Ok so I have been playing guitar by ear for as long as i can remember and just played by "feel".I never really thought Id want to take it any further than that but lately I have been so bored with music and guitar that I decided to learn some theory and figured, here is the best place to figure out some things.I already know pentatonic scales and a few major chords by name and i know how to play diads and triads as far as fretting them and everything...my question is though is this:

Ok i have been learning to play in different keys ! I play alot of rock and punk stuff and use a tone of diads and triads but I really would like to learn how to play these diads and triads in a key so that i can write different riffs that will actuall flow better and sound right in theory !

example: Key of C major : C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C - those are the notes in C maj.
Now I was reading up on the different keys and the circle of fifths and when applied correctly it tells me the key of C maj is NOT C D E F G A B C, its simply the notes in the key that you will use to build the chords for the actually key !!!

example : The key of C major chords are

C MAJ, D MINOR , E MINOR, F MAJ, G MAJ, A MINOR, B DIMINISHED

So now that i know which chords are in the key of C here is where i am totally lost ! say i would like to figure out how green day or say alkaline trio...how did they put together that riff of diads or triads??? how would i turn these chords into a riff made up of these diads or triads? i dont understand how that would work? anyone that can help would be greatly appreciated...please explain in simple terms, i am not great with theory as i said.

my main question is, how do i play diads and triads in key to make riffs and write songs? how do they fit into say the key of C when the example is all maj, and minor, and dimished...how would i do this?
well I imagine the Diads you are talking about are power "chords". Then all you do is play the power chord version of the chords in your progression. You don't have to worry about it being major or minor because power chords leave out the third which decides if it is major or minor.

EDIT: Ohh yeah let me know if that is any where close to your answer.
Quote by RocknRollRay
If you make a clone of yourself, then have sex with yourself,

Is it incest or masturbation?
Quote by wtf290
It's not incest, but it's not masturbation.
It'd be closer to incest than masturbation, but I don't think there's a word for it.
Quote by ScottElwood
Incesturbation?
Take the tones from C major (C, D, E, F, G, A, B) in order, and the chords go

Major, Minor, Minor, Major, Major, Minor, Diminished

so the first one is C major, then D minor, E minor, etc
Quote by Rocknroller309
well I imagine the Diads you are talking about are power "chords". Then all you do is play the power chord version of the chords in your progression. You don't have to worry about it being major or minor because power chords leave out the third which decides if it is major or minor.

EDIT: Ohh yeah let me know if that is any where close to your answer.

Unless he wants to make diads of the root and the 3th, which would basically be harmonizing the Cmajor scales in thirds.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
better yet

C Maj C D E F G A B

first chord C = C E G which is major
second chord D = D F A which would be minor
next E = E G B which is minor
etc...

Fixed..
thanks
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Last edited by victoryaloy at Nov 14, 2008,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Unless he wants to make diads of the root and the 3th, which would basically be harmonizing the Cmajor scales in thirds.

That is true. I can't believe I didn't put that in my response for I use those quite often.
Quote by RocknRollRay

Quote by wtf290
It'd be closer to incest than masturbation, but I don't think there's a word for it.
Quote by ScottElwood
Incesturbation?
Quote by Rocknroller309
That is true. I can't believe I didn't put that in my response for I use those quite often.

Ah it's usually the simple stuff in life that you forget

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Ah it's usually the simple stuff in life that you forget

Yep, but thank you for posting it because that is a good point
Quote by RocknRollRay

Quote by wtf290
Quote by ScottElwood
Incesturbation?
So i think rocknroller309 is on the same page here ....ok you say that i do NOT have to worry if the chords are maj or minor because diads (two finger power chords) leave out the third that determins if its major or minor ! ok cool i understand that NOW....but now say i was writing a riff using these diads and i wanted to play in the key of C ...

would i simply play the C D E F G A B C as two finger power chords instead of tones since i dont have to worry about majors or minors due to dropping them off to play them as diads?

example: i can play C5 E5 B5 and that still be right in the key of C due to not having to worry about major or minor?

let me know if im following you correctly, seems like a good idea from what youve all explained...im kind of understanding things a bit more now i think....?
Quote by kutupangelsx5
So i think rocknroller309 is on the same page here ....ok you say that i do NOT have to worry if the chords are maj or minor because diads (two finger power chords) leave out the third that determins if its major or minor ! ok cool i understand that NOW....but now say i was writing a riff using these diads and i wanted to play in the key of C ...

would i simply play the C D E F G A B C as two finger power chords instead of tones since i dont have to worry about majors or minors due to dropping them off to play them as diads?

example: i can play C5 E5 B5 and that still be right in the key of C due to not having to worry about major or minor?

let me know if im following you correctly, seems like a good idea from what youve all explained...im kind of understanding things a bit more now i think....?

you can for all the chords EXCEPT the B chord. In the key of C this is a diminished chord and has a b5 note instead of normal 5th.

Also know that Diad chords just mean 2 note chords. The intervals don't matter, and they are actually no chords, cause in Theory a chord is a chord when it has at least 3 notes (triad).

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Ok so Im still kind of confused here ! if anyone can break down what you all said in an easier explanation that would be awesome !

All i want to know is this....Ok im sitting down to write a quick riff kind of punk style or simply rock style and i would like the sound kind of raspy and punchy with simple diad progressions like for example

play : A5 then to c5 then to G5.... now i would also like to stay in the key of C just as an example :

C D E F G A B C

I read a bunch about using the pattern to figure out which chords go in this key Major, minor and dim chords....and why.....so i do NOT need more help with that part of guitar playing..

Its much more simple than that....All i would like to know is since there is NO MINOR OR MAJOR in a diad since a diad is NOT a chord and merely a root note and a 5th how would i play in the key of C ?

would i simply play C D E F G A B C as diads ?? example: C5,D5,E5,F5,G5,A5,B5,C5 and that would be in the key of C? as diads and not worry like everyone was sayin about the minor or major? any help would be great, as i said i dont know a ton about music theory, i know some chords, a hand full of scales and thats not what im interested in here....
Haven't u read my last post?

U can use power chords on every scale tone of C except B cause it has a flat 5 (b5)
If u do play a B power chord in there. You go out of the scale by 1 note.

You can use powerchord (diad): C5, D5, E5, F5, G5 and A5... But NO B!! And U will be perfectly fine in the CMajor scale.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 14, 2008,
Quote by kutupangelsx5
Ok so I have been playing guitar by ear for as long as i can remember and just played by "feel".I never really thought Id want to take it any further than that but lately I have been so bored with music and guitar that I decided to learn some theory and figured, here is the best place to figure out some things.I already know pentatonic scales and a few major chords by name and i know how to play diads and triads as far as fretting them and everything...my question is though is this:

Ok i have been learning to play in different keys ! I play alot of rock and punk stuff and use a tone of diads and triads but I really would like to learn how to play these diads and triads in a key so that i can write different riffs that will actuall flow better and sound right in theory !

example: Key of C major : C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C - those are the notes in C maj.
Now I was reading up on the different keys and the circle of fifths and when applied correctly it tells me the key of C maj is NOT C D E F G A B C, its simply the notes in the key that you will use to build the chords for the actually key !!!

example : The key of C major chords are

C MAJ, D MINOR , E MINOR, F MAJ, G MAJ, A MINOR, B DIMINISHED

So now that i know which chords are in the key of C here is where i am totally lost ! say i would like to figure out how green day or say alkaline trio...how did they put together that riff of diads or triads??? how would i turn these chords into a riff made up of these diads or triads? i dont understand how that would work? anyone that can help would be greatly appreciated...please explain in simple terms, i am not great with theory as i said.

my main question is, how do i play diads and triads in key to make riffs and write songs? how do they fit into say the key of C when the example is all maj, and minor, and dimished...how would i do this?

Just play the chords, it really isn't any more complicated than that - but rather than play the whole chord just play 2 notes for a diad, or three notes for a diad. Take the full 6 string barre chord shape for the chord but just play the D, G and B strings for triads, or just the D and G strings for diads.

Ultimately which intervals you use is up to you, but arguably thirds are the most interesting ones to use....2nds 6ths and 7ths are just odd, 5ths and 4ths and you're basically just playing power chords. For triads play the third and 5th.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 14, 2008,
Oops sorry NO i didnt read your last post..im on a diff computer and it scrolls weird as hell ! sorry bout that lol.

anyways thats awesome ! thats exactly what i wanted to know....ne more quick one,
so say i want to play the B power chord and now you said its B b5th not a normal 5th. would you say to just skip the B power chord and leave it out or is there a way to play that as a power chord? or just play the dim and when playing diads kind of skip it?

also what about other keys say the key of E Major

example: the notes would be E ,F#,G#,A,B,C#,D# E

Now played in diads .... would it be the same thing ? like for example how would i play the F# as a diad? and so on and so on? would the F# be played as

e-
b-
g-
d-
a- 4
e - 2

would this be correct playing the F # as a diad? or how would i go about this? thanks btw for all the help im a huge pain in the ass...i dont mean to be,i just havent played with any theory and now its coming in handy the more i know...i just need things simple so that i can understand fully.
Quote by kutupangelsx5
Oops sorry NO i didnt read your last post..im on a diff computer and it scrolls weird as hell ! sorry bout that lol.

anyways thats awesome ! thats exactly what i wanted to know....ne more quick one,
so say i want to play the B power chord and now you said its B b5th not a normal 5th. would you say to just skip the B power chord and leave it out or is there a way to play that as a power chord? or just play the dim and when playing diads kind of skip it?

also what about other keys say the key of E Major

example: the notes would be E ,F#,G#,A,B,C#,D# E

Now played in diads .... would it be the same thing ? like for example how would i play the F# as a diad? and so on and so on? would the F# be played as

e-
b-
g-
d-
a- 4
e - 2

would this be correct playing the F # as a diad? or how would i go about this? thanks btw for all the help im a huge pain in the ass...i dont mean to be,i just havent played with any theory and now its coming in handy the more i know...i just need things simple so that i can understand fully.

Yes you could play the B diminished chord. You could play a B5 chord, but technically it won't be in the C major scale.

As for the Emajor thing. It's exactly the same. Just remember the last chord built in a major scale (the 1 before E major which is D# in this case) Is always diminished.

And yes u would play an F# diad like that.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Chords of C major.
   Em  F   G   Am  Bdim C   Dm
E|-0---1---1---5---7----8---10
B|-0---1---1---5---7----8---10
G|-0---2---4---5---7----9---10
D|-2---3---5---7---9----10--12
A|-2---3---5---7---8----10--12
E|-0---1---3---5---7----8---10

as diads using thirds....
E|----------------------------
B|----------------------------
A|---------------------------

as triads...
B|-0---1---1---5---7----8---10
A|----------------------------

as power chords, the octave on the D string is optional...
B|----------------------------
G|----------------------------
A|-2---3---5---7---8----10--12
E|-0---1---3---5---7----8---10

See? It's all the same chords, just not using all the notes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Yep thank you Mr. Seagull
Quote by RocknRollRay

Quote by wtf290
Quote by ScottElwood
Incesturbation?
I'd also point out, it's VERY handy to be able to play those (at least the 3rds and
triads) in position, not just going up the neck (as steven has shown). ie, go up and
down the scale diatonically in 3rds and triads as if you were playing a single note scale
in position. Especially if you want to do some interesting riffs with them. It's also
incredibly helpful to see those for soloing as well.
Quote by edg
I'd also point out, it's VERY handy to be able to play those (at least the 3rds and
triads) in position, not just going up the neck (as steven has shown). ie, go up and
down the scale diatonically in 3rds and triads as if you were playing a single note scale
in position. Especially if you want to do some interesting riffs with them. It's also
incredibly helpful to see those for soloing as well.

+1

I was just pointing out the easiest examples, but like edg said you should learn to recognise the sound of those intervals and look to discover all the other places they can be played.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc