Is it possible to wire the pickups directly to the input jack on a bass with out having to run it in series through pots? My volume pot died (500k) and I'm pissed. It is on a p bass so the wiring isn't too complex, but in theory could i just run the pick up leads and ground lead to the 1/4 input jack with no pots at all ( I realize that the volume and tone would ALWAYS be on max if i did)? Would I still need the cap in the circuit since there technically there are no potentiometers anymore? Thanks for you consideration.
Last edited by Pizza The Hut at Nov 14, 2008,
i dont see y u couldnt do it, but y do u want to get rid of ur pots?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Just buy a new pot, it'll be easier than ripping everything out and wiring it up to the jack

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
I've done it to mine. It makes your bass ALOT louder, which can mean It distorts (eg: when I play through a big amp I usually have the pre-gain set to 0, and plug it into the "active" socket and it can still sometimes distort if you play hard enough)

If you want to get rid of the knobs on a buget I would probably say you should replace the volume pot with a resistor of a similar value (and remove the tone knob),

If you can't be bothered buying any new parts you could wire the tone pot as a new volume one but bear in mind the pot is probably not audio taper.it will still work but it won't give you a smooth gradient in volume as you turn the dial.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Nov 14, 2008,
If you always use your volume at full you could just put a switch in...it's not to hard to find one around the house, like in a broken kid's toy or something. I'd recommend getting an actual pot, though.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by jimRH7
I've done it to mine. It makes your bass ALOT louder, which can mean It distorts (eg: when I play through a big amp I usually have the pre-gain set to 0, and plug it into the "active" socket and it can still sometimes distort if you play hard enough)

If you want to get rid of the knobs on a buget I would probably say you should replace the volume pot with a resistor of a similar value (and remove the tone knob),

If you can't be bothered buying any new parts you could wire the tone pot as a new volume one but bear in mind the pot is probably not audio taper.it will still work but it won't give you a smooth gradient in volume as you turn the dial.

O.K. so if i just decided to wire straight to the input jack and not use pots i would still need a resistor?

My tone and volume are always dimed anyway so i figure why wait and pay money for a new pot when i can just fix it right now.
To be honest, a good pot costs £3-5. For the ability to control your volume on your bass, it's well spent pocket change.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
^+1. A good one, like a CTS won't cost the earth, and will last forever, sounding good all the way.

If you want to wire it straight thro' (like Nic Oliveri) you won't need any caps or resistors, 'cos they're only there to bleed off some treble as you roll the volume down.

Hotwiring is a hoot tho'. As long as you don't intend to play quietly
Quote by Pizza The Hut
O.K. so if i just decided to wire straight to the input jack and not use pots i would still need a resistor?

My tone and volume are always dimed anyway so i figure why wait and pay money for a new pot when i can just fix it right now.

well, What I actually did to mine was replace the volume knob with a 3 way switch that gives me off, wired straight to the jack, and wired straight to the jack with a capacitor bleeding to ground, but the third setting is just mud anyway and I never use it.

If you want it to be louder, You just use a higer value resistor - wireing straight to the jack is electronically the same as having a resistor value of infinity, whereas tieing the two wires together is like having a resistor value of 0.

to answer your question, no. the resistor is not neccecary. I was just suggesting it to stop the sound distorting like it can do on my bass.

Quote by gm jack
To be honest, a good pot costs £3-5. For the ability to control your volume on your bass, it's well spent pocket change.

well, i actually found it easier once I removed my electronics - having just eg: the equaliser on the amp to control the tone makes things alot simpler, It gives you a better understanding of knobs you need to turn etc. to get a good sound rather than just turning rakes of knobs at random and getting nowhere.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Nov 15, 2008,