Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I played through a Peavey 6505+ halfstack the other day for about 20 mins and I could not get a good distortion tone out of that sucker, I messed with both channels, primarily the lead channel but still couldnt get it done. I've been wanting to get a used 5150 combo soon and figured this would have a fairly similar sound to it.

I was playing through my Schecter C-1 EX Blacjack Baritone

I like to play to MeloDeath stuff and am wanting a tone similar to Arch Enemy (Blood on Your Hands is the PERFECT example of what I want) that is very heavy and deep (I am a Rhythm guy) but still has a good lead bite for the occasional highs.

My budget is fairly low, probably somewhere in the range of $500-$700, I would prefer a combo.

I know there are amps that can get this, what should I look into?
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
did you turn it up?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Theres plenty of reason for it not to be as good as youve heard. Maybe there were bad tubes in it, maybe the way you EQ'd it, I don't know, but I have a combo, I know someone that has the 6505+ and it sounds truly amazing. I like it better than my combo.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
Well, older Arch Enemy is pretty much a boosted 5150...

+1 to Lemoninfluence. Also, what were your settings?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Theres alot of factors.. What volume level, what tubes, what cab and what settings...

Also there equipment list...

Michael Amott
Randall Signature V2 Ninja amplifiers and cabinets (silver tolex)
Peavey 5150 (Pre-Doomsday Machine)
Randall V2
Randall RM-100 with Blackface (cleans), Ultra XL (Rhythm), and Ultra XL (lead) modules
Krank Krankenstein
Krank Revolution

Christopher Amott
Peavey JSX Amps
Randall RM100 head
Did you try it in a store?

If so, you can't really turn it up enough to get a god sound out of it. Also, it might have been sitting around for a while so the tubes might be bad.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
It was at GC and I'm not a douche so I didnt get it very loud, I know that a low volume level is going to affect a half-stacks tone, but it couldnt be as much as I heard. I actually did get it quite loud one time and it wasnt much better.

the settings were:

Lead channel
Pre (drive): full
Post (volume): 1/2-1
Low: 3/4-full
Mid: 0-half
High: 1/2-3/4

EDIT: it was played through the 6505+ cab that matches it

Quote by Metalcoresoul
It was at GC and I'm not a douche so I didnt get it very loud, I know that a low volume level is going to affect a half-stacks tone, but it couldnt be as much as I heard. I actually did get it quite loud one time and it wasnt much better.

the settings were:

Lead channel

Well at a GC I was trying Mesa Roadking combos and a Dual Recto, and for the life of me I couldn't get a decent tone out of them. Volume really makes a huge difference.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Full on the pre drive I'm gunna guess is your problem.

I got a kick ass tone out of a 6505 with pre on about 4.
^ this.

Those amps dish out so more overdrive, if you're maxing it out, you're going to get too much fuzz.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by iamtompublic
Full on the pre drive I'm gunna guess is your problem.

I got a kick ass tone out of a 6505 with pre on about 4.

+1

Also the the stockers are not the best speakers and you dont know if they have even been broken in. 1/2-1 volume will equal quite a bit of fizz and match that with gain dimed you have yourself a pretty horrible sounding amp. And thats before we even get into bad tubes and so forth...
Quote by Metalcoresoul
Hey guys, I played through a Peavey 6505+ halfstack the other day for about 20 mins and I could not get a good distortion tone out of that sucker, I messed with both channels, primarily the lead channel but still couldnt get it done. I've been wanting to get a used 5150 combo soon and figured this would have a fairly similar sound to it.

I was playing through my Schecter C-1 EX Blacjack Baritone

I like to play to MeloDeath stuff and am wanting a tone similar to Arch Enemy (Blood on Your Hands is the PERFECT example of what I want) that is very heavy and deep (I am a Rhythm guy) but still has a good lead bite for the occasional highs.

My budget is fairly low, probably somewhere in the range of $500-$700, I would prefer a combo.

I know there are amps that can get this, what should I look into?

