Hey

I currently have a Peavey valveking 112, thats 50w of tube. In my flat i cant play it more than 2 in volume. Havent taken it it rehersals yet to see how'd it sound at higher volumes but i figured i dunno if i can get it past half of its overall volume.

So im looking for something that can push the tubes to get that tube specific crunch at lower volumes. I was thinking of getting an EQ pedal to push it and shape the tone a bit aswell.

For pedals im just useing a Bad Monkey and a Boss tu2. Epiphone Lp standard/Agile 2000 goldtop.

here are some examples of tones im looking to get:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl_du504h8I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fX_i-HsbYk

Cheers
Get an EQ and a boost.

You're not going to get the exact tone, so keep that in mind and you won't be disappointed.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
hehe ... thx hatebreeder. I play for about 6 years now ..i know that im never gonna be able to get that exact tone ...im trying to get as close as posible tho. Unfortunately here in east europe good gear doesnt come by that often.And its pretty expansive compared to the US . So im pretty unexperienced.

Ok cool i have the boost ( Bad Monkey)...

would i have to push the volume of the EQ all the way up to get the tubes in action ...or just play with the other frequency settings ?
Quote by Kiddd
hehe ... thx hatebreeder. I play for about 6 years now ..i know that im never gonna be able to get that exact tone ...im trying to get as close as posible tho. Unfortunately here in east europe good gear doesnt come by that often.And its pretty expansive compared to the US . So im pretty unexperienced.

Ok cool i have the boost ( Bad Monkey)...

would i have to push the volume of the EQ all the way up to get the tubes in action ...or just play with the other frequency settings ?

You're already pushing your preamp tubes with the Bad Monkey to get saturation.

Pushing your power tubes is a different story. The only way you can really push your amp without the volume is with attenuation. Even with an attenuator, you tend to degrade your tone a little bit. It takes a fair bit of your top end.

Try the EQ, and see if you can shape the tone.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
thats great info thx..

an attenuator was out of the questiong anyway ..

i think i'll try the Danlectro Fish&chips eq ... is there any other eq pedal i should be considering in this price range ?
Quote by Kiddd
thats great info thx..

an attenuator was out of the questiong anyway ..

i think i'll try the Danlectro Fish&chips eq ... is there any other eq pedal i should be considering in this price range ?

Beta Aivin EQ if you can find one.

Maybe a used MXR 5 band EQ or a Boss EQ.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
aye good stuff

dont think i can find the Beta Aivin here in europe. And as i've said good gear comes by rarely here, unfortunately.
i just need something cheap since im only experimenting atm ..

so how should i chain them ?

bad monkey --eq -- boss tu ?
or
eq -- bad money --boss tu ?
I have a Behinger EQ700, it works better and is quiter than my Fish-n-Chips is.
Both are inxpensive and made of plastic. Great for practice/home use but not durable enough to be gig worthy.
Last edited by Billy Picken at Nov 14, 2008,
Quote by Kiddd
aye good stuff

dont think i can find the Beta Aivin here in europe. And as i've said good gear comes by rarely here, unfortunately.
i just need something cheap since im only experimenting atm ..

so how should i chain them ?

bad monkey --eq -- boss tu ?
or
eq -- bad money --boss tu ?

Tuner first, then overdrive, then EQ.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I use a bad monkey and prefer it over any overdrive pedal I've had. It's a digitech pedal but it isn't digital. It's very good for adding gain. If you're already on your lead channel you can use this and get very saturated. It will push the tubes HARD. Some people say they turn the level knob all the way up on the BM. I don't turn it all the way up. Probably about 3 o clock. Make sure you got a noise gate first!
Put the bad monkey in front of your amp btw... You probably knew that. And some people put their noise gate in front of their amp but I hate that. I put the noise gate in the FX loop. I want to eliminate noise from the high gain amps I have. Not the pickups on my guitar.
thx hcsn2008 thats what im useing the BM for at the moment ..to push the tubes ..im not really a fan of high gain.. i like little but clear gain..

@hatebreeder ..

could you please explain why shoud they go in that order ? :P
Well the bad monkey adds a little gain even with the gain knob all the way down. You can always hear that little bit of pre gain. But I love that about it. I can turn my BM off on my 333xl and it's like eh.. it's okay. But I switch it on and people are like man that sounds amazing. I'm going to get me an ISP noise gate today. can't wait.
Quote by Kiddd
thx hcsn2008 thats what im useing the BM for at the moment ..to push the tubes ..im not really a fan of high gain.. i like little but clear gain..

@hatebreeder ..

could you please explain why shoud they go in that order ? :P

That's just the order I like it. You might like how it sounds in a different order.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster