I don't know much about amps... Other than what I consider "good" sounding. (Screw Digital !)
What I was wondering... What exactly does the "watts" rating on an amp do/mean ?

I do know that most amps needed for bigger venues need more watts, so does it have to do with volume?

But then again, I heard someone saying how a 60watt tube amp can blow away a 100watt solid state anyday...

My main reason for this topic is because I need a new amphead.
I'm currently using a Marshall MG 100watt (not by choice... It was all my band could afford)

And the amp I'm looking at is an Orange Rockverb50 (a 50watt tube amp). (sounds awesome~! XD ) Will this be good enough for medium size venues, clubs, and bars?
To the human ear, tube amps sound louder than SS. IDK why, ask someone more experienced.

I can say, though, that that Orange will be more than loud enough for most gigs.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
watts is how much power it uses(J/s).

More watts generally equates to more sound energy.

Tube amps sound louder than solid state amps to the human ear, hence why it is often said that a 100w SS equates to around half the wattage in a tube amp.
yes the orange rockverb will rock out good sized venues! Tube amps put out more than the wattage they are rated at when cranked, as the tubes drive it further. Or something like that.

Intensity of sound is related directly to power (wattage) (I=Power/4(pi)r^2) or something along those lines, but because decibels are a logarithmic measure (dB=10log(I/Io)) a 50% drop in watts does not equate to a 50% drop in volume (dBs). I think a 50% drop in sound intensity is a 3dB drop in volume, not that significant.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by romanqwerty
watts is how much power it uses(J/s).

More watts generally equates to more sound energy.

Tube amps sound louder than solid state amps to the human ear, hence why it is often said that a 100w SS equates to around half the wattage in a tube amp.

is their a reason why?
Quote by Deep*Kick
yes the orange rockverb will rock out good sized venues! Tube amps put out more than the wattage they are rated at when cranked, as the tubes drive it further. Or something like that.

Intensity of sound is related directly to power (wattage) (I=Power/4(pi)r^2) or something along those lines, but because decibels are a logarithmic measure (dB=10log(I/Io)) a 50% drop in watts does not equate to a 50% drop in volume (dBs). I think a 50% drop in sound intensity is a 3dB drop in volume, not that significant.

awesome