So last night something weird happened to me,

I got woken up at about 2am by my brother going into the bathroom and then quickly fell back to sleep (or so I thought). In my dream I got out of bed for some reason, got changed and then walked downstairs, once I got to the bottom of the stairs I turned around again and then went back to bed. Then I woke up again when my brother came into the room (we share a bedroom) and after seeing me awake he asked me "Did someone just go downstairs?" I just said I hear anything and then went back to sleep but I was really freaked out. I was definately asleep when I imagined myself getting out of bed but this made me think that for some reason I actually did this completely pointless act and wondering how I saw myself doing it without having any control over myself, I was thinking it was possibly to do with REM but I can't be sure.

Any one else experienced something similar or know what's going on?

tl;dr - I had a dream I walked somewhere and apparently I actually did it whilst sleeping, any ideas why I could have done that?
It's impossible to sleep walk whilst in REM sleep as your body is paralysed. Dreaming may not happen in REM sleep however and sleepwalking occurs in the early part of the sleep cycle. As your sleep was disturbed your higher brain function ssuch as memory would have been active so that is why you remember the dream.
I had a dream where I whistled for a cab and when it came near the licence plate said fresh and there were dice in the mirror
If anything, i could have said this cab was rare but i thought, nah forget it, you homes to Bel Air

Next thing i knew, my life got flip-turned upside down :S
Quote by Four-Strings
I had a dream where I whistled for a cab and when it came near the licence plate said fresh and there were dice in the mirror
If anything, i could have said this cab was rare but i thought, nah forget it, you homes to Bel Air

Do you just do this constantly? I'm pretty sure all the posts I've seen from you have been Bel Air lyrics...
Quote by Four-Strings

Yeah ... i'm sure you're getting banned pretty soon.

And thanks to all the people who replied with helpful comments.
I agree with atthedrive-thru. I feel sorry for that guy who bakes cakes in his sleep and jumps out of windows and stuff. I think that is rather hysterical.
I once had a dream where i was taking a leak in my older brothers shoe.. turns out i was
Dude, it's the cheese man.

Too much cheese = trippy shit in your sleepy.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Four-Strings

Attempt at a Reverse Bel-Air? (see http://xkcd.com/464/ )

Back on topic, I don't think I have ever sleepwalked before however its possible I just don't remember. People say I talk in my sleep...but I think that's normal.
A power bigger than the pain.
i used to sleepwalk to i hopefully dont do it now cause yesterday i had a dream where there were snakes in this dorm room and they were every where and u thought some of them were poisonous so i called 911 and told them to get animal people to get all of these snakes. i was yelling because it some how got really really loud. then i opened the door and these black people were outside in school desks which had more snakes on them. the black people picked up the snakes and walked into the room i was in waving them in my face. so i picked up my box cutter and started to kill the snakes in their hands. i was yelling at them as well. the people left and i looked at the dead snakes, which were fake. i woke up and checked my phone if i called 911 thank god i didnt. it was a weird dream to say the least.
Quote by nincompoop
potcorn56, you are a god.
I have a habit of talking or moving around in relation to what I'm talking about.
I remember one time my girlfriend was watching TV and I was nodding off, and I had this dream that she had my drink and I told her to give it back. Apparently I actually reached out, and when I woke up she was looking at me funny asking me what I wanted. (There was no drink)
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Quote by Splif-Burton
It's impossible to sleep walk whilst in REM sleep as your body is paralysed. Dreaming may not happen in REM sleep however and sleepwalking occurs in the early part of the sleep cycle. As your sleep was disturbed your higher brain function ssuch as memory would have been active so that is why you remember the dream.

what? During REM sleep your dreams are more vivid and life-like, so I don't know what you mean about dreaming not happening in REM sleep. You dream in both REM and non-REM sleep.

And that last sentence makes absolutely no sense at all. I am a biopsychology major at UCSB and we spent quite some time studying sleep, and brain function.

Anyways man, don't worry about sleepwalking, it is completely normal in some people. It tends to run in families and most people grow out of it. Also people can't remember sleep walking, your brain function during non-REM sleep is much to low to be able to recall vividly your actions. So maybe you just dreamt that you were sleep walking and it was a coincidence your brother thought he heard someone downstairs.

hope that was some help
Did anyone else read the thread title as Sleep Wanking?
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
a week ago, I woke up at the front door (inside ofcourse) with an ironing board lying on top of me, I must've walked out in the hallway and tripped over it, and it fell on me and I woke up.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by Ed Hunter

No I sorted that problem ages ago. Thanks to everyone who posted, you were all very helpful.
Quote by Ed Hunter

...Yes...

Seriously though, sleep walking happens. It's not something I can recall ever doing, but I know people with some good stories. Stuff like dreaming about making a sandwich, and waking up with one's face on a piece of bread coated in peanut butter, or waking up halfway through a run around the block.

So it goes.
There will probably be a signature here at some point.