Page 1 of 2
for me slow sounds heavier, some pig destroyer songs sound heavy as **** to me, but usually it's the slow shit

.. so slow or fast?
I would hafta say slower stuff seems heavier to me. Doom Metal FTW!!
Quote by Perfection 101
If we all had this guy's clarity of thought, world peace would ensue

Quote by Zugunruhe
incidentally, there are absolutely no results for "bizzare anal kazoo" on google.

Both.

Electric Wizard and Nile sound about as heavy as each other to me.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Both, but it's 2 different kinds of heavy.
Schecter Tempest Custom
Squier Jagmaster
Epiphone Les Paul Jr. (Modified)
Crafter D-8

DOD FX50-B > EHX Little Big Muff > Digitech Whammy 4 >
Dunlop Cry Baby > Zoom G3 > Boss DD-7 > Digitech Digiverb

Orange OR-15
Marshall Valvestate VS100
Quote by Avedas
Fast and slow at the same time.

Electric Wizard riffs over a blast beat?

Fast Nile riffing over a half time groove?

Sounds like win

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
it's all about presentation! She Rides by Danzig is just as heavy as Wait and Bleed by Slip Knot, it's just a different heavy
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
depends more on how it's played. Speed and/or Tuning have very little to do with heaviness.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Fast. Slow may be able to sound quite brutal, but nothing can compare to low E string tremolo picking, rapid-fire drums, guttural vocals and a deadly bassline all at once.

Actually, I think the fact that I'm listening to Akercocke right now may have influenced my decision just a bit.

Quote by Avedas
Fast and slow at the same time.

The start of this song is a perfect example of this... I hope.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=VzdFTth68pM
Last edited by 'Leviathan' at Nov 14, 2008,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
depends more on how it's played. Speed and/or Tuning have very little to do with heaviness.

QFT.

Anyone can tremelo pick the low E string with some fast drums.

Takes good note selection and proper phrasing to make a riff heavy to me.
Slow Palm muted crunches sound much heavier than a fast intriquite riff, but who cares. thats sound. i go by my opinion of what is heavy. =) As I Lay Dying FTW
Life Sucks. Get over it.
All depends on the layering of the tracks, not really the tempo. I'll use All That Remains as an example.

I loved The Fall of Ideals. Great album, most of the tracks were pretty heavy, and pretty fast. the drums were layered to be pretty audible and the bass was layered pretty high up as well.

Their newest album, Overcome, is a lot less heavy. The guitars got layered way above everything else, leaving a lack of low end. 'tis the low end that brings the brutality imo.

tl;dr All That Remains' new album sucked
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Quote by E_squared
Both, but it's 2 different kinds of heavy.

Bingo. Dead on!

Cannibal Corpse is fast, and heavy. Grave is slow (usually...) and still heavy. Just like how the tuning doesn't make the music anymore heavy, it's all in the riff and beat together.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Wearing sandals on stage is not metal. Period.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by potcorn56
ABR has some nasty breakdowns
another example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5JY0lVpBYg&feature=related

i cant wait for them get back in the states and work on their new album

slow + heavy =/= breakdowns.

See Electric Wizard and just about all other stoner/doom bands: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XWHplp10kQM

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by ToweringFlesh
from stoner shit eyehategod is heavy as ****

I'm not so big on eyehategod personaly but they are indeed heavy as hell, I'm more of an Electric Wizard, Sleep/High on Fire, Orange Gobin and Cathedral kind of guy.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Slower more groove oriented riffs seem heavier to me. A New Level by Pantera is a good example.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by potcorn56
what makes a breakdown then?

Breakdowns may be slow and heavy but slow and heavy doesn't automatically make it a breakdown. Check out more doom and be educated.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I'm still awaiting a reply from a scene kid, saying something like:
"OMG lolz!!11! W4king teh CADEVER, lol!!!! he4viest b4nd EVER!!!!!ololololol most Br00tal bre4kdOWNS!!!"
slow.
I'm thinkin kyuss slow.mmm kyuss...
Doesn't the name kyuss sounds like something you would buy? as in:
'hey can I get two kyuss's' or 'a pack of kyuss,please'
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
+1 to the "It's how it's played comment". That part in Battery, just after the solo (3:47) is effing brutal. And I think a lot of heaviness is in contrasting tempos....like the drums and guitars in the spot I just mentioned. Fast melody over slow tempo is good, and fast tempo over slow melody is even better.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 14, 2008,
I don't know. Corpse is decently fact, and they're heavy. Electric Wizard are slow, and they're heavy.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Breakdowns may be slow and heavy but slow and heavy doesn't automatically make it a breakdown. Check out more doom and be educated.

i think a breakdown is a part of a song where there is a significant change in tempo where guitars have particular repeated heavy riffs. this is then usually accompanied by double bass drums for a defined sound. Vocals may be added and are usually slow and deep.
Quote by nincompoop
potcorn56, you are a god.
Quote by potcorn56
i think a breakdown is a part of a song where there is a significant change in tempo where guitars have particular repeated heavy riffs. this is then usually accompanied by double bass drums for a defined sound. Vocals may be added and are usually slow and deep.

What makes this not a bridge?

Breakdowns = spin kicks.
Bridge = circle pit.

Quote by sargasm
I'd go with songs that have a 'solid' pace as heavier, on the slow side but not dragging on, like When the Levee Breaks. Most people won't agree with me on that song being very heavy though so... :P
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by potcorn56

You are an idiot. I am well aware of exactly what a breakdown is, I'm trying to get it into your head that a slow song doesn't have to be one long breakdown. Go and listen to lots of doom, stoner, funeral doom and drone doom and please try to understand.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
What makes this not a bridge?

Breakdowns = spin kicks.
Bridge = circle pit.

it makes it both a bridge and a breakdown i never said it wasnt a bridge i was just saying what i think a breakdown is.
Quote by nincompoop
potcorn56, you are a god.
I think we're all confusing heavy with brutal. They are similar, but not the same thing. Honestly though, it depends on the listener. What's heavier is just opinion.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Page 1 of 2