Page 1 of 2
I'm doing an acoustic cover of Changes by Tupac and i was wondering if it is P.C or acceptable for me use use the "N" word which is said numerous times or should i change it to wigger or something.

lol
Are you white or black? Or other? If you're white, then don't say it. You'll just look like an ass who covered the song for the shock value, no matter what your intentions. Change it to homie or something; it has to be different enough to the n word that no one will mistakenly think you said it. You know, just so you don't get reported on the news or anything.
Don't do it.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by pawnshopguitars
Are you white or black? Or other? If you're white, then don't say it. You'll just look like an ass who covered the song for the shock value, no matter what your intentions. Change it to homie or something; it has to be different enough to the n word that no one will mistakenly think you said it. You know, just so you don't get reported on the news or anything.

but some of the "N Bombs" are a rhyming part of the song and it will sound like poopykins if he doesnt say them.

Amendment one mother****er.
USE IT.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
NO.

Do it.

Why?

He'll just look like a racist cunt who picked that song so that he can say the N word and get away with it.

Anyway, it's illegal here.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
just say the damn word you stupid honky
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
You Can't Do This! *D-CBA--EG-BA-*
You Can't Do This! *D-CBA--BG-BA-*
You Can't Do This! *D-CBA--EG-BA-*
You Can't Do This! *D-CBA--BG-BA-*
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
I agree that you should try to preserve the artistic value of the song.. but in this case.. I wouldn't say it.. (if your white)
Quote by boomboosh
What the f**k is you problems?
Yes, I made an account to ask this question. Is it really that weird? No. I wanted some feedback from some proper guitar experts who knew what they were talking about. Sorry, I guess I was wrong.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Why?

He'll just look like a racist cunt who picked that song so that he can say the N word and get away with it.

Saying nigger isn't illegal.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
Saying nigger isn't illegal.

Expressing racism in public is illegal. There was a man who was convicted of racist verbal attacks, and they said if he said the word 'paki' again, he would go to prison.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by rabidguitarist
Why?

...why?

Dude, there's nothing wrong with that word. Nigger. There's no hate behind it. It doesn't mean anything. Dynamite Hack did it, so can you.

Changing it ruins the integrity of the original, which is the whole point, isn't it? Unless you're just doing it for the lulz. If that's the case, you oughtta be smacked.
You're*
Quote by rabidguitarist
Expressing racism in public is illegal. There was a man who was convicted of racist verbal attacks, and they said if he said the word 'paki' again, he would go to prison.

It depends on the context though doesn't it. Saying the word nigger in a cover of a rap song by a black man is hardly the same as screaming 'you fucking nigger' to a black man in the street.
Quote by rabidguitarist

You wanna tell me what about this entire topic expresses racism?
You're*
The fact that you've come onto UG to find out wether or not you're aloud, probably means you're not gonna look like a racist
Quote by Survivalism
You wanna tell me what about this entire topic expresses racism?

Ok, let me draw a parallel.

In one of his stand-up routines, Chris Rock started with this- 'There are two types of black people. There are black people, and there are ******s. I hate ******s.'

Would it be ok for me to go around repeating that?

No it wouldn't, because I'm not from the background, the race, or the upbringing that he is from that makes it understandable and acceptable for him to say it.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by rabidguitarist

In one of his stand-up routines, Chris Rock started with this- 'There are two types of black people. There are black people, and there are ******s. I hate ******s.'

No it wouldn't, because I'm not from the background, the race, or the upbringing that he is from that makes it understandable and acceptable for him to say it.

You said "cunt," doesn't that make you sexist?

Also, please realize that what you're saying is so much more racist than a white guy saying "nigger" with absolutely no meaning behind it.
You're*
Quote by rabidguitarist

See I think it would be ok. Why should Chris Rock be able to say what he wants because he's black?
Quote by Survivalism
You said "cunt," doesn't that make you sexist?

Also, please realize that what you're saying is so much more racist than a white guy saying "nigger" with absolutely no meaning behind it.

The common usage of the word cunt here is not a derogatory reference to women.

There is a lot of meaning behind it. If there was no meaning behind it, then why does it need to be kept in the song?

Quote by fridge_raider
See I think it would be ok. Why should Chris Rock be able to say what he wants because he's black?

Ok then, I'll draw another parallel.

Someone who has cancer and doesn't have long to live makes a joke about it.

I then walk around, healthy as I am, going 'Cancer, haha. What a laugh.'
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Last edited by rabidguitarist at Nov 14, 2008,
Quote by rabidguitarist

There is a lot of meaning behind it. If there was no meaning behind it, then why does it need to be kept in the song?

Because it rhymes?
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by caskettheclown
but some of the "N Bombs" are a rhyming part of the song and it will sound like poopykins if he doesnt say them.

Therefore highlighting the hypocrisy that exists in modern society more than saying the word would. If he said the N word, people's first reaction would be "GASP! He said the n word. But if he said homie, therefore making the song "sound like poopykins" as you so eloquently put it, people would react with a more philosophical "it's a shame he can't say that word. How hypocritical."

I myself believe words are just words, and that only the meaning attached to them offends. I think we should be free to use what words we want; if we did this, then the words would lose their meaning, hopefully eradicating the concept of the "swear word". I just don't think that the best medium for bringing about this change is someone covering a Tupac song on an acoustic guitar to an audience of perhaps a few hundred. At most. He'll just come accross as a racist bigot. So again, don't do it. It isn't worth the hassle you'll get.
Quote by pawnshopguitars
I myself believe words are just words, and that only the meaning attached to them offends. I think we should be free to use what words we want; if we did this, then the words would lose their meaning, hopefully eradicating the concept of the "swear word". I just don't think that the best medium for bringing about this change is someone covering a Tupac song on an acoustic guitar to an audience of perhaps a few hundred. At most. He'll just come accross as a racist bigot. So again, don't do it. It isn't worth the hassle you'll get.

That is the most stupid thing I have ever heard in my life.

Words aren't anything without meaning, they are just a verbal syllable which is used to convey that meaning.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by rabidguitarist

But it is here. And you're going on about British laws that don't effect the rest of us, so, clearly, your rules apply to us and our rules apply to you.

And you're completely missing my point. It had meaning to Tupac when he wrote it. TS isn't Tupac. TS clearly isn't even black, so what does it mean to him? Nothing. He's repeating Tupac's lyrics, and just because he's white, that doesn't automatically make him racist for it. That's just stupid.

And it needs to stay in the song because that's the way the song's written. Period. There's no sacrificing the integrity of it.
You're*
Quote by rabidguitarist

...and "dropping the N bomb" as a quote, in order to cover a piece of music that you have respect for, and wish to, in your own way, take part in... is not being racist towards black people.

I WIN!

TS - just do it.
Quote by Survivalism
But it is here. And you're going on about British laws that don't effect the rest of us, so, clearly, your rules apply to us and our rules apply to you.

And you're completely missing my point. It had meaning to Tupac when he wrote it. TS isn't Tupac. TS clearly isn't even black, so what does it mean to him? Nothing. He's repeating Tupac's lyrics, and just because he's white, that doesn't automatically make him racist for it. That's just stupid.

And it needs to stay in the song because that's the way the song's written. Period. There's no sacrificing the integrity of it.

If it doesn't have any meaning for him, then why cover it?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
How deeply ****ed up that P.C. thing is, i can't find the words. And the mofo's think here that this would be the pinnacle of democracy. No it is a pile of shit, aimed against the majority and freedom of speech.
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
Quote by rabidguitarist
That is the most stupid thing I have ever heard in my life.

Words aren't anything without meaning, they are just a verbal syllable which is used to convey that meaning.

Are you SERIOUS? Never mind the fact that you actually said "most stupid," look at it like this, how many times have I said "nigger" in this thread? Does that mean I automatically hate black people? Am I a horrible racist for saying it? I'm saying it, so there's only one possible thing I could mean by it, right?

Words aren't anything without meaning. All right, "fSIZE=4]uck." What do I mean by that? It conveys no meaning. It's entirely useless without context, just like "nigger."

Quote by rabidguitarist
If it doesn't have any meaning for him, then why cover it?

The word, not the song.
You're*
Page 1 of 2