

i'm not really sure about any specific recommendations, sorry. i'd rather say nothing than tell you something which may be wrong...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave you bad boy! a pickup thread and you haven't mentioned BKPS sppose i'll let you off !
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
Dave you bad boy! a pickup thread and you haven't mentioned BKPS sppose i'll let you off !

I think the $175 budget had something to do with that...unless the TS only needs 3/4 of a pickup
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ yeah. also i don't only mention BKPs...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
god i have this same exact problem i was just about to make a new thread!!! i put a JB/59 combo in my SG and the 59 is really nice, but the JB definitely doesnt help. its just so thin and brittle and twangy and i hate it!

does this also have to do with the fact that its an sg and thats how they sound? my stock ibanez w/ cheap pickups sounds better than my SG. maybe scale length has a lot to do with it?
Well Enough Alone
it might be partly to do with how the sg sounds.

i'd have thought the smaller scale length would have made things less twangy/snappy, though. i suspect the problem is that the JB kinda sounds like that, and may be accentuating things which you don't like about the SG's sound...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?