Although they released a limited amount of music I think Refused made some pretty intense and thought provoking music, their definitive album The Shape of Punk to Come I think is their best work although you would do well to aknowledge other releases such as Songs to Fan the Flames of Discontent and This Just Might Be the Truth.

So lets use this thread to discuss the great band that was once Refused and not get into an argument about genres please.

And for anyone that hasnt heard them before heres some suggested listening.

-Refused are ****ing Dead
-New Noise
-Rather be Dead
-Summer Holidays Vs. Punkroutine
-Tannhäuser / Derivè
-Liberation Frequency
-Hate breeds hate
-Pump the Brakes
She Had An Abortion That She Made Me Pay For
Most underrated band of all time. They were so progressive its not even funny. They are about 99.9% responsible for the way "punk" music sounds today.
Quote by mckraf99
Most underrated band of all time.
i would dispute that. good band who made some innovative music, but i wouldnt call them underrated.
Brilliant band. Its a shame i was tooyoung to see them when they last toured the uk in 97 (i was 6). Looking back through their catalogue every single album they released stands outon its own as brilliant. Make sure you buy this just might be...the truth, amazing album.

Also if you like Refused try out their "little brother" Abhinanda Chris Steen came from them (with Par Hansen going the other way) and they both grew up together and took similar paths.Awesome music LONG LIVE REFUSED.
im sure theres at least 1 refused thread going on in the hardcore forum

but yeah, they were awesome, the shape of punk to come was a pretty original album when it came out.

i was pretty shocked when new noise featured on the film crank? i thought they were supposed to be anarchists or something?
Ive only heard Shape of Punk to Come, and its solid. I will search for other albums. great lyrics. beautiful music
myspace.com/barcodeyouth
I just got The Shape of Punk to Come a few days ago. I'm not usually into this sort of stuff, but I like them.
great band, altho imo- hardcore forum, they get talked about over there regularly, or the thread reappears for a while. tSoptc is a great album, one on the greatst hardcore albums imo, i also like- songs to fan the flames of discontent, did i get the name right, rather be dead and the slayer are a couple of killer tracks from it.
www.street-dogs.com
www.randytheband.com
www.maroonhate.com
This band is a lot better than I was previously willing to give them credit for. Hate Breeds Hate is grreat.
Last edited by blackflag49 at Nov 17, 2008,
I like New Noise quite a bit.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by original=punk
Do any of you have f*cking ears?

These guys are terrible. 'Nuff said.

I was going to say this, but in a more diplomatic way.
Shape of Punk to Come was one of my favorite albums for a long time. I grew tired of it after a while, but still give it credit as being very influential and important to me. I can see why people are turned off by their style of music, but please, there's a difference between a band being bad, and a band simply playing music that you dont like.
Quote by Zardokk
Everybody must get stoned! (If they are me.)
Quote by Spaceman_Spiff
Shape of Punk to Come was one of my favorite albums for a long time. I grew tired of it after a while, but still give it credit as being very influential and important to me. I can see why people are turned off by their style of music, but please, there's a difference between a band being bad, and a band simply playing music that you dont like.

And this is the kind of band that is just purely bad.
Quote by original=punk
And this is the kind of band that is just purely bad.

Could you elaborate? When I listen to them, I see talented technical musicians playing music that no one else had ever done before them. Yeah its abrasive, yeah the singers voice is annoying etc, but again that doesn't make them bad, it just means they don't appeal to you.
Quote by Zardokk
Everybody must get stoned! (If they are me.)
From what I've heard I wouldn't say they're doing what "no one else has done before," I'd say they're just giving things their own unique spin. It just comes off like hardcore punk with some cues from other genres and room for experimenting.
They sound like pretty good musicians (except for the singer) who happen to make music that I find pretty awful--but it's certainly not generic or simple. There's a lot going on there; I just think they're really over rated and sound far too busy to be interesting.
DOWN&OUT
"New Noise" was in Crank.

Which saved me the effort of downloading some Refused and then deleting it when I found it unsatisfactory.
I dont find the singers voice annoying at all its quite suited to the music he really changes dynamic in his voice and uses it to ramp up the intensity in many of their songs eg The Shape Of Punk To Come
She Had An Abortion That She Made Me Pay For
Quote by Spaceman_Spiff
Could you elaborate? When I listen to them, I see talented technical musicians playing music that no one else had ever done before them. Yeah its abrasive, yeah the singers voice is annoying etc, but again that doesn't make them bad, it just means they don't appeal to you.

I like noise rock, I like lo-fi unintelligible music. Refused sound like...polished noise rock. Mainstream noise rock, like nu-metal to me. Like Korn. With breakdowns.It's bland to me. Everyone's like "OMG SO INFLUENTIAL AND ORIGINAL NEVER HEARD ANYTHING LIKE IT" when really, its like a hardcore band got together with Helmet.
Last edited by original=punk at Jan 18, 2009,