I just starting learning bass and it's been 2 weeks, but for some reason (I just moved from China to UK) I don't have a bass teacher yet, and I couldn't find one in my area. But I've got a self learning book, and I'm memorizing notes now, but I'm still don't know where should I start? Should I just memorize notes and play with the book? Or what? Another thing is I know how to read bass tab but I can't read notes on staff, is that a big problem?
-If I could find you now
-Things would get better
-We could leave this town
-And run forever

-I know somewhere somehow
-We'll be together
-Let your waves crash down
-On me and take me away
Try one of those Instructional DVD's. You can buy them at any Guitar Center or online- like musiciansfriend.com or guitarcenter.com. They have tons of books too with instructional cd's. Or you can go for the free stuff- like lessons on YouTube or lessons right on Ultimate-Guitar. There are a lot of resources out there. If anything you can turn to your peers!
I tought myself guitar mostly, had some help from friends and a few free online lessons, but its working so far
Honestly, learn guitar... You can play bass with learning guitar, but not guitar from learning bass. All the bass is playing is the root note of a chord at a lower octave. Also, reading music staff really isn't that important, tab has overtaken it.
By all means, stick with the book. Learn proper notation as it is taught in the book, and go through the excercises and lessons properly, making sure you have each one completely down by the time you finish the book.

If you get bored with the lessons (it would be amazing if you didn't) pick a few songs that you like and start learning those via tabs. In the long (and even medium) run you want to be able to read proper notation, but there's no shame in using tabs to learn some songs.
You can also start listening to songs you like and trying to figure out the bass lines by ear, or to play songs you like and improvise along with them. These are things all bass players should do and that you can start doing as soon as you pick up a bass.

And ignore mashpotatoes, maybe in his UG world this is true, but by and large most music doesn't work this way. Real bass playing is fundamentally different than guitar playing. Most musician circles will demand you play by ear and a few will demand that you can read sheet music. You don't have to be in these circles, but it certainly helps. And tabs can't replace old school notation--they don't contain the same amount of information and aren't as efficient.

edit* in fact I'll just report that for trolling, which it pretty obviously is in the context of the bass forum

*reported*
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Nov 14, 2008,
thanks everybody, the bad thing is that I don't have internet at home (cos my mom don't allow me to use it, sadly). And I'm using school's and they kinda like block everything I guess I'm gonna stick with the book and maybe buy DVD or something
-If I could find you now
-Things would get better
-We could leave this town
-And run forever

-I know somewhere somehow
-We'll be together
-Let your waves crash down
-On me and take me away
Quote by mashedpotatoes
Honestly, learn guitar... You can play bass with learning guitar, but not guitar from learning bass. All the bass is playing is the root note of a chord at a lower octave. Also, reading music staff really isn't that important, tab has overtaken it.

Wrong. They are two different instruments that require two different approaches. Guitar forum is that way--get thee hither.

Mike is correct. Get a good book like Hal Leonard's or Mel Bay's bass series and work through it. Both will teach you to read music and give you the basis in bass theory, techniques and playing. If you absolutely cannot afford a teacher, see if you can get a few hours with a seasoned bass player or take advantages of workshops in your area. That way you can get someone to evaluate your overall technique and correct any mistakes you may have picked up along the way.
I've been playing for two years and I can't read music. I play all my stuff from tab and write in tab. it's not really a problem unless you're interested in advanced theory, improvisation or jazz. Or writing prog rock stuff. I suggest you build up a little bit of theoretical knowledge. Learn the patterns of major and minor scales, memorize where specific notes are on your fretboard, listen to some music and figure out how the bass fits in with it. The Beatles tend to use a walking bass line (easy to learn, just google it), modern metal bands tend to have the bass follow the rhythm guitar rather than forge its own way, jazz tends to be wtf and most modern rock songs have cool bass lines, and some pretty awesome bass-driven songs.

Some ideas for first songs:

Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes

Save Me - Shinedown

Coma White - Marilyn Manson

Good luck, and keep it low my good brother!
Please do not double post. Edit button is there for a reason.

And one of the things that the TS and you probably need to understand is the more genres you expose yourself to in your playing, the better a bass player you become. As many of the people who play jazz on this forum can attest, playing jazz will definitely bring your playing up to a higher level in both your understanding and timing.

And one more piece of advise for the TS--get a metronome and use it. Consistent timing is equally important in playing bass as playing the right notes.
Hal Leonard Bass Methods get it, also learn scales, chords, triads etc. and how to read sheet music. And to have some fun definitely learn how to slap and pop
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I found that having played guitar (rather badly) for a short time gave me an insight into chord structure. But, as anarkee says two totaly different instruments.

My Wife can always tell when the Bassist in a band is an ex guitarist, they tend to play as if they are still on guitar.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn