i wanted to know what the best type of strings i could get for the sound of my band

right now we are doing cover of bands like Aerosmith, Guns n roses, Van Halen, quiet riot, poison and other bands like that

im using ernie ball power slinky and was wondering if i should get a different type or if these are good for that music

thanks in advance
Guitars:
Epiphone SG G-400
Lyon Washburn Strat

Amps:
Marshall Mg 10cd
Lyon mini amp
Line 6 HD75 half stack

Pedals:
Boss V-wah

Bass:
Squire P-bass
In the grand scheme of things, your strings aren't gonna change your tone too much (unless they're coated or something)
Just make sure that you get the right gauges for your tuning and that your guitar has correct intonation with them.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
In the grand scheme of things, your strings aren't gonna change your tone too much (unless they're coated or something)
Just make sure that you get the right gauges for your tuning and that your guitar has correct intonation with them.

ok so what would the right gauge for just standard tuning?
Guitars:
Epiphone SG G-400
Lyon Washburn Strat

Amps:
Marshall Mg 10cd
Lyon mini amp
Line 6 HD75 half stack

Pedals:
Boss V-wah

Bass:
Squire P-bass
Well, what guitar do you have?
I basically mean that you shouldn't get strings meant for downtuning if you're tuning into standard.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Well, what guitar do you have?
I basically mean that you shouldn't get strings meant for downtuning if you're tuning into standard.

i have an epi SG G-400
Guitars:
Epiphone SG G-400
Lyon Washburn Strat

Amps:
Marshall Mg 10cd
Lyon mini amp
Line 6 HD75 half stack

Pedals:
Boss V-wah

Bass:
Squire P-bass
A typical .11 set should be good for you.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
You might give D'Addario a try next time you do a string change. I switched to them from Ernie Ball.
.010-.046 would be good.
u should use lighter strings for the bending in GNR songs.

I use D'Addario XL strings they sound and feel really good.
so this is what i got from this, correct me if i'm wrong, is that power slinky, regular slinky and such don't really change the sound
Guitars:
Epiphone SG G-400
Lyon Washburn Strat

Amps:
Marshall Mg 10cd
Lyon mini amp
Line 6 HD75 half stack

Pedals:
Boss V-wah

Bass:
Squire P-bass
Correct. Although strings can change your tone a little bit. I'm just saying, that it really doesn't matter too much what they sound like, as long as the gauge is comfortable for you, and your guitar intonates well with them.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
No. They will have different tensions for if you downtune, so they dont go all floppy. There will be a small difference, but probably not noticable.
Last edited by littlephil at Nov 14, 2008,
if your tuning in standard, the only time your strings will make a difference in tone is if they're old. otherwise it's all your amp and guitar.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
if your tuning in standard, the only time your strings will make a difference in tone is if they're old. otherwise it's all your amp and guitar.
Gotta disagree man, I used Markleys for decades, then I tried the Elixer strings on my Gibson LPC, They were warmer sounding. Then I tried the DR Black beauties that I usually put on the Jackson and they were brighter, plus got a little more whisper out of them. They were all the same gauge, ten through forty six's. Plus my friend plays those D'adario's and convinced me to try a set and they sounded dead to me. Couldn't get 'em off of there quick enough. To each his own though.
mmmhh... am I crazy or am I the only one thinking that string makes a noticeable difference?

I can't stand Dean Barkley's Blue Steels for being so chilly and cold.

But at any rate, it's pretty much like any other thing on the guitar.... it's the combination of all the factors...

Say you have a mahogany body with fat humbuckers and find it too dark sounding, then some dark sounding strings will not be a wise choice unless you're looking for a really dark sound.

And yeah, if you're detuning, go to heavier gauges... they'll handle better.