This song has a bit of C&W feel to it and the lyric was inspired by the parable Jesus recounted of the prodigal son. This is the one where the young man takes his inheritance in cash and goes off to the city where he squanders it in riotous living. When he finally comes to his senses he decides to go back home to receive an warm welcome from a family who have missed
him so much.

I wanted to see if i could tell the same story and re-tell it in a modern day setting. Taking a little bit of artistic license the prodigal in my song comes from Oaklahoma.
Apologies if i got the geography wrong but I'm sure i read somewhere that Oaklhoma is in the mid western and part of the great plains. In any case the name of the state has a homophonus sound with the word 'home' which fitted the song nicely.

I often wondered if I should have added a verse to reflect on the time the prodigal spent wallowing in the pig swill, but I decided in the end to leave that to the listeners imagination. The focus of the song is the home coming and the welcome the young man receives from friends and family and the deeper underlying meaning of the man or woman who has strayed away from God and comes back repentant into the arms of the loving Father's who has been watching daily for His return

TAKE ME BACK

Take me back to Oaklahoma
To the place where I was born
To that ranch out in the prairie
Amid those golden plains of corn
There the folks will still be waiting
Though I've wandered far away
Like the prodigal returning
Who's seen the error of his ways

I'm going back to where my heart is
Out in those wild and carefree plains
Where there'll always be a welcome
When a wanderer returns

Take me back to lonesome valley
To the place where I was born
Beside a cross up on a hillside
Where the Saviour hung forlorn
Yes I know He'll still be waiting
Though I've wandered far away
His open arms extend a welcome
To the sheep that went astray

I'm going back to where my heart feels
At peace and one with God
I'll tread again those age old pathways
As when at first I knew the Lord

I'm going back to where my heart feels
At peace and one with God
And I'll know that sweet communion
I'll know that sweet communion

Check out musical version on profile or
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7060392
Hi SeeEmilyPlay
music is either via the user profile/mp3s or by clicking on the soundclick link at the foot of the post
Al
The lyrics are great, alot of religious themes in their which are often present in country music and generally very well written. The music was very good but i'm not 100% your voice really suits country music.