Was wondering what are the negative aspects of having a really low action on your guitar. I know for Steve Vai that his high E string got caught under the neck pickup, and theres a lot of fret buzz when it's set low, but is there anything else in specific to keep in mind? I don't know enough drawbacks to not do it. It seems to me it's all personal preference.
"Don't panic, everything is falling neatly out of order"
- Douglas Adams
bends might fret out quicker and you could loose some sustain since the strings don't have as much room to vibrate freely.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
You can't play slide guitar on a guitar with low action.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
my sustain dies really quickly.. and i get mad fret buzz and the string catches sometimes.. been meaning to raise it
low action can lead to spontaneous combustion... like its almost unavoidable
Who cares about a little fret buzz? It's not like it can be heard when you're plugged in...or atleast it's never happened to me.
I like low action, and I strum pretty hard and I don't get much/any fret buzz. Unless you put the action stupidly low, or you strum stupidly hard you shouldn't have too much problems.
Hammer-ons feel/sound alot more fluent with low action too.
Less sustain is the main flaw. Worse tuning stability can also be a problem. Depending on just how low we're talking, and the string gauge, tone can also become muddy and indistinct; the overall dynamic responsiveness can be reduced.

That's in addition to the obvious problems like fretbuzz, bend issues at the higher frets, and so on.

Generally speaking you shouldn't lower your strings any more than a couple of mm from the frets, and even then you're on dodgy ground. I know lots of metal players want very low action for speed, but the truth is if you practise with higher action then the muscles in your hand will build up to be used to that, and there's nothing physically stopping someone from playing quickly on higher action.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Less sustain is the main flaw. Worse tuning stability can also be a problem. Depending on just how low we're talking, and the string gauge, tone can also become muddy and indistinct; the overall dynamic responsiveness can be reduced.

That's in addition to the obvious problems like fretbuzz, bend issues at the higher frets, and so on.

Generally speaking you shouldn't lower your strings any more than a couple of mm from the frets, and even then you're on dodgy ground. I know lots of metal players want very low action for speed, but the truth is if you practise with higher action then the muscles in your hand will build up to be used to that, and there's nothing physically stopping someone from playing quickly on higher action.

Couldnt have said it any better
Try learn some dragonforce songs on an acoustic.
Its hard at first but then take it to an electric and you'll player than herman and sam combined (coz they're crap)
you lose a lot of tone, a lot of sustain, there's a lot of fret buzz, it's harder to bend, MUCH harder to do pinch harmonics, and most of all it's just harder to play with feeling IMO
for me, it makes bending much harder and that is a huge turn off.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R