Can someone offer an explanation on how the "pros" use an FX loop?

I like running my Tube Screamer in front of the amp and then putting Delay and Flanger through the effects loop. This works fine at practice and small shows where I am standing pretty close to my amp anyway, but what am I supposed to do when playing a larger stage where my amp needs to be like 15 feet from the pedal board?

By my count, that's three 15 ft cables (Preamp In, FX Send, FX Return) in addition to whatever I run from the guitar to the board (usually another 15 ft or so). That's like 60 ft of cable, which I know has to kill tone.

Am I missing something? How's this handled professionally? Do the guitar techs backstage just handle all of the switching for them close to the amp?
You could keep your amp close to you if possible, otherwise you could turn up the level on the pedals to push the signal through harder if you're noticing a drop.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
If you use high quality low capacitance cables you'll be alright.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
an fx loop is expecting a long line of cables so it has a built in "boost" so to speak to help the signal keep its strength all the way through the line

with my amp, I actually dont use the fx loop, I put all my effects in front of the pre-amp, sounds better with mine - but each amp is different so you gotta play around and find out what works best with your gear

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
i've tried the delay in front of the amp, and it actually gives the delay this rough edge that i personally am not going for.

even with quality capacitance cables, isn't 60 ft just too much? won't i be loosing a lot of highs? kind of would like to figure this out, before i go buy a bunch of long, expensive cables.
Quote by theherodies
i've tried the delay in front of the amp, and it actually gives the delay this rough edge that i personally am not going for.

even with quality capacitance cables, isn't 60 ft just too much? won't i be loosing a lot of highs? kind of would like to figure this out, before i go buy a bunch of long, expensive cables.

Naw if you have active pickups + that tube screamer then don't worry about how much cable is from your axe the amp itself.

Like someone said above (I can't verify this. Just restating) the FX loop has a "boost" on it (makes sense you already have the preamp's volume adjustment to it?) which should give it more fire going through the cables.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
just an idea but have you thought about a couple of wireless setups? 1 for guitar to amp and one for loop? i have no experience with these but maybe someone here is able to offer an opinion as to which is better (60ft of cable or wireless).

personally i have about 30ft of cable and thats just for a practice amp - mainly because of using a long cable from my guitar but i compared that with shorter cables and i kind of prefer losing a little of the treble. .

have you tried your setup with shorter cables to find if your missing out on anything? sometimes its better to just follow your ears and not common sense. if all else fails id suggest an EQ in the loop
Quote by theherodies
Am I missing something? How's this handled professionally? Do the guitar techs backstage just handle all of the switching for them close to the amp?

i know a few do (e.g. brian may). depends on how often you want to be using the effects and whether you have someone available to do the switching for you. apparently brian may has his tech do the effects switching to allow him to have more freedom onstage
Quote by clear and blue
just an idea but have you thought about a couple of wireless setups? 1 for guitar to amp and one for loop? i have no experience with these but maybe someone here is able to offer an opinion as to which is better (60ft of cable or wireless).

I heard that when the switch to digital television here in the US takes place, all the digital channels for wireless music will get interference. A buddy of mine who does setup for a lot of performances warned me this.

I'll stick to cables personally...
Quote by sargasm
Well the way I handle things like this is I dont run something from the FX loop all the way over to my pedal board. Pedal board = in front of amp. FX Floop = Rack space
Quote by Tyler Durden
an fx loop is expecting a long line of cables so it has a built in "boost" so to speak to help the signal keep its strength all the way through the line

I'm still just gonna assume this fella is right...
Quote by sargasm