I just picked up my Jackson after a few days and it was way out of tune and now there's some wicked fret buzz. Almost like someone knocked it over, but it's been sitting on the stand since the last time I played it.

If it was knocked over, the tuning I understand, but why the fret buzz now? The neck's fine. It's a Tune-o-Matic that's a little uneven, but I have no idea how it was before.
You're*
temperature differences can detune your guitar and/or warp your neck.

is the fret buzz still there when you tune up again?
This is why you always keep guitars in a place with stable temperature and humidity. I wouldn't worry too much about it, guitars aren't as sensitive as people make them out to be sometimes. Tune your guitar, if the buzz is still there, raise your bridge just a tad. If that doesn't improve anything, you ****ed up kid.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
lol, that happened to me last year. i got my guitar set up during the winter, then summer came and i couldn't play any notes until i got past the fourth fret. either wait for the seasons to change or go get your guitar set up in a few weeks (because the season is still in transition itll just get f'ed up again if you do it now
Quote by BrokenBricks
This is why you always keep guitars in a place with stable temperature and humidity. I wouldn't worry too much about it, guitars aren't as sensitive as people make them out to be sometimes. Tune your guitar, if the buzz is still there, raise your bridge just a tad. If that doesn't improve anything, you ****ed up kid.

I'm 4 years older than you, don't call me "kid."

Quote by Revhain
temperature differences can detune your guitar and/or warp your neck.

is the fret buzz still there when you tune up again?

Yeah, it's still there. My other guitar's fine, though, and they never leave this room. In fact, my other guitar stays here under the window. Could it really have been a temperature change?

Quote by hmblm12
lol, that happened to me last year. i got my guitar set up during the winter, then summer came and i couldn't play any notes until i got past the fourth fret. either wait for the seasons to change or go get your guitar set up in a few weeks (because the season is still in transition itll just get f'ed up again if you do it now

Yeah, it's this. It's not unplayable, it just sounds bad. Lame.
You're*
tom bridges are usally higher on the low E side. you might try to raise the bridge alittle at a time and maybe that might help with the fret buzz. if not sounds like it might need a neck adjustment.
Quote by hmblm12

Wow, That must be a poorly built guitar. I live in a place that has extreme weather 100+ degrees in the summer, and freezing and tons of snow in the winter. I have probally owned at least 35 guitars in my life, and i have never had one do that just from temperature changes, and seasons. But i dont leave them outside! LMFAO
i left my old strat in the pool house overnight once, and when i came out the next morning, the neck absorbed the water from the humidity in the air and it became all warped...but after letting it sit in my house by a humidifier it pulled out all the water and the neck was fine.
Quote by Survivalism
I just picked up my Jackson after a few days and it was way out of tune and now there's some wicked fret buzz. Almost like someone knocked it over, but it's been sitting on the stand since the last time I played it.

If it was knocked over, the tuning I understand, but why the fret buzz now? The neck's fine. It's a Tune-o-Matic that's a little uneven, but I have no idea how it was before.

there's a setup Q n A link in my sig takes you to a tutorial in the first post and ill answer any questions you might have.

what's going on, depends on which strings and what frets are buzzing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
seasonal changes usually require a truss rod, string height and intonation adjustment. Do that and you'll be good to go.
How would the temperature effect only the Jackson way on the other side of the room, and not the ESP underneath the window?

Raising the bridge didn't fix it, and the truss rod just so happens to need some random size of socket that I don't have, so I'm pretty unhappy. Looks like I don't have a Jackson.
You're*
because guitars are made of different types of woods, are different ages, and are put together in different ways.

but if you measure and the neck needs adjustment, then that's really the only answer you need.

adjusting your neck
this is not action adjustment. that's done at the bridge.
a neck adjustment usually helps, when a bridge adj can't get the strings low enough , or if you have fretbuzz that doesn't go away wt bridge adjustment.

please dont turn your truss rod without posting first. but here's a good way to see if you might need a neck adjustment.

with a balanced bridge...
fret the Low E on the first fret. at the same time,
fret the Low E on the last fret, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets, 7-9th

if the string lays on the fret wire there, you probably dont have enough neck bend.
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there, you probably have too much.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011