90% of arch enemys' tone lies in the hands of andy sneap. amazing recording engineer.

i believe he has also produced some of the later nevermore CDs as well.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
As an owner of one of these amps, i agree with the majority of people here, they are amazing amps. Especially with a BBE sonic maximizer through the Effects loop.
Plus the EQ that you were using it on wouldn't help the overall sound, and the volume you was using it at. They need to be turned up loud, and having the pre-gain up full doesn't help, i have mine at barely 7.
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
lol you had your gain maxed wow, gain at about 5 is more than enough, you muddied it up
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
no wonder you got a crap tone with those settings.

lower the pre gain and increase the post as much as you can without getting too loud.

increase your mids too.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
no wonder you got a crap tone with those settings.

lower the pre gain and increase the post as much as you can without getting too loud.

increase your mids too.

Exactly.
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by Metalcoresoul

the settings were:

Lead channel

Those settings would make any amp sound like muddy, undefined shit.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Those settings would make any amp sound like muddy, undefined shit.

Those are the settings I use on my Line 6 Spider III (yeah yeah, I know) so I am not used to experimenting with the EQ settings on tube amps.

Quote by Dust_to_Dust
As an owner of one of these amps, i agree with the majority of people here, they are amazing amps. Especially with a BBE sonic maximizer through the Effects loop.
Plus the EQ that you were using it on wouldn't help the overall sound, and the volume you was using it at. They need to be turned up loud, and having the pre-gain up full doesn't help, i have mine at barely 7.

I am seeing several models of BBE sonic maximizer's (362, 462, etc.), which do you own and what exactly do they do? I am not familiar with effects processors like this

Quote by Metalcoresoul
I am seeing several models of BBE sonic maximizer's (362, 462, etc.), which do you own and what exactly do they do? I am not familiar with effects processors like this

Its the stomp pedal version, the White and red box one haha, it still goes through the effects loop though.
EDIT: This one
http://www.bbesound.com/products/stomp_boxes/SonicStomp/index.asp

Quote by Metalcoresoul
Those are the settings I use on my Line 6 Spider III (yeah yeah, I know) so I am not used to experimenting with the EQ settings on tube amps.

Well there's your problem, you have to play around with amps till you find a setting you like.
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Last edited by Dust_to_Dust at Nov 14, 2008,
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
Its the stomp pedal version, the White and red box one haha, it still goes through the effects loop though.
EDIT: This one
http://www.bbesound.com/products/stomp_boxes/SonicStomp/index.asp

Well there's your problem, you have to play around with amps till you find a setting you like.

Seems like a neat little pedal, would it do essentially the same thing as say the 362 rack version?

And for clarification, no pun intended, what the BBE will do is "clear up" the sound, essentially making a muddy distortion richer i.e.?

^^problem solved.

it's forgivable that you're not used to EQing a quality amp, when you've been stuck with a spider. but now that you know, you need to go back, try it again, and do what we suggested. THEN make a more accurate assumption of the amp.

slash_edit: and a boost WON'T clear up muddy distortion, it'll just add a boost to it. what you wanna do is put the gain lower, and boost THAT. that'll keep it from muddying up. and to make it clear as possible, you'll need an EQ pedal- not a necessity at first, but eventually you'll see that they're pretty essential to getting precise tone.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Last edited by slash_rocks2005 at Nov 14, 2008,
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^problem solved.

it's forgivable that you're not used to EQing a quality amp, when you've been stuck with a spider. but now that you know, you need to go back, try it again, and do what we suggested. THEN make a more accurate assumption of the amp.

Yes, I do plan too, hopefully sometime this weekend.

Quote by Metalcoresoul
Seems like a neat little pedal, would it do essentially the same thing as say the 362 rack version?

And for clarification, no pun intended, what the BBE will do is "clear up" the sound, essentially making a muddy distortion richer i.e.?

Yep, it does the same thing as the rack version, this stomp pedal is a newer design too.
I personally know someone in a band that is selling his rack version for the pedal one.

Put it this way, it sounds like your taking a matress off the speakers, it made my amp sound alot better, i can even get a nice soloing sound out of it, which is rare for 6505's.
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
^alrighty man, well here's hoping that it'll sound much better this time around

and turning up an amp loud doesn't necessarily mean you're a douche, it's necessary if you're gonna REALLY test a tube amp's potential. now if you're just trying to show off and drown out other people, that's a different story. but just tell them at GC that you want to get some volume so it can breathe and here it while it's working in it's comfortable volume zone.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
Yep, it does the same thing as the rack version, this stomp pedal is a newer design too.
I personally know someone in a band that is selling his rack version for the pedal one.

Put it this way, it sounds like your taking a matress off the speakers, it made my amp sound alot better, i can even get a nice soloing sound out of it, which is rare for 6505's.

That's what I was wanting to hear , I'd assume it'd do a crapload for my Line 6 until I buy the 5150.

I cant remember if the line6 has an effects loop, but if not, you can use it as a normal pedal.

Good choice on the 6505 though, i got mine at a bargain price
£600 brand new

depending where your from, theres a place in birmingham UK, called fairdeal music? They should have the BBE pedal instock there, The guy Luke's the one in the band and he recommened it me.
I think i got it for £60 as i had it discounted when i brought the ESP, I'm not sure on the RRP but I think its maybe £90. But worth every penny.
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
using a boost on a digital modelling amp like the spider will NOT sound good...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
^^
Its not really a boost as such, while it does boost the signal, it cleans up all the crap thats in it.
But if hes buying a 6505 anyway, its best he gets it for that.
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
I cant remember if the line6 has an effects loop, but if not, you can use it as a normal pedal.

Good choice on the 6505 though, i got mine at a bargain price
£600 brand new

depending where your from, theres a place in birmingham UK, called fairdeal music? They should have the BBE pedal instock there, The guy Luke's the one in the band and he recommened it me.
I think i got it for £60 as i had it discounted when i brought the ESP, I'm not sure on the RRP but I think its maybe £90. But worth every penny.

I'm from the US so yeah haha, the Line6 does not have an effects loop so I could just route it as I would a normal pedal.

Yes, you should be able to, good luck with it all
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
^^
Its not really a boost as such, while it does boost the signal, it cleans up all the crap thats in it.
But if hes buying a 6505 anyway, its best he gets it for that.

So it is boosting the HZ?

Quote by Metalcoresoul
So it is boosting the HZ?

Im not sure exactly how it works, but it does what it says on the tin.
You can really hear the difference

The manual says:

Loudspeakers have difficulty working with electronic signals supplied by an amplifier.
These difficulties can cause major phase and amplitude distortion that the sound reproduced by the speakers differ significantly from the sound produced by the original source.

It also shows that it can be used as a normal pedal would.
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
i don't think a sonic maximizer is gonna clean up muddy digital distortion...ionno i never tried a boost for SS distortion. i think an EQ pedal is the only thing that would clear up muddy SS distortion.

and if he's gonna get the 6505, a boost is good yea. but TS, don't expect that boost to make your spider MUCH nicer sounding...boosts work about 100 times better on tube amps. and that's not etlist tube talk, that's fact.

good luck
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i don't think a sonic maximizer is gonna clean up muddy digital distortion...ionno i never tried a boost for SS distortion. i think an EQ pedal is the only thing that would clear up muddy SS distortion.

and if he's gonna get the 6505, a boost is good yea. but TS, don't expect that boost to make your spider MUCH nicer sounding...boosts work about 100 times better on tube amps. and that's not etlist tube talk, that's fact.

good luck

Yeah, I know what youre sayin , thanks man.

Quote by Dust_to_Dust
Im not sure exactly how it works, but it does what it says on the tin.
You can really hear the difference

The manual says:

Loudspeakers have difficulty working with electronic signals supplied by an amplifier.
These difficulties can cause major phase and amplitude distortion that the sound reproduced by the speakers differ significantly from the sound produced by the original source.

It also shows that it can be used as a normal pedal would.

Yeah, I really want to get this now. I cant seem to find anywhere what the knobs themselves do individually, what are their individual functions?

Good luck with the 6505, theyre great amps when you EQ them right.
really reliable too

EDIT: FOR TS

The Low Contour Control: Regulates the amount of phase corrected bass frequencies.
In english: Controls the overall bass

Process Control: Regulates the amount of phase correction.
This is the most important one imo, as that one makes the most difference, its like a treble booster as such.

Thats all the buttons/knobs on it.
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
Good luck with the 6505, theyre great amps when you EQ them right.
really reliable too

EDIT: FOR TS

The Low Contour Control: Regulates the amount of phase corrected bass frequencies.
In english: Controls the overall bass

Process Control: Regulates the amount of phase correction.
This is the most important one imo, as that one makes the most difference, its like a treble booster as such.

Thats all the buttons/knobs on it.

Haha cool man, alright, thanks for your help guys, I'll post back here once I try out the 6505+ again with the knowledge I have now .

Quote by Metalcoresoul

well theres your problem.

/mythbusters reference
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah