Page 1 of 2
..Can never be found through an IQ test. (An iq test doesn't determine a genius, and if it's the only accepted way of measuring, Read the following why I think this is wrong)

I'm having a coffee and i'm in for a discussion about this. I made up the following form.

Person A
(a very smart person from Oxford or Harvard, or just very smart)
Person B (The potential Genius)

Edit:
Person A and B both finished the Iq test at the same time (the fastest you can write or click the answers)

Person A makes an Iq test with the most intelligent (read difficult) questions he can come up with.

Person B makes the test, and makes it 100% correct on all points.

Person B
has the highest IQ that Person A has ever seen.

This makes Person B equally smart as Person A.

In order to find out if Person B is smarter, he needs more intelligent questions. If we assume that person A is the smartest man we know off. Then he can't make the iq test, cause he would need to make questions which goes beyond his intelligence, and he can't..

We will never find out if person B is smarter, cause if he makes his own questions, they can never be checked by person A, cause it would go beyond his intelligence, so there's no true way of telling if the questions Person B comes up with are truly genius or random shit.

Feel free to comment.

Edit: Even with colour code people don't understand what I wrote? And to the guy who said I need to go to english class. I know, I'm dutch not english.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 14, 2008,
The most genius person on Earth?

Apparently it's not you, go back to English class!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Everybody is smart (ok not everyone) but some people are better at different aspects of life.
I just need about $3.50
(<X.X)O=('.'Q)

I'm the motherflippin'
IQ tests are measured by how quickly you answer a set of questions in addition to your score.

Additionally these questions are problem based not knowledge based.

So unless person A and person B are doing the tests in the exact same amount of time then you can differentiate between them.
Person C.

A CHALLENGER APPEARS!

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by rigiddigits
Acing an IQ test does not necessarily make you a genius...

Well that's exactly my point. That the most genius person can't be found, cause an iq test is the only "accepted" form to measure intelligence. Unless there's another form to test.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Well that's exactly my point. That a true genius can't be found, cause an iq test is te only "accepted" form to measure intelligence. Unless there's another form to test.

I think a true genius can be found by the impact he makes in his particular field of expertise to be honest.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
I think a true genius can be found by the impact he makes in his particular field of expertise to be honest.

I agree on that, but alot of wankers only believe an iq test proves ur intelligence.

For me personally, a genius is a person that helps mankind in either a scientific field or psychologically field (read direct help to people: peace, making society work etc.)

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I agree on that, but alot of wankers only believe an iq test proves ur intelligence.

Does that not just go to show their intelligence though?

And I thought you were arguing that you couldn't find true genius?
Quote by GLP_Arclite

richard feynman - he's a genius, was a genius
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
If your over 40 and can operate anything electronic, your a genius.
Quote by Jaymz_515
I pretend I'm a huge spider laying eggs, then when I flush the toilet I fall to floor screaming "MY CHILLLDRENN!! NOOOO!"

If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.
- Mitch Hedberg
interesting theory...

but someone can only be so smart.

so, there should be a 3rd test, of only moderate difficult questions.

whom ever does it faster, is smarter (quicker train of thought)

as, by the sounds of it, they both already know everything, so speed of recollection is the only thing left to measture
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by metacarpi
Does that not just go to show their intelligence though?

And I thought you were arguing that you couldn't find true genius?

Ye I just woke up and my english isn't very good, I will change that.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Ye I just woke up and my english isn't very good, I will change that.

Fair enough man.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Have you ever sat an IQ test before?
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by Hale_91
interesting theory...

but someone can only be so smart.

so, there should be a 3rd test, of only moderate difficult questions.

whom ever does it faster, is smarter (quicker train of thought)

as, by the sounds of it, they both already know everything, so speed of recollection is the only thing left to measture

This is what I meant with on all points. They both are equally smart, and as fast. The question, or rather the theory here is (I edited my first post a bit) that a genius can't be found tru an iq test, if u take it that that's the only way to measure intelligence.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 14, 2008,
Quote by Bendybaws
Have you ever sat an IQ test before?

Yes, and when ur dad read bedtime stories to you when u were 12, I read tru his psychological books (he's a psychology) and i learned that ur comment is totally missing the point by lack of evident intelligence.

And don't Judge my english, I'd like too see u talk 1 line dutch.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
IQ tests dont show how much you know, but how quickly you can mentally process a problem.

so yeah, an IQ test can show you how bright you are, but thats about it.

as an 80yo, who would be a little slow, would be a fountain of information, even though a 20yo may have a higher IQ
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Hale_91
IQ tests dont show how much you know, but how quickly you can mentally process a problem.

so yeah, an IQ test can show you how bright you are, but thats about it.

as an 80yo, who would be a little slow, would be a fountain of information, even though a 20yo may have a higher IQ

So you agree an IQ test can't be used to find the most genius person ever? I'm already aware that an IQ test has so many flaws. I'm just stating it

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
lol, i dont think anyone really cares. personally, you generally know if your smart or not.

did you get a bad IQ score??
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Yes, and when ur dad read bedtime stories to you when u were 12, I read tru his psychological books (he's a psychology) and i learned that ur comment is totally missing the point by lack of evident intelligence.

And don't Judge my english, I'd like too see u talk 1 line dutch.

Wind it in

I never said shit about your english, and it was a legit question. My point is that an IQ test is an indicator of a person's potential intelligence, not how smart they are. If person A has a higher IQ than person B, it doesn't mean he's any smarter but according to his IQ he has at least the ability to become smarter.

Jez

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Bendy, that doesnt make sense.. you can only judge ones potential by you own view/opinion

a set test cant show you anything that isnt currently relevant
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Hale_91
Bendy, that doesnt make sense.. you can only judge ones potential by you own view/opinion
a set test cant show you anything that isnt currently relevant

explain?

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
I have to agree with Bendybaws on his point here, the Intelligence Quotient exam only measures the capacity of intelligence at that point in time, it's not set in stone and can increase or decrease over time (as i'm sure u already know). The problem posed by your question actually lies in how u distinguish a genius. There is no true Litmuss test to define a genius. Men like Michaelangelo and Srinivasa Ramanujan are attributed to having genius level intelligence based on their accomplishments, though would they still have been considered geniuses in their time if they hadn't performed these feats, merely lived an ordinary life and held their mental faculties redundant?
well, if you are bad at depicting numeric patterns. (ie. 1,2,3,4,_,6,7,8 whats the missing number)

then you will do badly at that point of the test, ruining your result thus "potential"

if you study sequencing, and learn how to depict the next number, then you will do better. and if you did know, but forgot, then then again, your score will decrease. so it can only depict your intelligence at any one time, rather than what may be in the future.
*Enter Sig Here*
what if the most genious people form each certain uject put in a couple of questions each?

see the most person B would have to be an allrounder.

but some people speicalise is certain things.
Hale_91 thats what i mean, however 'potential' in this instance, for me, is a reference to the current level of ability in the IQ test put in context to the age of the person.
To clarify, a person of above average intelligence at a young age could arguably be said to have high prospects for further attainment in matters of intellect, as youthfulness in conjunction with high intelligence usually denotes a strong likelyhood of future advancement.
Even if a person were to perform under par in a certain aspect of an IQ test it doesn't mean the overall score will drop hugely as an IQ test challenges many different aspects.
I should probably learn to paraphrase sorry .
All an IQ test result shows is how good that person is at IQ tests.
My point can be rebuted in certain respects however as men like Einstein were 'late bloomers' as it were, i merely mean that at a young age people are more open to learning, less set in their ways.
smb, your obv. the genious were talking about.. now leave the thread.

true, that doing well at the test at a young age depicts possible... greatness

although it basically comes down to if the person wants to study and develop their gift.

what are we really discussing? we all agree what they can and cannot do.. lol
*Enter Sig Here*
Who even cares who's clever and who isn't?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Lol we're pretty much just circling on the defintion of 'potential' here like, a bit off topic, so yeah sorry man, i'd argue the spelling of my own name sometimes
lol, meh, agree to disagree, or agree, whatever lol

point is, we had an intellectual conversation in the pit.

first.. one.. ever..

lol
*Enter Sig Here*
^Actually there's alot of intelligent conversations in the pit.
I think your intelligence is determined by how quick of a learner you are, and how quick you learn from your mistakes, but there's no test out there for that...I think.
Quote by Hale_91
lol, meh, agree to disagree, or agree, whatever lol

point is, we had an intellectual conversation in the pit.

first.. one.. ever..

lol

Not really- we have the philosophy & religion thread, the creationism & evolution thread, and many more, where people actually spell correctly and manage to use basic punctuation.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Page 1 of 2