So what are your opinions on the Squire affinity Precision Bass?
I know its a low end bass, but i want your opinion on it, as i am planning to get one.
best selling guitar in the world. i have a squier precision special, which is basically two steps up from an affinity. 'tis fantastic.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
if your going to get something cheap, stay away from the "sub" brands, ie, squire is to fender, epiphone is to gibson etc, just because there cheep stuff is usually garbage.

get a cheap ibanez bass (as its still an ibanez, they have to make them half decent to retain reputation..in theory)

or look into corts if there around where you are, there facrory direct more or less, no middle man "brand" (cort is the factory)
*Enter Sig Here*
Affinites are a little hit or miss. I started playing on an affinity jazz, and it was a great begginer instrument.
Affinities have gotten so much better in the last few years. Try one out side by side with a MIM and even MIA models and see if there really is much of a difference.

But to be honest, save a little more and go for the Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe series. They're amazing.
TS, are u just startin bass? or are u upgrading?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by Hale_91
if your going to get something cheap, stay away from the "sub" brands, ie, squire is to fender, epiphone is to gibson etc, just because there cheep stuff is usually garbage.

get a cheap ibanez bass (as its still an ibanez, they have to make them half decent to retain reputation..in theory)

or look into corts if there around where you are, there facrory direct more or less, no middle man "brand" (cort is the factory)

Squier basses are very much better in relative quality to Fender MIMs than squier guitars are.
Quote by Mecler
Affinities have gotten so much better in the last few years. Try one out side by side with a MIM and even MIA models and see if there really is much of a difference.

But to be honest, save a little more and go for the Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe series. They're amazing.

oh, mecler.... you've opened the floodgate...

Saying "see if there really is much of a difference," between the affinities, MIM's and MIA is just... the silliest I've ever heard someone say about squier basses, though. You can just glance at them and see the differances. A) the tuners on the squier are rediculously cheap little post tuners b) the finish on the affinity is just this ugly gross cheap finish compared to nicer basses c) the nut and frets on it are terrible compared to the MIMs, even higher end squiers.

You pick it up and it's instant. Now, if you were talking about the CV or VM series, I may let it slide more, but no.

In anycase, TS, if you're just starting the Affinity will be a good launching point, just don't expect it to be an amazing bass that stays will you for the rest of your musicall career, you'll get sick of it fast. If you're already a guitar playing and just want a bass to start playing, look at some of the higher end squiers and MIM fenders. You'll know the differance. But if you're just starting off and just want the dirt cheapest bass you can get. It's not half bad.

Also, check out Rondomusic.com, they have cheap P-bass clones that I hear nothing but good things about.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Started playing bass two years ago with a Squier Affinity P-Bass and still plays fine. Id have to agree with what others have said and say its a great beginner instrument. From my experience it wont let you down and has a decent feel to it. The tone is what you can expect from a beginning instrument, not bad but not great.
rondomusic is awful, IMO.

Ibanez GSR200? nicer quality, nicer sound too.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
rondomusic is awful, IMO.

Ibanez GSR200? nicer quality, nicer sound too.

humanity, whats cheaper? GRS200 or affinity P?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by Vampire 255

humanity, whats cheaper? GRS200 or affinity P?

if the man cant round up just 20 bucks...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I Just did some researcher, and the Starter kit for Squier is like 300 bucks, while the GSR is like 290, so whats better? i think im gona get IBANEZ GSR now
My Affinity was a piece of junk, so I got the "miss" but my Vintage Modified is an amazing bass! Save up for one of those, you won't be sorry!
In all honesty you may want to save for awhile or buy some sort of cheap ibanez or something.
i found the entry level yamaha (in the bass faq somewhere) a really good bass to play. it was the second bass i got. and it was pretty damm good value
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
I have a squier affinity p bass and I like it except for 3 thing

1. One of the knobs were loose but fixed that by taking it off and just kept putting it on till I found a spot were it would tighten up.

2. Fret buzz, hopfully changing strings will help.

3. Their does not feel like there is a lot of tension on the strings so when I change strings I am going to try a thicker gauge string.
Quote by destructo29
I have a squier affinity p bass and I like it except for 3 thing

1. One of the knobs were loose but fixed that by taking it off and just kept putting it on till I found a spot were it would tighten up.

2. Fret buzz, hopfully changing strings will help.

3. Their does not feel like there is a lot of tension on the strings so when I change strings I am going to try a thicker gauge string.

1. There's usually a screw in the side of the pots to tighten it if not your method works.

2. A set-up with the inotation, action fixes this (around £15 in most stores)

3. Inotation and action setup should also help this.

Not all basses come standard with these problems and hey, there pretty easy to fix anyway. If you get it from a decent store they 'should' restring it, and set it up when you buy it, if not negociate it with them!
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Save that extra bit for a Vintage Modified and you'll have a bass that you can play for the rest of your days.
Last edited by Arbitror at Nov 15, 2008,
I have an Affinity P and it's a good bass, great for starters
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk