OK So i own an old Marshall Valvestate 40V, and the pots are shot. any time i try and move the gain on the lead channel or the eq knobs, it makes some horrible crackling noises. My first thought is that the pots are old and need to be replaced. so.

1st) how would i go about replacing said pots?

2nd) would it be better to pay someone professionally to go over it?

3rd) if neither of those options are good, should i get a new amp? (bedroom practice level- playing rock to metal)

4th) if my marshall is all fixed... i'm considering getting one of the nicer line 6 PODs.

So, any help, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
1. Try cleaning them with some compressed air first, it could just be some dust in the pots. If that doesn't work then you'll have to find out what value the pots are as well as what type and buy pots to match it. Then you'll have to de-solder the pots and solder the new ones, it's easy if you've already done soldering. Even if you haven't I would recommend it, it's pretty easy and it will save you a lot of money in repairs like this one.

2. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself you could just take it to a pro, but it's probably going to cost more than the cost of the soldering iron and some solder.

3. Don't get a new amp if you're still happy with your current one, just save some money for when you do want a new one (because you will, I guarantee it).

4. The PODs are nice but just remember that your amp is going to color the tone that the POD puts out so it's going to sound differently with headphones and recording than it will through your Valvestate.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Soldering isn't a problem for me, i've done plenty of electronics before, just never had to deal with pots. To clean the pots though, would I have to disassemble the amp? Also, wouldn't the amp "color" the tone less if the amp eq were set to something nuetral, like mid for bass mid and treble?
It depends on your amp and how exposed the pots are, you could try from the front just to see if it fixes it, I've had a couple cases where it did. If it doesn't you should still try cleaning them even if you have to disassemble the amp since it will save you time and money, plus your amp will already be disassembled so you can figure out which pots you need.

Even if you have the EQ neutral it's still going to color the tone because the pre amp and speaker add their own tone to it.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Thanks a bunch, i'll try my best to not fry the amp any more than it is...