Page 1 of 3
Ok, so I just read in DonDon69's thread that everyone was saying to stay away from Boss pedals. I heard they were perfectly good. What's wrong with them?
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
They're fine pedals in my experience - I've never seen one malfunction or break, and they do what they say on the tin. They're certainly used by plenty of pros.

However, for each effect, there are companies that make more subtle or "organic"-sounding pedals, and you usually pay for the better quality.
Theres nothing wrong with em. Some Boss pedals offer alot of tweakability and features, like their Phaser and Super Shifter pedals. And all of their pedals are super-durable, and the prices arent bad. But if your looking for top-notch sound quality, especially for overdrives and distortions, they really arent where you wanna look. But for the price, they are actually really good and sometimes really easily moddable pedals.
I own 4 Boss pedals and have not had a problem with any of them. Personally I prefer them. It think they are good quality and worth it for the $$. Everyone has their preferences, and everyone has their own experiences with equipment, good and bad.
As far as durability and construction they are awesome, and I think some of their pedals are great, thier delays pedals are all awesome and are hard to beat, but some of thier ODs and DST pedals do not sound that great compared to others on the market. For the most part these pedals, like the MT2 and DS1 for example, sound very fake compare to the real OD tone of a good tube amp, and any more there are many companys who make pedals that sound very similar a real tube amp OD or Dist.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Basically you get what you pay for, Boss pedals aren't very expensive so you're getting mid ranged quality compared to a more expensive pedal. Boss does make good pedals but you can often get pedals that are quite a bit better if you're willing to spend a little more money. Also their distortions and ODs often don't sound very good, they're typically pretty fake sounding.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
In my experience some of the bypasses suck tone, doesn't seem to be all, but these pedal would benefit from true bypass. They are durable, but then again, so is every other metal case pedal, so that's almost a moot point.

Their modulation effects are ok, specifically the delays aren't too bad for the price. Though, as johnbryant said, their ODs and distortions are not very good at all.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Boss is maybe the most popular brand in the market. They have been producing their designs for decades. So, therefore Boss is obviously an old brand. Time passes and new brands join the game. Some of these build boutique pedals. But some people still prefer boss products. Why? Because they do not know how to explore other brands. But some people hate boss. Why? Because they have discovered better brands.

Some boss models exists too long. Too long that some of them like the ds-1 has been redesign by boss. For some reason they become worse. One reason is because new models are now manufactured in taiwan.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Quote by Mecler

Wow that was fizzy sounding, not to mention it sounded like a TERRIBLE infomercial.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by thsrayas
Wow that was fizzy sounding, not to mention it sounded like a TERRIBLE infomercial.

I think that was the point.
The only bad boss pedals in my opinion are the MT-2. The rest are pretty decent.

THe ds-1 isn't the best, there's alot better for the price. It's not worth getting unless you need somthing cheap and for PRACTICE.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by Kevin Saale
I think that was the point.

I know, I was just saying it was terrible. I really thought Boss would have done better than that.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by thsrayas
I know, I was just saying it was terrible. I really thought Boss would have done better than that.

No, they usually fail like that, lemme find their "metal" demo

I can't find it, suffice it to say, it was horrible.
Dang, I wanna see it now.

Hi, BILLY MAYS here for BOSS GUITAR EFFECTS!!!! DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN GET AN AWESOME METAL SOUND JUST FROM A FEW SIMPLE PEDALS FROM BOSS???!!!!????!!!!???!!! Well now you do, and if you order now, I'll send you a free tub of OXY CLEAN!!! Perfect for ALL those small stains around your house!
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Boss pedals will still be around after a nuclear fallout..... BUT.... the only ones that have decent sound to them are the digital delay and the SD-1 (after being heavily modded of course)..... AND of course... there's the always useful TU-2 tuner

EDIT:

Found the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBoAV9yXM5w
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Boss pedals will still be around after a nuclear fallout..... BUT.... the only ones that have decent sound to them are the digital delay and the SD-1 (after being heavily modded of course)..... AND of course... there's the always useful TU-2 tuner

EDIT:

Found the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBoAV9yXM5w

Yes, the only thing worse than the tone is the guy.
There are a few reasons I have found.

1: The buffers are not exactly the best all the time.
2: Closed minded elitists, they think anything not boutique is below them.
3: Personal opinoin. Everyones' is different, some may like the Boss Phaser better than the MXR Phase 90 because it can off crazier phasing sounds.

I am sure there are more reasons, but these are the first 3 I pulled off the top of my head.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
There are a few reasons I have found.

1: The buffers are not exactly the best all the time.
2: Closed minded elitists, they think anything not boutique is below them.
3: Personal opinoin. Everyones' is different, some may like the Boss Phaser better than the MXR Phase 90 because it can off crazier phasing sounds.

I am sure there are more reasons, but these are the first 3 I pulled off the top of my head.

I think these are the most relevant.
Thanks for everyones input, I was just wondering as I'll be getting the SD-1 and the DS-1 for Christmas, after hearing plenty of demos for them, I decided they were best for my budget. I would love to go for the higher end pedals, but why get one pedal, when you can get two which do the job just as well? (apart from the bypass)
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

^Because they don't do the job as well, that's why, but to each his own.
You can always mod the SD-1 to do exactly what you want as well
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Kevin Saale
^Because they don't do the job as well, that's why, but to each his own.

What would you recommend I get instead of the DS-1 or the SD-1 for the same price range?

Quote by thsrayas
Dang, I wanna see it now.

Hi, BILLY MAYS here for BOSS GUITAR EFFECTS!!!! DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN GET AN AWESOME METAL SOUND JUST FROM A FEW SIMPLE PEDALS FROM BOSS???!!!!????!!!!???!!! Well now you do, and if you order now, I'll send you a free tub of OXY CLEAN!!! Perfect for ALL those small stains around your house!

this is a win
^A used Jekyll & Hyde Distortion/OD, by Visual Sound.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
What kind of styles are we talking?
Quote by sloppyjoe109
^A used Jekyll & Hyde Distortion/OD, by Visual Sound.

I think this proves that it isn't Boss that's the problem, it's the price range. This one new is about £130, whilst the Boss Overdrive Distortion is about £50. So there, if you want a great tone, you've got to spend a lot of money. Just don't become elitist about it all.
So there's nothing wrong with Boss in itself at all, it's just the price range.

Did I put that right?

No, for an overdrive the bad monkey whoops up on anything boss has to offer, and it's only 50 dollars usd.
Quote by Kevin Saale
No, for an overdrive the bad monkey whoops up on anything boss has to offer, and it's only 50 dollars usd.

Ok thanks, I'll have a look into that, I was thinking of getting a digitech one anyway. What do you think of the Grunge and the Hot Head?

The Grunge is terrible, but I've never tried the Hot Head.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by thsrayas
The Grunge is terrible, but I've never tried the Hot Head.

What makes you say that? Is it the tone or what?

My experience on the boss pedals is good and bad.What I mean is,I own the digitech Hot Head dist. and comparing it to the DS-1 or the DS-2 turbo dist.The Hot head blows these pedals away.I also own the Digidelay which I compared with the DD-3.And I can say that they were quite similar but the DD-3 had a few more Milisecs of delay.My point is that the boss pedals are good,reliable but their ODs and Dist. pedals they produce are quite bad and have become old compared to others.That is my opinnion for the Boss pedals.
My pedals:
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah GCB-95
Ibanez Tube Screamer (TS-9)
Digitech Hot Head
MXR Phase 90
Digitech DigiDelay
Quote by archerygenious
What makes you say that? Is it the tone or what?

I just couldn't get a good sound out of it and the Grunge nob didn't seem to do anything. Also the level knob was too touchy, but I think that's just a Digitech thing, I own two Digitech pedals and both of their level knobs are pretty touchy.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
I love boss effects, they're my favorite manufacturer in the midrange series. In a lot of cases, you can't find better deals (my opinion). I love my DS-1, always have, but once I upgraded to tube amps I had no use for it, so I modded it. Sounds amazing now.

The pedals are tough as balls, can have just amazingly amazing sounds and just... I love 'em.

Best advice, though, go to a Guitar Center and just try all their effects.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Thomme
I love boss effects, they're my favorite manufacturer in the midrange series. In a lot of cases, you can't find better deals (my opinion). I love my DS-1, always have, but once I upgraded to tube amps I had no use for it, so I modded it. Sounds amazing now.

The pedals are tough as balls, can have just amazingly amazing sounds and just... I love 'em.

Best advice, though, go to a Guitar Center and just try all their effects.

Like he said, if you're comfortable modding pedals then you can mod them to sound pretty good.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
I've got a Boss chorus and delay, I think their both great pedals, albeit they both eat batteries like hell.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by thsrayas
Like he said, if you're comfortable modding pedals then you can mod them to sound pretty good.

Any "How To" websites on pedal modding?

I should add, I actually really like their Phaser and their Chorus', as well. Their delay seemed a touch on the iffy side for me, I prefer my MIJ Arion SAD-1 for that. The FDR-1 and FBM-1 look rediculously cool, I just don't know how cool they actually are. Their noise supressor works wonders for a friend of mine (I just use planet waves and monster cables and I get a nice, quiet, clean line, he doesn't and their acoustic simulator does a decent job, much better than my Rockman.

I also would like to add: if you get boss pedals, you usually shouldn't go with anything too extravagent or specialized. The metal pedals, I can't stand 'em. The DS-2... kind'a useless. There higher end "stereo delay," I can't remember the model, sounds a bit harsher on the repeat than the base model and the only overdrive of theirs that I really like is the SD-1 (I think that's the model), which you can actually mod into a tubesceamer-esque pedal. Stock, it's got a really good tone for a midrange pedal, but you can bump it up.

If you're looking for an OD right now, though, check out the GC website for the BBE Greenscreamer. They were on sale for $50, and they blow the Monkey and any boss OD out of the water. Supposedly they're better than the Ibanez and Maxon TS-808 reissues, but I can't attest to that.

Quote by archerygenious
Any "How To" websites on pedal modding?

tons. Analog Man, Keeley, Eric Hansen are three names that come to mind instantly. There's a thread on this forum about, "the ultimate DS-1 mod," but I honestly don't like the mod the guy did on here. I did Eric Hansen's minimal mod (2 and 3 mixed together) and get a pretty thick OD/Dist and I can get some cool tones out of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HbNUbGT33A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgFfK8dYfH4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89zdapSXfg4

those are some demos of the modded DS-1 I did. One of them actually compares the non-modded to the modded sound. And in conjuction with the BBE Greenscreamer, I can get just... huge thick overdrive with great crunch out of my Vox. Love it.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Nov 14, 2008,
i'm surprised there aren't more people hating on boss in this thread. i really like their gear. i do agree, however that their distortions aren't very good. some sound so fake and digital it's funny.
i use primarily boss effects, except for a wah pedal, whammy pedal, and rotovibe.

some of their products, like the phaser and flanger they make are very tweakable for many different sounds. then again, some people only like the 1 type of sound, so they'll buy the small stone/phase 90 or some other popular flanger.

i think they make high quality products, other than their distortions.
their delays are great, and one of the most popular delays.
their tuner pedal is also awesome.

i have the tu-2 tuner, ds-1 distortion (only use it sometimes when i want that cheap fuzzy digital distortion sound), ph-3 phase shifter (many great sounds), bf-3 flanger (took some tweaking but i go 2 awesome flange sounds), tr-2 tremlo (simple, easy to use tremolo), and i'm going to get the dd-7 digital delay.

boss is a good company, they're just hated by some people for some of their not so great pedals
Quote by l3p4rd
THe ds-1 isn't the best, there's alot better for the price. It's not worth getting unless you need somthing cheap and for PRACTICE.

or as a kind of a gritty sounding boost in an overdriven tube amp - it is great for doing that without modifying tone too much.

you see, boss generally make intentionally bland, transparent, colourless sounding pedals that basically are meant to act as a way of simply enhancing an already good tone, and provided you know how to use a pedal to do that, you can get them to work great.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Page 1 of 3