I bought a 2nd hand Telecaster that sounds awesome and everything, but it smells like cigarettes. It wouldn't annoy me so much except that after playing, my left hand stinks of cigarettes too.

Any advice? Will the smell go away on it's own?
time should do it. the more you play it too, it will wear of in your hand and then just wash your hand.
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

You should probably quit smoking.

I'm kidding. The smell might go away, but if it's been in the finish too long, you'll be stuck with it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I'd just change the strings, wipe the fretboard down a few times, and keep it out of it's case for a few days. That should help get rid of some of the smell.
Quote by Jarrad100
I'd just change the strings, wipe the fretboard down a few times, and keep it out of it's case for a few days. That should help get rid of some of the smell.

Thanks. I forgot to mention, the case it came with is just as bad. I'm leaving that out in the wind for as long as it takes.
Quote by mmjohn
a little lemon oil on the fretboard?

Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Well that sucks. I would polish the neck really good with some lemon oil or polish. Always wash your hands before playing to prevent any more grime on the guitar. It will go away eventually. Does the case smell??

+1+1 lemon oil... I'd rub a 2nd hand guitar down with that first thing even if it didn't stink, who knows how long it's been since it was oiled? (plus removes bad guitar mojo from previous owner)
^ what he said.

If it's a rosewood fingerboard, then wiping it down with a nice fretboard conditioner would help. If it's maple, wipe it down with a microfiber cloth, and maybe a soft bristle toothbrush to get any harder to remove gunk at the frets.

Go over the body with a simple guitar polish, change the strings, and spray the hell out of the inside of the case with some Febreeze, then let air dry (test spray a corner of the guitar case with some Febreeze to make sure it doesn't negatively affect the interior of the case before spraying the whole thing).
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
As a former smoker, i have not smoked in 10 years, and i smoked for for 13 years. I guarantee you the smell will eventually fade in time. I understand your problem. I cant stand the smell of cigarettes anymore. Just leave it out of the case on a stand.
Yeah, lemon oil for the fretboard.
Fresh lime juice on the neck and body,
Sun it, leave it to dry. Wipe it down with a cloth.
Repeat as many times necessary.
I wouldnt do anything to the guitar to cease the smell. It should go away with time.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Isn't that just cool?!? I would love some old Telecaster that smells like cigarette And I dont even smoke.. I'ts like that vintage feeling, you know..

Just clean that guitar as good as you can, but I think that the smell will never go totally away. Just get used to idea, that your Telecaster will always have that little cigarette smell. You'll get used to it. It's quite hard to get smell out of wood..
My Gear:

-Ibanez SZ 320 (Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz)
-Laney LC 30-II tube combo
-Yamaha C-40
-Suzuki steel string acoustic

+Lots of effect pedals and other crap..
Please stop telling the OP to lemon oil his MAPLE fretboard
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Quote by Hakael
^ what he said.

If it's a rosewood fingerboard, then wiping it down with a nice fretboard conditioner would help. If it's maple, wipe it down with a microfiber cloth, and maybe a soft bristle toothbrush to get any harder to remove gunk at the frets.

Go over the body with a simple guitar polish, change the strings, and spray the hell out of the inside of the case with some Febreeze, then let air dry (test spray a corner of the guitar case with some Febreeze to make sure it doesn't negatively affect the interior of the case before spraying the whole thing).

+1
extremely good advice
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Quote by apollo66
Please stop telling the OP to lemon oil his MAPLE fretboard

OP, is the fretboard maple or rosewood?
Start smoking and you'll never notice the smell again.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by SZ320man
OP, is the fretboard maple or rosewood?

Rosewood. Though the neck itself might be maple.
Quote by BrickIsRed
Rosewood. Though the neck itself might be maple.

Okay then, that's settled. I've always heard that TRUE lemon oil (not pledge, or anything like that) was really good for rosewood fretboards. It also makes things smell like lemons.

Side note: I do kinda agree, the whole old tele smelling like cigarettes is kinda nostalgic, would make me feel like an old grizzled blues player
Quote by Jarrad100

Yes. Just take the strings off and clean the freak out of it and the smell will go away. Also, the instrument will pretty much change color. Same with my grampa's Fender Strat. :]

I actually used Shar violin cleaner. Worked fine.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Last edited by Pretty. Odd. at Nov 14, 2008,
Quote by Barry_C
The previous owner must have been chain smoking/playing.. Nothin worse than old ciggarette smell though, hope you figure it out!

That is a safe assumption! The previous owner probally just smoked in his house and everything in his house stinks.