Page 1 of 2
Years ago when i first started playing guitar i never payed any attention to picks. I just used whatever. But through the years i have noticed picks make a huge difference in tone. I only use 2 diffrent kinds now. Red Dunlop Jazz 3's, and Dunlop Gator Grip 1.5mm. I was just thinking the pick is a very important and overlooked peice of gear. And i was wondering what other people prefer?
jazz III's exclusively. nothing else. if i cant find one, i'll use my fingers. i'm just that much of a bitch about it. i've even stolen my friends's when he isnt looking.
then he's all 'where the f*ck did my pick go?!??!?!
its funny has hell
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
I use 1mm tortex for lead and thinner .70mm for strumming accoustic. I mostly want them to last long. Sometimes I sharpen the point about 50% for harder attack when sweeping etc.
.88mm green tortex is the way to go for me.
gear

Epiphone SG-400
Agile AL-3100
Schecter Damien-7 (EMG 707 swap)
Peavey JSX Head
Peavey 412 Cab
Boss GT-10
Yamaha FG720S Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Big Stubbies 2mm.

It's like they're moulded to my fingers.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm, the ones kinda shaped like a tear drop, they're perfect for me.
I do think it's a small detail that is often overlooked. When I started playing I used mediums- because that's just what I was able to get from friends at the time. I found that I really liked Thins a lot better. They strike the strings different and I like the way they feel more than mediums. I do a lot of finger-picking so they feel close to almost just using my fingers. Now I use these in Thins:

Tortex for me. Ive always used them and always will.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
I used to play dunlop nylon standards, which have a much better grip than the gators imo

then I discovered the jazz III...game over
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
I like whatever, mainly medium because thins slap against the strings too much. Dunlops and fenders.
red dunlop Jazz III's for bass

dunlop M3's (the little green jazz III sized tortex ones) for guitar

i'm really happy since I discovered the M3... size of a Jazz, texture and tone of a tortex...

out of here
Last edited by inflatablefilth at Nov 14, 2008,
I find the difference negligible unless I go from a pick to a coin or my hands, so I use whatever is handy.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I use the purple tortex as of lately. . . . more control. . . . the guy from black dahlia murder uses them too. . . . I have a black dahlia pick from way back when.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
2mm gator grips
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by Random3
fender picks. i think they're about 0.7mm?

You like Fender picks? Which ones? I tried the California Clears:

and I didn't like them. I snapped the tip off a few so it kinda turned me off to the Fender brand for picks. Still their guitars though
Quote by necrosis1193
I find the difference negligible unless I go from a pick to a coin or my hands, so I use whatever is handy.

seriously?

you don't feel/hear the difference between different sized/shaped picks?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
seriously?

you don't feel/hear the difference between different sized/shaped picks?

Feel; Only when I go from a thin or small one to a thick or big one or, like I said, pick to coin or hand.

Hear; Not really. I guess there's a slight difference, but I've barely ever noticed it, so I just grab what's closest. Then again, it may just be my crap amp not giving me proper sound.

Gator Grip 1.5mm
Everything else feels like paper to me.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by necrosis1193

Thats incredible! Is your amp a cardboard box?
Quote by IPlaySchecter
Thats incredible! Is your amp a cardboard box?

Nope. Cardboard box, with a speaker. Like I said though, odds are it's my crap amp and once I get a tube amp in a few weeks I'll be a hell of a lot more selective.

I discovered the Jazz III's from my guitar teacher thankfully only about 6 months into my playing and I absolutely refuse to use any other kind of pick since. If I can't use a Jazz III, I'd just rather not play then deal with the frustration and lack of satisfaction of having to use another pick. XD I've actually been playing with the same one for about a year now and I bought like 10 for the next decade of my playing. And I love how incredibly cheap they are too! They cost just as much as any old pick but they last literally 50+ times as long. I've worn new picks down within a week or even a couple days but this has lasted me for a year straight of daily playing for at least an hour or more and it still hasn't worn down to the point where I can't use it.

I actually have a question about these though: My guitar teacher gave me the first one I had and when I went to buy more I didn't realize the the edge of the pick is rounded because I wasn't really looking at them, I was just grabbing a handful with excitement (Maybe a little too much excitement...), then I bought them, went home and played with it and realized that it's not pointy like the one I own and I didn't like that. So getting back to my question, do they actually make different kinds of them (Pointy ones and rounded ones?) or did my guitar teacher just "break it in" before he gave it to me?
Quote by Øttər
The MG isn't an amplifier, it's a box filled with angry, angry bees.

XD

The junk in my trunk:
Guitar: Dean Vendetta 1
Amp: 15W Line 6 Spider III amp
Effects Gear: Boss Metal Zone MT-2 Distortion Pedal.

Next Guitar: LTD M-1000
Quote by IPlaySchecter
the jazz are somewhat pointy, more pointy that the gator grips.

But do they make different kinds of them because the ones I bought were extremely duller than the one I actually use
Quote by Øttər
The MG isn't an amplifier, it's a box filled with angry, angry bees.

XD

The junk in my trunk:
Guitar: Dean Vendetta 1
Amp: 15W Line 6 Spider III amp
Effects Gear: Boss Metal Zone MT-2 Distortion Pedal.

Next Guitar: LTD M-1000
3mm Big Stubby.Really thick, really comfortable, Great grip and great tone. Everything you need
.73mm to 1mm tortex. I used to use the fender med. california clears, but the tone and feel from the tortex blows the fender picks away.
Quote by inflatablefilth
red dunlop Jazz III's for bass

dunlop M3's (the little green jazz III sized tortex ones) for guitar

i'm really happy since I discovered the M3... size of a Jazz, texture and tone of a tortex...

I'm quite mad I still couldn't find one of those...

I switch between the Pitch Black Tortex Jazz III and the Nylon Jazz IIIs.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I go back and forth between dunlop gator grips 1.5 and 2mm picks. It's a feel thing as to which I prefer. On the 2mm ones, I take a razor and essentially give the pick serrated edge, gives the sound a lot more bite.

I tried using Jazz III's once, and they play great for soloing, but I can't play rhythm with them.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Jazz III's FTW. I prefer the red ones, but the black ones are good too.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Now when people say "Congratulations, I heard you just had a baby" you can say "Thanks! It was delicious."

/#1 reason for having a kid.

PSN: YosemiteSam13
Quote by -Blue-
Orange tortex. I used to use fender mediums, but now they feel too thick. I kind of want to try jazz IIIs, though, just to see what's so great about them.

well, if you think the fender mediums are too thick, You may not like jazz 3's. You should try them though, they are great.
I'm in a bit of a pickle when it comes to picks. After reading a thread on here about picks, I decided to pick up a jazzIII and give it a try. I got the black one. I really love it, but it often slips in my hand when I am playing. But now, if I pick up a regular Fender pick, I feel like I am holding a dinner plate.

Anyone know how to solve this slippery situation?
I use Fender Mediums. Not 'cause I think they're the best pick of all, that's just what I usually grab from the bin. I believe you'll have more control over tone by not the pick you're using but where you're picking the notes. For example I love my neck pickup. You'll get a different sound picking btwn the neck pickup and neck then you'll get picking at the bridge. Just experiment, it's all in good fun (unless you play bad, then that's your fault not the guitars)!
Guitar: '83 Fender American Stratocaster
Amp: '67 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: TS808 clone, SHO boost, MXR+ distortion
Quote by Grawgos
I'm in a bit of a pickle when it comes to picks. After reading a thread on here about picks, I decided to pick up a jazzIII and give it a try. I got the black one. I really love it, but it often slips in my hand when I am playing. But now, if I pick up a regular Fender pick, I feel like I am holding a dinner plate.

Try crosshatching the sides of the pick with a knife. Should add a little more grip without sacrificing anything.
Quote by Grawgos

i find the red jazz 3's have better grip because there is more raised lettering on them. And simply throw the fender picks in the trash where they belong.
I use Jazz III Black XL's, I liked the red jazz III but it kept falling out of my hand, the XL has more to hold onto
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Page 1 of 2