This might sound dumb but was just wondering...... Could you make a humbucking pickup by just glueing two single coils togeather? Would it create the same effect or does it have to be connected internally via wiring inside the pickup case?
the idea of a humbucker is that the coils are wound in opposite directions to cancel the 60-cycle hum. better off just using a humbucker.
------

Shwiggity.
I'm not sure on the exact details, but as far as i know, it's not a great idea. There was someone who mounted it upside down (poles pointing into the guitar), but even that didn't do much.
------

Shwiggity.
Even if you turned one around the coils would still be wound in the same direction. I guess you could try flipping it upside down though, if you're really that set on it...

EDIT: Ignore second option, read above post.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
This might sound dumb but was just wondering...... Could you make a humbucking pickup by just glueing two single coils togeather? Would it create the same effect or does it have to be connected internally via wiring inside the pickup case?
glueing? lol, no. just mount them right next to each other.

as long as one of them is Reverse Wound Reverse Polarity, they will hum-cancel when both are on. this is what causes the hum-canceling, not the fact that they are right next to each other.

you have to wire them in series, though if you want them to sound closer to the way a HB sounds.

Quote by Pizza The Hut
Oh. What if you just fliped one of the singles around?
if they have bar magnets, just flip one of the magnets over and switch the two wires from that pickup. for instance: if white was the hot and black was the ground, now black will now be the hot.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.