---------------------------------------------------------
----3----3----4------------------------------------------
-2--1----1----2---5---3---3-------5---5--3--3------------
-1----------------4---3---2-------5---4--3--2------------
----1----2----3---5-------3------------------------------
-1--------------------3-----------5---4--3--2------------
What scale(s) could i play/improvise over this piece? I am trying to understand what certain scales would be picked over others and why so any advise will help. Also, if you can name the chords that would be nice.
Last edited by Doc Smiley at Nov 14, 2008,
I'm sorry that I have to tell you, but there isn't a scale to improvise over these chords.
The only thing you can do is, to seperate the chords. So for example just look at one bar and find out which scale would fit.
For example you can play the half-tone-scales over the first 4 chords.
The look at the next bar and do the same.

It's quite difficult to improvise though, because you have to bear in mind that you have to change scales every bar.

fixed
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Quote by victoryaloy

fixed

TS ur already out of the scale at the 3rd or 4th chord. You need to learn about what those chords are and what scales u can play over each chord. Then it's up to ur creativeness to string the ideas together in a musically interesting way.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
This is why i posted on this forum is to find out what scale to play over and what chords they are...? Not to have people tell me to go figure them out because they have no idea what the hell they are talking about.
Quote by Doc Smiley
This is why i posted on this forum is to find out what scale to play over and what chords they are...? Not to have people tell me to go figure them out because they have no idea what the hell they are talking about.

Ur right, my apologies. I thought u meant which scale you could use for the entire piece. I just wanted to say u need more scales. You should learn how intervals works. Find a lesson somewhere on intervals. Do u know modes? Basic major scale?

Also I can name the chords for u in order from left to right :

F7, A7, B6, C6, D7, Gm7, C7, Am7, Ab7, Gm7, F#7

These are their respective chords, without a 5th interval.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 14, 2008,
Jazz is complex, and it takes a lot more to improvise over a progression like that than a post on a message board. Start by studying the theory sticky and the Crusades articles (hosted on this site).
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Ur right, my apologies. I thought u meant which scale you could use for the entire piece. I just wanted to say u need more scales. You should learn how intervals works. Find a lesson somewhere on intervals. Do u know modes? Basic major scale?

Also I can name the chords for u in order from left to right :

F7, A7, B6, C6, D7, Gm7, C7, Am7, Ab7, Gm7, F#7

These are their respective chords, without a 5th interval.

Thank you very much. I didn't mean to come off rude but I have an idea. I know my modes and the basic major scales. Could F Dorian work over this?
Quote by Doc Smiley
Thank you very much. I didn't mean to come off rude but I have an idea. I know my modes and the basic major scales. Could F Dorian work over this?

Well to keep it simple, you can use mixolydian over all the 7th chords and Dorian over all the 6th chords and minor 7th chords, but it's best to learn intervals and understand how to follow the chords. Go with with what archeo said 2 posts up.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Doc Smiley

There is nothing to suggest F dorian.
Again: Not to come of as rude, but this progression is beyond your understanding. You need to start with the basics and study the theory and the Crusades articles. If you insist on soloing over the progression anyway, ignore modes and focus on the chord tones.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.