So I decided that I want to rip out the 3 single coils in my strat and just slap in a humbucker with a volume control. I am a former electronics student but i have never overhauled a guitars pickups/wiring harness before. What should I expect? I expect I will just need the volume pot, cap, resistor and input jack, so I can instal the humbucker correct? Any tips or advice before I screw this thing up?
Gear Building Thread.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Don't take this the wrong way or anything, but why the hell would you want to do this?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by thsrayas
Don't take this the wrong way or anything, but why the hell would you want to do this?

Because i just don't like the tone of single coils. I play alot of harder edged rock and singles just don't do it for me, no matter how much gain or distortion i add to my signal the single coils just can't get that "crunch" that I want. Plus it is a cheap guitar and the original pickups kinda suck anyway they hum and buzz like hell.
Last edited by Pizza The Hut at Nov 14, 2008,
You'd be better off getting a different guitar than swapping the pickups. The type of wood and the mass of the guitar also has an effect on the tone and a guitar that's made for rock will do a much better job.

But if you just need a temporary solution you should leave the two single coils in your guitar and throw a humbucker in the bridge. All you will have to do is take the strings off, remove the pickguard, unscrew and de-solder the bridge pickup, then screw in the humbucker, solder it and put everything back on. It's very simple, just some basic soldering.

What amp are you using?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by thsrayas
You'd be better off getting a different guitar than swapping the pickups. The type of wood and the mass of the guitar also has an effect on the tone and a guitar that's made for rock will do a much better job.

But if you just need a temporary solution you should leave the two single coils in your guitar and throw a humbucker in the bridge. All you will have to do is take the strings off, remove the pickguard, unscrew and de-solder the bridge pickup, then screw in the humbucker, solder it and put everything back on. It's very simple, just some basic soldering.

What amp are you using?

A BlackHeart head (tube) + 2X12 Road King cab + my pedal board.

Well i don't wanna get rid of this guitar because it was my first and i have a attachment to it plus it is very well constructed and nice playing. It's just got bad pickups.

So i could just swap out the bridge with a humbucker?

l--------l
l o o l
l o o l-------------bare
l o o l-------------green
l o o l
l o o l----------white
l o o l ---------red
---------- If i did this would i just tape off red+white and connect green and bare top the old bridge pick up leads?
Awesome, we have the same amp. I definitely understand the sentimental value your guitar has, but there's nothing wrong with getting another one some day.

Assuming you have two single coils, one humbucker, one volume, two tones and a five-way switch then use this:

You should start a new thread to get pickup recommendations for your guitar.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
^No need to start a new thread TS, just ask here.

If you're going for the EVH sound then a PAF of some sort would do you very well.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Just saying so he could get more replies.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by thsrayas
Awesome, we have the same amp. I definitely understand the sentimental value your guitar has, but there's nothing wrong with getting another one some day.
Assuming you have two single coils, one humbucker, one volume, two tones and a five-way switch then use this:

You should start a new thread to get pickup recommendations for your guitar.

Thanks for the shematics. I've got another, my Paul, i just figured i could hot rod my first one to try to keep it up preformance wise because the Paul totally owns it right now.
Ah ok, you should have mentioned that and we could have gone straight to the rest instead of trying to figure out why you wanted to wreck your guitar.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
If you're serious about changing the tone of your strat I would change the tone capacitor on your tone pot. You've probably got a cheap ass .022 sprauge cap in there. Those are for Gibson les pauls not strats! As far as pickups, to each his own, I'd stick with the originals or some pre-cbs ones. Good luck!
Guitar: '83 Fender American Stratocaster
Amp: '67 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: TS808 clone, SHO boost, MXR+ distortion
Quote by tamias89
If you're serious about changing the tone of your strat I would change the tone capacitor on your tone pot. You've probably got a cheap ass .022 sprauge cap in there. Those are for Gibson les pauls not strats! As far as pickups, to each his own, I'd stick with the originals or some pre-cbs ones. Good luck!

What should i use if i upgraded the cap? Would it have that much of an effect?

I really just wanna get rid of the horrid 60 cycle hum and the feedback, and improve the tone. The stock pups are cheap japanese made pickups, they sound awful but the guitar itself is great.
The cap effects the frequency rolled off. If your talking about a guitar and a volume knob, you don't need a cap.
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.