So basically i have around $400-450au which would equate to around $260-290us to spend on my first guitar im pretty much a complete beginner ive been looking into starter packs but i hear there a waste of time and they have little resale value?

So as a result ive been looking at the ibanez gax30, pacifica 112 or the lp special II could anyone offer any insight as to which avenue to go down or mention any other model worth looking at, as for the amp im looking at getting a roland micro cube i hear they are good starter amps. In terms of music id eventually like to start playing on it, it would be more along the lines of sleaze rock and thrash metal, cheers.
Roland micro cube is a good idea.

And on the guitars, I have one of those low end ibanez's and they are good for the price. But I hear that yamaha pacifica also recommended a lot.

Can you look at used gear, you can find very good prices.
If i was to look at getting a 2nd hang guitar say out of the paper etc what would i be looking for in person as to any deffects like i said im a complete beginner and wouldnt know what to look or hear for.
You cant go wrong with the Roland. Of the guitars you mentioned, i would look into the pacifica. And no guitar in that price range has a very good resale. Why sell it anyway? Just keep it and play it! And i would stay away from Ibanez, especially in that price range, they are junk. You can do better.
Last edited by IPlaySchecter at Nov 14, 2008,
Quote by MisterSinister
If i was to look at getting a 2nd hang guitar say out of the paper etc what would i be looking for in person as to any deffects like i said im a complete beginner and wouldnt know what to look or hear for.

Do you know anyone who knows anything at all about guitars to bring along with you when you are looking at used guitars?
EDIT: ^ yeah, i'd be very wary of buying second-hand as a beginner if you don't have a trusted guitar playing friend (who knows a lot about setups etc.).

pacifica 112v (the newer one)and microcube would be a great choice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Unfortunately i dont know anyone who plays guitar which sucks, most of my mates are into the electro scene so are into there decks etc
i got a squier showmaster for my first, not the best but better than the pacifica
I started playing guitar a month ago. Had great fun picking out one in the shop on a limited budget.

I bought a Washburn Nuno Bettencourt N2 for R2500 = 250 USD
Also a Roland Cube 30 amp for another 2500.

So in total a spent R5000. Maybe things are a bit cheaper in Oz coz our money went for a ball of sh it over the last few months.

The amp absolutely rocks. Cant imagine a better amp for the price.

I LOVE my guitar. For the price the sound is VERY nice. Two humbuckers that can be selected as single coils too.

Please note that my model was made in Korea and it looks 10 times nicer than the crap Washburn gets made in China lately. Dont buy a Chinese model. The Korean one though is a beaut.

Hope you get gear that puts a smile on your face. Happy playing!
I started out on the Pacifica 112 and strongly recommend it. It will be very difficult to find another more versatile guitar with the same construction quality at the same price.

Like others have said, the microtube is a great little practice amp. If you want to compare it to another good practice amp, check out the Vox DA5. I think the Vox has better clean and near-clean tones, and the microtube does high-gain sounds better.
Get roland Micro Cube.

Get Schecter Omen-6 <- Great Metal Axe. And it costs not that much .
I paid 290 :P.
I was in the same boat as you, got a Schecter Omen 6 for $300. It's a great beginner guitar, more suited for metal.
I have played a Squire (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Affinity-Series-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-102545738-i1146349.gc) exstensively, and can't really say anything bad about it. So if you want to go a little bit cheap on the guitar and get a better amp or a pedal.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Ive saved a little to put towards a better quality guitar and ive been keeping an eye out on ebay and ive come across a epiphone sg-400 and blueline 50r which is apparently less than a year old also comes with tuner, strap and all that stuff, its listed at 700 aus which is roughly 450us is this a good deal ... is it worth getting.
Last edited by MisterSinister at Nov 27, 2008,
my friend has about 3 Ibanez's and says that their necks are really cheap and they all broke. personally i started with a starcaster starter pack and i have to say it played great. the amp especially has great tone and its perfect for small spaces. mabey not for thrash or metal though but i doubt youll start playing shredding metal solos after a year or so.
In that price range go used. You'll be much better off.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Buying a used guitar if you know what you are doing is a great way to get bargains. If you are a beginner then buying used is a bit risky unless you have someone who knows what they are doing going with you.

The microcube is great for a beginners amp and the Pacifica is seen as a good beginners guitar. The thing is to spend enough to get a half decent guitar like the Pacifica as they sound better and are easier to play
^ agreed 100%.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
epi special ll 's are amazing, ive had mine 2 years, i gig with it
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
I am in the same boat as MisterSinister. Found a Schecter C-1 Elite Diamond Series on craigslist, with Seymour Duncan pickups, hard case, footswitch, monster cable, headphones, speaker cable, strap with strap locks and three books. They want $
is there an amp too?

only problem with buying used as a beginner is that you likely won't know how to set the thing up etc., or determine if it's in good condition.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?