I'd really like to learn a few Poison tracks - much of their lead guitar work is pretty fast though. Is it just a case of slowing down the track, learning it slow and then working up to full speed??

Typically I'm not that quick yet finger-wise - presumably learning this way will also improve my speed generally??
Quote by fenderfan03
I'd really like to learn a few Poison tracks - much of their lead guitar work is pretty fast though. Is it just a case of slowing down the track, learning it slow and then working up to full speed??

Yes
Quote by fenderfan03
Typically I'm not that quick yet finger-wise - presumably learning this way will also improve my speed generally??

With practice, yes.
Time is the only thing that will get you faster. As in, the more time you spend practicing scales, alternate picking, hammer-ons/pull-offs, and other techniques. It sucks, but it's really the only way. Give it an hour a day every day and you'll get there eventually. Take it from a guy who hasn't put in enough time and isn't as fast as he would like to be haha.
learn how to play it correctly at a much slower tempo, then gradually kick it up. . . . .
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
I find it easy to learn lead in Guitar Pro. Break everything down into sections, memorize it, practice it, then turn on the Speed Trainer and do that for about an hour.
Playing fast comfortably just comes with age and practice. Just practice cleanly. It's all good if you can play fast. But it doesnt mean anything if it doesnt sound good. Just dont try to hard for it. Some one who can play cleanly, no matter how slow or fast, will always be better than the guy that can play at 300bpm. But hits every string and lets them ring.
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
It all comes down to practice. In fact, just about everything about guitar comes down to practice.
Yep. The key is to practice slow and get your fingers comfortable with the movements. Think of it in terms of anything athletic, say basketball.

When you first start out, simply dribbling the ball while standing still is difficult, and you look at the guys running up and down the court dribbling between their legs without missing a beat and wonder how they do it. However, after a lot of practice and dedication, pretty soon you don't even have to think about the action of dribbling and you can concentrate on moving up and down the court etc. Same basic principle, first you have to be so comfortable with the action that you don't even need to think about it, then you gradually are able to do it faster or slower without much difficulty.

tl;dr: Just stick with it and practice slowly and accurately, you'll nail it
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play