How do you go about doing this? I know a little theory and standard notation so enlighten me
if you already have lyrics written, figure out how you want them sung and write music around it. worked out great for me. but lyrics over already set music is a different story. your best off starting from scratch and going from how the music feels for you.

best of luck
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Anybody up for a WookieCore Band? You let me know.

Watch me as i Rock on...
Quote by Raiderkid38
but lyrics over already set music is a different story. your best off starting from scratch and going from how the music feels for you.
I hope you don't mean that the lyrics should be discarded.
I have a LOT of trouble setting lyrics to music. I may come up with a really beautiful chord progression, and just write a really cool sounding song, but when it comes time to do lyrics, I just can't do it. I can't find a zone for a particular song.

When it comes to lyrics, I always sing them as I write them to see if they're working or not. After that, I figure out the key of the melody, and then the underlying chords (which CAN be a bit of a pain if you don't hear it as a whole). After that, I usually end up needing to restructure a few parts, simply because of timing. You might need to change the way you originally intended to sing them. Maybe singing one word longer than you may have originally wanted to, or adding a few more words. Changing one or two words here and there to state an idea more clearly. You get where this is going, right?

I think that lyrics are the hardest part of music. It's definitely a skill that you need to develop (one which I sadly haven't -- yet). I can't really offer much advice in this field, because I've only just recently started to really write lyrics. I'll tell you, though, the easiest time to write lyrics is when I'm depressed. There's always something to write about, and it doesn't mean that everything's going to come out "I wish I was dead" or something like that. You can take any idea and write about it, which is why I love lyrics. You've just gotta know how to phrase everything. Once you know what kind of idea you wanna convey with a song, it's generally much easier to finish.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I hope you don't mean that the lyrics should be discarded.

no not exactly. if you have lyrics then build the music around them. if you have music then write lyrics that fit the music. if you have both dont try to force them to fit. cause it likely wont sound very good. as it shows in most cases.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Anybody up for a WookieCore Band? You let me know.

Watch me as i Rock on...
oftentimes i'll take record a rough demo of the song and listen to it and try to discern "out of all the lyrics i have which ones fit best" then i'll take the lyrics and just start singing them over the music and see what happens, usually after a little while i'll come up with a catchy melody and bam thats it. rinse and repeat until the song is done.