ok, so my guitarist is kinda strange. whenever we play, he always tells me to turn my bass down, yet he always advocates being able to hear the bass. the problem is, whenever i turn it down, then i cant hear myself. maybe he can hear it, but i cant, and in reality, i think its more important to be able to hear your own instrument than it is for somebody else to hear it.
anyways, he's the kind of guy who is more stubborn than your great uncle and never gives up an argument. i'm the same way, and we argue a lot, even if it is good natured. but i'll at least admit (occasionaly) when i'm wrong. so any help would be nice.
thanks in advance
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
were are you located in the room because bass caries far as hi tones dont so if he is across the room or so he can probly hear it alot better and you shuld distance yourself from the amp and on the stuborn part u shuld tell him to not be a prick lol
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
get ear plugs and youll hear it.

in my last band when i played bass our drumer said to turn down the bass amp.
so i ran it in to the PA system to make it louder and so he got in in his monitors also. jack ass.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
why would you hear it with plugs?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
move your amps around
I sat next to a nun on the bus once, she said hi

Twitter: @Pikey_P - wise words right there.
Quote by restless_thrash
bass frequencies carry better. you ever walked past a nightclub and heart that muted wall of noise?

ding ding ding... we got a winner!
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Well it's a thing with guitarists (i'm one so dont slate me on this), but it's because we have more strings than you, we need to be heard more...nah i don't know why, but most guitarists do just want to hear themselves.
Quote by selkies
were are you located in the room because bass caries far as hi tones dont so if he is across the room or so he can probly hear it alot better and you shuld distance yourself from the amp and on the stuborn part u shuld tell him to not be a prick lol

he's actually closer to the amp than i am, so that might be it. but it also means he also has more control than me over the levels
anyways, i'll try it out this sunday
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by skankinallthewa
Well it's a thing with guitarists (i'm one so dont slate me on this), but it's because we have more strings than you, we need to be heard more...nah i don't know why, but most guitarists do just want to hear themselves.

ALL players wanna hear themself (I can't remember meeting some who doesn't like to hear what he's playing... wait... there was that kid in my previous band... but he couldn't play shit !)
^

very true though

again, everybody, thanks for your help. i'll definitely try these suggestions this sunday.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
I have had this problem too. It's just because of the rooms weird acoustics. You'll have to move the amps around to find the best results. I try to make sure mostly me and the drummer hear the bass, since those two need to lock in together. The guitarist can do whatever he wants.
Is everyone set up with similar equiptment. I had the same problem but my amp was way louder. you need to move equiptmet arount to something better suited to the room.
I've just left a band because of this issue.

I'm not sure about your situation, and you should be able to hear yourself, but if your single notes on the bass sound as loud as a chord on a guitar... then your bass is way too loud.

It's as simple as that., If this isn't your problem, and it's just about being able to hear yourself, then go with the earplug idea.
maybe you need a more cutting tone
add some mids to the EQ or if your strings are dead then the sound does not cut trough the mix very easy
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
So your guitarist doesn't want to hear bass? You have some options: say **** you and keep it loud anyway, pretend to turn it down and he presumably will think it sounds better when its actually the same, or not play and see what he thinks of that.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
i've gotten rid of a guitarist because of that ( and a mountain of other reasons) but try the ear plugs and move your amp a little. but if it's the case of the guitarist being... well a guitarist (lol) then you have and issue that goes beyond equipment. band meeting time >.<
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Boss pedals drain power like a girlfriend drains your bank account.

GEAR:
4 string warwick corvette $$ BO

acustic 200 head & 410 cab