Alright so I am a drummer for the most part. I play guitar at an adept level and I can play bass. (Considering that I can pick.)

Well I don't know anything about keys and I want to play bass for my friends who are wanting to start a new group with a couple members of our old band that I drummed for. We practiced today and I couldn't do anything because I don't know bass well enough to follow a guitar or anything. I need to know about keys I think.

I don't really know the exact right question to ask, but that is my problem.
I wish to refrain from root notes, haha. Anyone can do that. Creativity is a gift.
Check out Modal bass playing online and into some Jazz style bassists, that would be the best route to travel.

EDIT: I just got off work so if you want more of an explanation than that, you'll have to ask for it . . . and I mean that in the least prickishly possible way.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Last edited by notsee at Nov 14, 2008,
Quote by Ann Harbor
I wish to refrain from root notes, haha. Anyone can do that. Creativity is a gift.

Tough titty I'm afraid - if you don't know anything about keys yet then you're going to have to start at the beginning and keep it simple. Even when things get more complex root notes are still going to be what you're working around and using as your point of reference.

As far as learning your theory goes have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
yes. You need to learn scales and learn where notes are on the fretboard. Wouldn't hurt to learn intervals either.

The only way I see this going anywhere is to start off playing root notes
Quote by Ann Harbor
Will learning scales help me with my problem?

Yes, if you want to create complex basslines that actually fit then you'll need to know about keys, intervals, scales and chord construction.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Once you know the root note you can play the associated scale and work in little riffs using the correct notes in the key(scale)

I'm in somewhat the same boat, I understand the concepts but I am not knowledgeable enough, I can't process the key and the number of flats/sharps... plus I don't know the fretboard which is another important part
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards