hey UG,
I have my pickups set pretty low and I noticed that they could be moving with the pickguard. would this change the height of the pickup or would it just be the pickup covers moving with the actual pickup staying in place
thanx
Last edited by striker327 at Nov 14, 2008,
if they are set low, then the spring is completely compressed.

it is possible that pups and guard can move a little if the guard is pressed and there is a little air space under the guard.

most likely the pup cover is pressed up against the actual pickup. usually they wont pop off and especially not if the screw and spring are compressed. doesnt seem to me as if there would be a ton of room to do that.

unless you physically see the poles dip under the plastic pup cover, i would assume the pup cover and its guts are all moving as one single unit. up and down with the motion of the guard, if the guard has empty space under it.

i never found this to be any sort of noticable problem at all.

if you are saying that you notice volume fluctuations when you play, i guess then you should look into it.
if not, i think you should probably just play the guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yeh I think everything is fine... its just i was wondering whether the whole pup was moving or whether it was just the cover.. and I'm pretty sure it was the cover every now and then it must be getting caught on the pickgaurd and therefore u can push the cover back down

thanx again Jen
yeah on strats, sometimes, the cover easily lifts off. it's not soldered on like with humbucker covers.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
try replacing the springs with those little rubber tubes that come with new pickups, I've found them to be much better than springs, both in suspending the pickups and dampening vibration.